Thread: Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40

Tank is offline Fat things go slowly up hills

Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40

I bought this scope from the fourm a couple of months ago to go on top of my .22Hornet. Why? i hear you ask. Well, i wanted a side PA scope with good lense quality, light and without tactical turrets,(my cabinet is a bit tight). I was concerned that a x40 objective lense would limit light transmission, but it hasn't. On receivieing the scope i had a look through, the lense quality is very good indeed. The side PA is nice and smooth and the turrets ar 1/4 MOA with nice positive clicks. The turrets are hidden under turret caps and adjusted using fingers. Overall a lovely scope for the money.

So, i mounted the scope on my hornet and went out to zero after boresighting. Compared to the MTC Mamba on my hmr the FOV is slightly less but optically it is brilliant. The picture is crystal clear and very sharp. Nikon are renowned for top end cameras and lenses so it makes sense that this quality is carried through to their rifle scopes.

The reticle is the standard 30/30 ret or as Nikon call it the 'Nikoplex'. It's perhaps a little thicker than i'd have liked but not something i'll die in a ditch over, i am after all a varminter, not a target shooter so i'm not after the same type of stuff that the target boys are. The clue's in the title, 'Buckmaster', as in intended for use on deer.

I went out on various day/evening shooting forays and bagged plenty of rabbits, the majoirty being head shot. The scope remained crystal clear through out and even when the light was dwindling it performed very well indeed aloowing me to mop up a few more rabbits before the light totally went.

The first chance i had to use it at night was a couple of nights ago. I was after some foxes on the farm so i baited up the area and waited a few minutes. The first fox popped out, the lamp went on. I could clearly identify said fox, i ws suprised at how well this little scope sucked in the light. Two foxes fell to the hornet and Nikon combo. Overall i was very, very pleased and the scope is great.

My set up is a lightweight vermin/fox rifle as my shooting is on foot. In this respect it hasn't missed a beat. If you can get hold of one of these snap it up. I beleive that it punches above it's weight in every respect.

Hope this is of use to someone.

Tank
    'What is the most frustrating thing about Police work?',(Commandant Lassard)
    'Not being able to carry hand grenades Sir',(Tackleberry).

I had a 6-18 and apart from the stupid BDC ret it was fantastic. In fact, until I can afford a big sightron Im looking for another to go on my 17 rem.
    If we weren't supposed to eat animals they wouldn't be made out of meat.....

Nikon

I've had a few Nikon scopes and currently have a Buckmaster with BDC ret on my HMR. Great scopes for the money.

I plan to try and bring one back when i go across the pond next year.

a great light weight scope - the BDC ret could easily hide a telegraph post behind its vertical but apart from that I agree - top glass for very little cash especially if found s/h - 100% endorsed and recommended
    Rapid 7 / 10-22 ATN 2 Stiller Predator .204 Pulsar N970 Tikka T3 semi custom ATN MARS thermal.204 Tikka T3 Semi.223 Wylde IOR Operator Lawton 6mmBR Kahles Gen 3 - Stiller 6.5 x 47 Bushnell BDX - Winchester Red Performance SX3 12g

Update, i went out last night after a fox, sadly it came running in to me and then legged it in to some bushes, nevermind. That aside some bollock brain forgot the battery for the lamp,(me) so i had to cut the session short. Sufficed to say the Nikon scope was excellent. I managed to bag three nice bunnies when it was all but dark, i could see enough to make out the outline of the rabbit. The scope sucked in all the light it could to make the image brighter than the one i was seeing with the naked eye. Quality little scope, much over looked. If you can get one, do.