Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steyr LP2

Steyr LP2

Does anyone shoot an LP2 in 10 metre competitions?

I have just bought myself a new 2012 model LP2 with ball raced trigger and have to admit I have been more than a little surprised by its performance when compared with my LP10 and LP10E - it is a superb little pistol that has impressed us all at our club.

A fellow club member who shoots a Feinwerkbau P44 was not even slightly impressed when he had a go with my LP10 and LP10E recently, but as soon as he had a go with my new LP2 I had a few problems getting it back from him so I could have a shoot with it before it was time to go home and the range closed last Thursday night.

He was impresed enough to stump-up some cash and buy himself a new LP2 the next day, so now he has two really nice match pistols to choose from!

As the "poorer" and older member of the Steyr match pistol range I have to admit to being very surprised at it's very strong performance and also have to admit that it works better for me than my newer and "better" specification LP10 and LP10E pistols from the same manufacturer.

Anyone else been surprised by this lightweight match pistol?
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..
    A club mate of mine has had a few very successful seasons using an LP2, he even uses it for 20yard pistol comps! Personally I find them a bit too light,but am loving my new Morini 162 ei
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr

Quote Originally Posted by tufty View Post
    A club mate of mine has had a few very successful seasons using an LP2, he even uses it for 20yard pistol comps! Personally I find them a bit too light,but am loving my new Morini 162 ei
    The 162EI is a great pistol, and I am waiting for the new Morini 162EI Titan to arrive - but it is the so called "bottom of the range" LP2 that has surprised me the most out of all the match pistols I have shot so far.

I understand the light weight may not suite everyone - but it is a brilliant little surprise package that is so good to shoot.
    Last edited by zooma; 25-06-2012 at 10:06 PM.

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..
    Bob,I think this just goes to show that you can't rule out any pistol till you try it out,I have used my LP10 for years,and always ruled out a Morini because you can't alter the grip position,but when I spotted a LH one on guntrader,that was near me,I want round to have a look,and as soon as I picked it up I knew it would suit me, the sights came up perfectly,the grip fitted really well,and just loved the trigger,took it down to the club,and shot 518 ex 600 while sighting it in shot some 20yard cards on Sunday,and was averaging 84ex100

Not heard much about the Titan,is it just a lighter version?

Atb, Neale
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr

Nice shooting Neale - and it confirms your thoughts - nobody can be "brand loyal" if they want to find out what works best for them.

The Morini Titan has titanium parts in the trigger mech to give an even faster lock time, and the air cylinders have digital manometers in them. The pistol is also finished in a titanium colour to complete the image - apart from that it is the same pistol as yours ( as far as I know).

The point is that we all expect the pistols the pro's use (like the Morini 162ei, LP10E and FWB P44 etc) to deliver the results, but the little LP2 does it as well and it has surprised me!

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Hi Bob
    There you go! Now you now what I've been going on about for years, its not just the ramblings of a feeble minded old fart, well sometimes! But not this time!
    The Lp2 is a great pistol, but if you think that's good you need to try the compact version, half our club use them, juniors ,seniors, Ladies, old farts, and national team shooters, we have one shooting regular 570's with one! Hav'nt seen mine for ages, it's been lent to a 13 year old girl who is shooting 350+ with it.
    Good Shooting
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    Hi Bob
    There you go! Now you now what I've been going on about for years, its not just the ramblings of a feeble minded old fart, well sometimes! But not this time!
    The Lp2 is a great pistol, but if you think that's good you need to try the compact version, half our club use them, juniors ,seniors, Ladies, old farts, and national team shooters, we have one shooting regular 570's with one! Hav'nt seen mine for ages, it's been lent to a 13 year old girl who is shooting 350+ with it.
    Good Shooting
    Robin
    Yes I know you have been banging on about the good qaulities of the LP2 for years Robin, and I never doubted your findings - but there has been none around here to see or try, but when I clapped eyes on this one and groped it for a while I was confident enough to buy it and give it a try and it really is a very good performing pistol.

I need to get the trigger sorted - I have removed most of the first travel as it was too long as delivered, and is now the way I prefer it with a reduced first stage travel, but after shooting the trigger has a small (and gentle) kick back on the trigger blade so I would like to try and get rid of this to make it feel perfect.

It still shoots superbly for me, and it would not be the end of the world if I cant get rid of this small "after-feel", but my LP10 does not do this with the same amount of reduced first stage travel, so I am thinking it must be possible to adjust it out on the LP2 as well.

Lets hope I don't stumble aross an LP2 Compact in the near future - if it's better than the standard size LP2 it could be an expensive year for me!
    Last edited by zooma; 28-06-2012 at 07:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Yes I know you have been banging on about the good qaulities of the LP2 for years Robin, and I never doubted your findings - but there has been none around here to see or try, but when I clapped eyes on this one and groped it for a while I was confident enough to buy it and give it a try and it really is a very good performing pistol.

I need to get the trigger sorted - I have removed most of the first travel as it was too long as delivered, and is now the way I prefer it with a reduced first stage travel, but after shooting the trigger has a small (and gentle) kick back on the trigger blade so I would like to try and get rid of this to make it feel perfect.

It still shoots superbly for me, and it would not be the end of the world if I cant get rid of this small "after-feel", but my LP10 does not do with the same amount of reduced first stage travel, so I am thinking it must be possible to adjust it out on the LP2 as well.

Lets hope I don't stumble aross an LP2 Compact in the near future - if it's better than the standard size LP2 it could be an expensive year for me!
    Or if weight is an issue. you could try to use a short cylinder with the normal LP2. I think Pardini use to do that with its APs sometime back.
    Walther CPM 1

Quote Originally Posted by john_almighty View Post
    Or if weight is an issue. you could try to use a short cylinder with the normal LP2. I think Pardini use to do that with its APs sometime back.
    Interesting thought, and may be a good idea for some, but I find the LP2 to be as light as I need it to be...but I have not seen or shot an LP2 compact yet!
    Last edited by zooma; 27-06-2012 at 09:42 AM.

LP2 even better

I "borrowed" the 8 port disperser from the muzzle of my LP10E and fitted it to the LP2 before I went to the Rossendale Club last night.

Although it is difficult to assess fully, it did feel different and helped to stabilise the muzzle a little, and other club members commented they thought it had also lost a little of the fairly sharp "crack"the LP2 delivers when shot. ( it does have it's own distinctive "bark" when fired).

A fellow club member who has ordered a new LP2 also shot my pistol again last night and has promptly ordered an 8 port disperser to fit to his pistol when it arrrives, so the overall impression is that the disperser does work and may well be worth a try.

.I think I will put the 8 port plug back on the LP10E and try ithe LP2 again without it fitted, and maybe try the LP10E without it as well to see if I can really see and feel a difference!
    Last edited by zooma; 28-06-2012 at 11:23 AM.

Hi Bob,

I would be interested in your findings on your LP10 and the compensator. I have been considering one. One downside for me is they only do them in sliver and my Steyr is a black body with black cylinders. OK I'm being a bit of a tart here but surely they could supply them in black . But again, if it gives me a couple of extra points on my average

All the best

Mark

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Bob
    My LP2 Compact has the 8 port thingy on, and has from new so I can't tell you if it makes any difference, but if you think the full length one cracks you should hear the compact crack out! Pardon? Did you say something?
    My trigger does'nt kick back so it must be adjustment, ring the man up the road he'll know what to adjust.
    Sorry Mark I forgot to find out who supplies our club pellets, I'll e the man now and get back to you.
    Good shooting
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Hi Robin,

I have sorted the trigger out now - I preferred to work it out for myself to be honest rather than ask the man up the road you referred to, and now I know a little more to share with any other club member who may need some help with a trigger adjustment so they don't have to ask up the road either.

So the compact has an even louder bark eh?.that I want to hear!

Quote Originally Posted by markwarren View Post
    Hi Bob,

I would be interested in your findings on your LP10 and the compensator. I have been considering one. One downside for me is they only do them in sliver and my Steyr is a black body with black cylinders. OK I'm being a bit of a tart here but surely they could supply them in black . But again, if it gives me a couple of extra points on my average

All the best

Mark
    The 8 port thingy will look good up the spout of your black on black LP10, and if you find yourself looking at it enough to let the colour bother you, I think you must be holding the pistol the wrong way around!

Point it at the target and you will never get to see it!
    Last edited by zooma; 28-06-2012 at 11:24 AM.

Bob,

You need to take up coaching - I now know where I've been going wrong

All the best

Mark