Thread: air stripper vs moderator

air stripper vs moderator

Reading article in a mag this month, highlighting the accuracy differential between an Air-stripper for Bench Rest Target air rifle and a Sound Moderator. The difference in windy conditions was quite marked in favour of the air-stripper for accuracy, so thoughts on having barrel threaded to take both.
    Will possibly only get one very accurate shot at a bunny, but very loud, or not quite so accurate, but quiet. take your pick?
    Field walking with a shotgun, one shot and all rabbits run for cover, but i only want to fill the onepot at home. choices, advice please?

It's a no brainer for huntingas the difference is actually a Fannies hair from stripper to silencer.You are not talking massive accuracy difference here .You are in reality talking a hairs breadth on a paper target.For hunting that is is niether here nor there on a killing shot.Don't go getting all tricked up for a field gun it really does not give any advantage whatsoever.
    Next thing you know you will be washing and weighing your pellets before putting them in their own little nest so they are not damaged by contact with one another
    Bit of common sense needed here I think,If there was a need for this then it would be widespread practice by those of us who knew that the stripper gave better accuracy for target shooting.But then we also know that a hairs width is only of value when scoring a card in competition.
    Its horses for courses me old fruit,no need for strippers in hunting.Concentrate on your fieldcraft and even a springer will get you resultsyes thats right an old skool spring rifle can fill a bag just as easily as a pcp
    [URL=http://www.ukchineseairgunforum.org.uk/index.php[/URL]

air stripper

Hi,
    Am I not right in thinking that technically speaking a sound moderator/silencer is a form of air stripper, in both cases the pellet has exited the barrel...in the stripper the majority of the air is released to the surrounding atmostphere and in the silencer the majority of the air is contained and slowed down in the baffled tube and exits after the pellet has gone, in both cases we are talking about milli-seconds.
    Not sure why one should affect accuracy and the other doesn't.
    Ken

Talking

worry not my friend, buy yourself an AIRWOLF
    HFT crazey,
    M.V.A.C.

My advise.....
    If you want to hunt use a silencer
    If you want to do target shooting i.e FT / HFT then go for the stripper
    A Wise Man Can Act A Fool, A Fool Can Not Act Wise

mod stripper

when i use my mod i find the mod is just as accurate as with the mod off in fact the mod acts as a muzzle weight.
    i cannot see how my gun could be more accurate at 30 yards, so see no need for an air stripper, however i have rairly used on.
    its pellet on pellet at 30 yards.

if i put an air stripper on the rifle it could not be more accurate, so i do not see a need for it.
    my atitude is if it aint broke don't fix it.

I know its an old thread but....

A stripper allows the pellet to start its flightpath in non turbulent air by stripping air the air as it exits the barrel, expands and buffets the pellet. Another function of some stripper is to use the air as it expands to push the barrel down agianst the recoil, both of these function can only aid accuracy.They tend to be close to the muzzle and are set up to run exactly in line with the bore

A mod function is to strip away air and contain/slow it so that the noise is kept to a minimum. By doing so the pellet also starts its flightpath in non turbulent air BUT unless the mod is made very tight tolerances then the pellet will not travel through the dead centre of the baffles and endcap, even if it doesn't clip the baffles it can cause the pellet to be thrown off course (some mods can effect the POI by quite some margin but still be accurate) IF the mod is made to exacting tolerance then the pellet travel through the dead centre of the mods it then becomes a stripper that happens to be quiet but will not combat recoil.

Bb
    Last edited by bucketboy; 03-01-2013 at 07:02 PM.

I would'nt say there's a lot in it really accuracy wise. I used to hunt always with a mod on, now only (sometimes) fit one if in the woods when i'm at close quarters.

Shooting rabbits in open fields 9 times out of 10 with a mod on they still run at the sound of a shot anyway! don't bother any more,prefer a shorter gun with better balance.

However, with the 17hmr crack they still sit there! perhaps they're more confused and the fact that i'm over 100 yrds away,

Atb,Woody.