Thread: Good Pistol Shooting book - Pistol Shooting as Sport

Exclamation Good Pistol Shooting book - Pistol Shooting as Sport

Hi All,

I have a printed copy of the book (Pistol Shooting as Sport) that I am willing to send as a photocopy to anyone interested. It is a very good book, probably one the best written on Pistol shooting, very highly recommended. Sadly it is now out of print and sells for ridiculous amount as used on Amazon usually around £40 -£50 (currently selling for £50 on amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pistol-Shoot.../dp/071821109X).

I will send a copy to you by post for £20 including 2nd class postage (about 55 pages with 2 colour pages). All your copies will be printed by a corner shop owner from London, who sadly lost his shop during last year’s London riots and did not recover much of his losses from insurance. I have decided to help him out as much as I can by getting all your copies printed by him. The charges cover his photocopy charge and postage.

The photocopy will include a colour front and back cover and the black and white pages. The book is in black and white so you are not losing out on any colourful pages. Also it will be printed on single side with 2 pages on each side. The book’s pages are like a small paperback so the printout is fine to read and doesnot compromise on readability. I have decided on this layout etc to keep the total cost as low as possible.

Please pm me if you are interested for payment details (bank transfer prefered or paypal). I will need to accumulate orders before I can send it out. I am looking to get the first lot done this saturday if you pm me in time. If too many people are not keen, then I will not go for a second lot.

I got a few photocopied to give out to fellow shooters and the printshop owner very kindly scanned a sample for me. I have included a link for your reference. http://freepdfhosting.com/9ab461ea35.pdf

Regards,

John
    Walther CPM 1

Pistol Shooting as a Sport is available at present on ABE Books for around £10.00 plus £3.35 p&p. If you keep a lookout on a well known auction site copies come up there now and again for even less.

Whilst a useful book, it was first published in 1973 and AFAIK last reprinted in English in the early 1980s. Thus the rules and courses of fire are not up to date. The Psychological section is much bettered covered in other books; e.g Sporting Body Sporting Mind which will cost you around £3.50.

If I was to recommend a book that covers the basics of (air) pistol shooting really well I would suggest Training Shooting Sports (available from the NSRA as well). It is aimed at the teenage shooter but don't be put off by that. It contains an excellent detailed description of the pistol shot process, study of which would benefit the majority of senior shooters.

Rutty

My copy that I bagged through Abel books for £3.50 +pp arrived today, this was the original selling price in 1975. Currently they are around £13.50 incl pp. Well worth having, I am getting a lot from it.
    Evo 10 Compact.

RobinC is online now Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    The MEC outfit do a superb pistol coaching book called Olympisches Pistolenschiessen which is bang up to date and is on a par with their rifle ones, Air Rifle Shooting, and Ways of the Rifle. Sadly at the moment it is only available in German but if you are a non German speaker the good news is that they are in process of doing a translation, so watch out for it.
    Good Shooting
    Robin
    Last edited by RobinC; 27-06-2012 at 12:01 PM.
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

the good news is that they are in process of doing a translation
    Any idea who is doing the translation Robin? I had heard that Bill Murray declined the offer and they were having considerable difficulty finding anyone to take it on. The trouble with books like this is you have to find someone who is fluent in both languages and understands the technical elements in order that the full meaning is not lost in translation. I have had a lot of experience with documents that have been translated accurately but fail to convey the author's intention.

At least we are less insular than before. I have a copy of Sigfried Arnold's excellent but untranslated "Das Training des Sportschutzen", published around 1972. From the USA came Pullum and Hanenkrat's "Position Rifle Shooting", the first English language shooting text that dealt comprehensively with psychology. At that time the best that Britain could manage was Wilf Fuller's "Smallbore Target Shooting". It would appear that we were not on the same planet as Europe or the USA. Things are better now thank goodness.

Rutty
    Last edited by Rutty; 27-06-2012 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Additional paragraph

RobinC is online now Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutty View Post
    Any idea who is doing the translation Robin? Rutty
    Hi Rutty
    Not the faintest idea! We had a German copy loaned to us by a visiting German member, it was very good but it was a bit limited in its use to German speakers, so I checked to see if there would be a translation, Maik said yes, and it would be available next year, I know no more. We will be visiting MEC at Dortmund in September for some coaching, it will be on my list of questions.
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Just a note that a portion of "Training shooting Sports" is available online for free if anyone wants a look: http://www.openisbn.com/preview/1841...e%20&%20Pistol