Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: J. Blanch & Son 12 Bore Damascus: hammer spring replacement required

Watch this space... I left the gun with Mark over at J.Blanch's this morning, he's hoping to test fire it in the next couple of days to see if he can replicate the problem and perforate any primers to see how the pin is striking it.

General consensus is too heavy a spring combined with the sloppiness of the pin within it's 'tube' bringing us back to my earlier comment about the pin 'stroking' across the face of the cap and thereby perforating it.

Time will tell.

atb
    Fizz

Hello Fizz,
    Did you get your gun sorted out?

If so are you happy with it and how is it shooting?

enfield2band

Good morning E2B,

Thanks for the reminder.. I've thought about it a couple of times but life is a bit hectic at the moment....I'll give him a ring during the week.

I did speak to him after a week but, what with the Gamefair being cancelled (ie getting everything unpacked etc) and the wet weather he hadn't had a chance to get out and try and replicate the problem.

To be fair he did say it would be a month/6 weeks before he could get round to it due to other work in progress.

On a happier note I've discovered my Benelli 20 bore semi likes Rio 24g cartridges ... it was driving me nuts by throwing it's toys out of the pram and refusing to cycle any other maker's cartridges with a less than 30g load. Life is now fun again.

Good stuff,

Fizz

Good evening fizz,

Any news on the gun yet?

I hope you have not forgot it now you are having fun with the 20 bore.

Atb

Hi Enfield,

Good timing! I'm going over to collect it tomorrow morning, but.. I got an email on Monday saying they'd had a look and recommended shortening the rh pin to overcome the pierced primers problem.

They do think the rh lock spring is the original, but if they weakened it to match the lh spring, it may lead to misfiring problems in the future.

So, I'm just going to collect it and think on what to do next, I'm thinking of popping over to Ladbroke and Langtons where the pins were done, they may just have a spring to fit sat in the spare parts box.

So, no further forward at the mo unfortunately, but watch this space.

Cheers,
    Fizz

Oh yeah... the benelli 20 is definitely happy with the Rio's, so am I so I've just bought 2000 of them - 1000 each of 24gms 7's and 28gms 6's
    Last edited by fizzbangwhallop; 22-08-2012 at 09:12 PM. Reason: speling

Hi Enfield,

Collected her this morning and took it down to L&L's for them to have a look at - 1st impressions are that the RH spring is way too strong and if they haven't got one sat in the spares box they'll grind the current one down to match the LH spring.. they're also going to confirm if it's possible to convert her to re-bounding locks and give me a price on that.

I did ask about the sloppy pin 'tube' on the right and whether this would be worth some work to tighten it up to prevent the 'stroking action' of the pin in it's travel.... not worth looking at that for the time-being and the work would be obvious on the face... which could lead to some questions as to what's gone on if it was ever sold.

I'm in two minds about that.... clock makers often replace internal parts but messing with the face or hands detracts from the value as buyers like to see the original condition of those. I guess it's a fine balance between the choice at the mo... the gun must be worth a certain amount but would it devalue it drastically if it was done?? It is a very nice example of what some would say was a basic model with no fancy engraving etc etc

Back to watching this space for a couple of weeks then.

Cheers

Fizz

Hi fizz,
    I'm a bit perplexed about the apparent ineffectiveness of these gunsmiths? I have been involved with engineering most of my life and it does seem that the people who are assessing the repair are not too sure of themselves. I apologise if I am wrong.
    I have been using firearms for over 40 years and I have never come across a hammer gun that does not have matching spring tension on both hammers. In that respect they are probably right to grind the spring down, although if they are skilled, they should be able to forge a new one without too much trouble, or at least adapt one from another gun.
    Regarding the firing pin, I would expect it to be in a nipple. If it is why not renew the pin & nipple or sleeve the nipple and make a new pin? I am sure this would not detract from the originality of the gun and thus would not affect its value.

A visit to a small engineering workshop that deals with precision work may solve the problem if all else fails?

I do hope you get a lasting and satisfactory repair to the gun so you can continue to use it. There is nothing more perturbing than a gun that fails from time to time.

Good luck and all the best.
    e2b.

Hiya Fizz try these guys, give Geoff a ring on the number.

Superb engineering services, no affilliation on my part just a very happy customer
    and they are not a million miles away.

I had a percussion hammer and nipple repair and a superb barrel blacking job done
    all good stuff and in regular use

http://www.gpgunservices.co.uk/

Hi chaps,
    I'm happy that L&L's will do a proper job and whatever is necessary to get the gun back in shape, and as to why the springs are vastly different weights...... who can tell? It was probably the cheapest option at the time on a gun that probably wasn't appreciated as much as it is now.

The current pins and the nipples (although these are different) are in very good condition, the erosion on the face and behind it in the pin cavity is no doubt due to the highly corrosive nature of black powder, it's only been nitro'd since 2006. We'll see how it gets on with the lighter spring before going down that path.

That's me for now,
    Cheers
    Fizz

She's back!!

Well, the old girl is back and in fine fettle!

L&L's ground the spring to the point it almost matches the LH lock and serviced the locks to remove the bit of play they'd developed with use... normal wear n tear stuff.

Haven't fired her yet but I'm happy she'll be fine.

Job done!

Many thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions, much appreciated.

atb
    fizz

Hi Fizz,

I'm pleased to read you have got your gun sorted out.
    It is nice to know that a quality gun has been given a new lease of life.

I hope you have many enjoyable days shooting with her.

All the best.

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    Hi Fizz,

I'm pleased to read you have got your gun sorted out.
    It is nice to know that a quality gun has been given a new lease of life.

I hope you have many enjoyable days shooting with her.

All the best.
    Yeah, looking forward to it, she's lovely gun and a pleasure to shoot at whatever, especially so on little cock days (Lol!) And she shoots what I look at so I'm happy... one of 'those' guns that just fits and she'll outlive most people on the planet yet!

Good stuff,

atb
    Fizz