Thread: More Webley Senior Questions.

More Webley Senior Questions.

Hello,

I recently bought a Webley Senior.

I think it needs a new breech seal.

Protek sell a leather one with brass insert

Chambers sell a rubber one which seems to have the same part number as a Tempest seal.

I read around the subject and it seems that a rubber one will ' pop straight in' but a leather one is a bit tricky to fit and needs a tool.

Is there any reason to not go for the rubber version ?

+

Does anybody know the length and thread size of the Senior Barrel joint stop/keeper screw.
    ( I recently found out that that Tempest rear sight screws are readily available at a fraction of the price from or electrical stores ; ab4 3/8" )

+

I have just bought some abbey LT2 grease.
    Do I put this on the piston ring as well as the spring; and do I apply it liberally or sparingly ?

Thank you for your help.
    Last edited by 0liver; 30-06-2012 at 09:57 AM.

Oliver,
    1. The rubber seal is more efficient and will last much longer. It may , however need trimming slightly to fit correctly. If you can't close the barrel easily then it will need trimming.to do this safely slide the seal onto a metal rod through the centre hole(a screwdriver shaft will do), make sure the seal is a snug fit on the rod.
    Now,using a craft knife,carefully trim all around the rear ( the flat end), of the seal removing a sliver of about 5-10 thousands of an inch, then refit and test. The flat end of the seal goes into the breech recess, the rounded face touches the barrel.
    I don't know the thread size, but it will be either BA or Cycle thread.
    The grease goes on the mairnspring, but also apply a smear onto the front and rear bearing surfaces of trhe piston. Apply sparingly.
    Pete.

Thank you Pete for an excellent answer.