Thread: Hatsan .177 55s

Hatsan .177 55s

.177 Hatsan 55s

http://www.hatsan.com.tr/airguns_mod_55_s.asp

http://www.hatsan.com.tr/airguns_quattro_sas.asp

Hi all

Having a large selection and quantity of .177 pellets sitting around and nothing to ‘chuck ‘ them with I picked up a new in box Hatsan 55s for £85 from the local dealer.
    This was only intended to be a back garden open sight plinker to bash a few tin cans and spinners until the ammo ran out then would be disposed of no doubt or shoved in the loft

Quite a nicely figured walnut stock was the 1st surprise, quatro trigger unit and the Hatsan blurb said SAS, shock absorber system fitted.
    Blueing is best described as ‘budget’ or functional as is the general finish of the metal work.
    Fibre optic sights fitted as standard.

Out of the box there was plenty of spring ‘grind’ as the action was cocked and sounded like a piano being given a good kick when it was fired! All manner of boings, squeaks and clunks that went on for ages after the shot had hit it seemed.
    The break action was stiff as well on both opening and closing. Was running about 9.5-10 Ft/Lb with RWS super domes
    Ahh well for £85 it would do its job.

After the 1st half tin of pellets things seemed to easing up somewhat mechanically but not in the musical department.
    So stripped down completely. Despite the 3 substantial cross pins and a nut and post also securing the cylinder end plug I was expecting some serious spring preload, but there was absolutely none in this sub 12 ft/lb model (I believe they run much higher abroad?)
    Absolutely bone dry within, and plenty of gaps between the piston and spring.
    1st thing was to manufacture a spring sleeve which was accomplished using a sheet of thin plastic courtesy of a 2 litre milk jug/carton/bottle ( whatever they are called now!) rolled into a cylinder of piston length, the ends cut lengthwise and tucked in so that the spring would hold it against the piston end when inserted.
    The cocking slot in cylinder was gently filed and generally cleaned up and immediately one source of cocking grind was eliminated.
    Usual lube job followed after the piston was polished using good grease and moly in the right places.
    Added a washer to the piston in front of the spring down inside my ‘custom’ spring sleeve.

All back together and back to the range.
    After 20 or so settling shots all was transformed.
    Nice smooth cocking cycle with a positive click and a nice snappy music free firing cycle.
    That shock absorber system, basically a rubber bush in a circular housing that sits between the forward cross bolt that secures the action to the stock does feel different even to my super smooth Weihrauchs, so will assume it’s doing ‘something’ in the overall feeling stakes

There was a faint whiff of burning lubes and power had broken the 12 ft barrier so was thinking that the washer was going to have to come back out but persevered with another half tin and it fell back to a stable 11.4 with .177 Bis mags. Think it may have been the burning lubes I probably slopped about a little too freely (it was dry in there!) but will keep an eye on it.
    Well worth the effort for its £85 price tag, got the quatro set up nicely for a predictable break, got ever more impressed by it that a scope was put on and even a set of swivels and a sling.
    It won’t be going back into the loft after the ammo has run dry, well over 3 thousand pellets down its barrel so far and it just got better and better.
    Power still stable, and plenty of accuracy to boot. Still looks budget in the metalwork dept. but for the money and effort required to transform I would highly recommend
    Last edited by slowcoach; 28-03-2013 at 03:35 PM.

hatsan 55s

Great review & sounds a good gun on a budget, is this a copy of the exocet does anyone know?

I had the 60S, same gun but in .22 and I recently sold it to another forum member and thoroughly regret doing so

Like yours mine squeaked and groaned when cocking but fettled well and was super-consistent and very accurate when I was done with it.

Maybe I need another one as a project...

Cheers forgot to add that last week in the snow coke cans were hung out on garden frames at 30 40 50 and 60 yards.

Zeroed @ 30 and using the mil dots even in the mild cross wind shots were easy to spot with the puffs of snow indicating the margin by which the missed shots could be corrected. All cans hit repeatedly and with good groups and even the 60 yarder punctured top to bottom through the thickest part of the aluminium can.

Without the snow to show the way in which the shots were flying I doubt such hit rates for me would be repeatedly made, but it did show the accuracy and power levels at extended range and was quite a confidence booster.

But bugger me it was cold loading, fumbling with frozen fingers those tiny .177 pellets!

I bought a 60s last week for £75.
    Cocks smoothly and is doing 11.6 with accupells.
    Really looking forward to some serious plinking with it.

Good stuff if it is new it will run in with a couple of tins through it no doubt. Quite a good rifle especially for the money and one you won't mind using in all weathers and conditions if out pest controlling in the field

I bought mine 2nd hand but it is as new.
    Im really suprised at how easy it is to cock. I even got the shop to chrono it for me as I was worried about spring damage.
    They had it doing 11.8 with air arms field pellets.
    £75 for a rifle with a walnut ( ? ) stock, not bad is it.

thats a very good price where did you get it from im looking at get the 55s and tey seem to be the £100 mark you seem to have a got yourself a bargin

Bought from McAvoys in Standish Lancs.
    As I said it is 2nd hand but mint. They have some good bargains to be had.

Thanks I will put that in the memory bank for if im ever up that way .