Thread: Gamo Centre and Target Pistol

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Get those GAMOS out - MPS Round 3 next week!
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Get those GAMOS out - MPS Round 3 next week!
    Nope! I will be sticking with my Olde Faithful FWB65 - at least I wont run out of air and I dont get double vision and hair loss.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

The Model 65 is undoubtably the best pistol - I agree - but the MPL rules have been designed to make life difficult for the posh kit when used against the basic "twanging kickers" and looks like they are doing exactly that!

The MPL is proving to be a very interesting series to try and understand the pros and cons of using a basic "kicker" and gaining the score UP (plus one point per card bonus) against the superior recoiless pistols that can only score DOWN.

Maybe this is the most difficult series to compete in due to all the variables that have been included to provoke thought and to encourage some testing to see what can work the best?

GAMO Centre - MPL Top Score - again!

The GAMO Centre has done it again - although sadly not with an RMTC shooter this time ( although as he is a Rossendale resident we should claim the score I think) so well done Paul Wrey with an MPL Round 3 top score of 182 ex 200.

If any more proof were needed to show that the GAMO Centre is the best ( and unbeaten) pistol to use in the MPL - here is some more !..unless anyone can beat that score with any other MPL legal pistol!
    Last edited by zooma; 28-10-2012 at 08:02 PM.

Mongrul On Duty

During a little cleaning session I mixed up the grips on the Centre pistols that we have at RMTC.

The superbly rebuilt example that JG rebuilt and used so well in Round 2 somehow ended up with Fido's grip fited to it, but this mongrul peformd well enough and if anything the teeth and chew marks on the grip actually gives a little more "grip"!

The GAMO Centre has done it again - although sadly not with an RMTC shooter this time ( although as he is a Rossendale resident we should claim the score I think) so well done Paul Wrey with an MPL Round 3 top score of 182 ex 200.

If any more proof were needed to show that the GAMO Centre is the best ( and unbeaten) pistol to use in the MPL - here is some more !..unless anyone can beat that score with any other MPL legal pistol!
    What about the new Gamo break barrel?

During a little cleaning session I mixed up the grips on the Centre pistols that we have at RMTC.

The superbly rebuilt example that JG rebuilt and used so well in Round 2 somehow ended up with Fido's grip fited to it, but this mongrul peformd well enough and if anything the teeth and chew marks on the grip actually gives a little more "grip"!
    Mmmm - teeth mark in the pistol grip. Gives me a grand opportunity to smack one of our club members (she knows who she is ) in the mouth with my pistol fulfilling a long time wish and all in the interest of accuracy. Mind you ... it would be skip line stippling.*

ATB
    Ian

* MrFixit will understand that one.
    Last edited by I. J.; 31-10-2012 at 10:07 AM.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

[QUOTE=I. J.;5707590]What about the new Gamo break barrel?

ATB
    Ian

Ah yes....the next contender for the best MPL pistol award I understand.

pmh could be sharing this new found little gem with us in the near future - and I will be trying not to laugh too loudly and get myself identified as the cause of any bad scores!

But "you never know", it was not so long ago that none of us considered the GAMO Centre as being such a good choice of pistol for the MPL, but it seems to be one of the best options we have to make the most use of the MPL's quirkey scoring rules - and so with that in mind it could be that pmh has discovered another!

......and as somebody said "it certainly looks like it could be good"

Gamo Center

Interesting findings for the Gamo Center which does not suprise me. I used one heavily during the early 80s and found it very accurate.
    There was some argument back then that rear moving pistons for Webley pistols were a better idea but time has proven this to be in error.
    While it appears to make sense to have a rear moving piston striking into the hand, they forgot about the 2 way recoil effect, where the secondary recoil moving forward (in the case of the Webley design) is more difficult to control than the secondary recoil of forward moving pistons. You will find that the Original 5, Gamo Center etc are more accurate than the Webley, HW45 designs offhand therefore.
    Lightly sprung at approx 3ftlbs the Gamo didnt suffer from much in the way of recoil/vibration niether.

Gamo Competitor

Interestingly my efforts to match the Gamo Center were realised with an LP53 I loaned at my club last night.
    It really demands repeatable holding and general good technique but matched the Center when using RWS10 last night. Fabulous trigger control, difficult recoil but mastered it after around 100 shots. 53 is running on a nicely run in leather washer at 405fps high.
    Did not find the HW70 so clever in my hands. Convinced I would but trigger control trickier. Cannot decide if its down to grip and balance (effecting trigger control) or trigger per say here.
    In final conclusion I think its a combination of grip type (53 and Centre being similar) affording good trigger control on decent triggers. Sight pictures comparable. Velocity comparable.
    Miserable effort with a Turkish Tempest (as control)

Sounds like we should give the LP53 a serious try then