Thread: Gamo Centre and Target Pistol

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

GAMO Centre - MPL Top Score - again!

The GAMO Centre has done it again - although sadly not with an RMTC shooter this time ( although as he is a Rossendale resident we should claim the score I think) so well done Paul Wrey with an MPL Round 3 top score of 182 ex 200.

If any more proof were needed to show that the GAMO Centre is the best ( and unbeaten) pistol to use in the MPL - here is some more !..unless anyone can beat that score with any other MPL legal pistol!
    Last edited by zooma; 28-10-2012 at 08:02 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Mongrul On Duty

During a little cleaning session I mixed up the grips on the Centre pistols that we have at RMTC.

The superbly rebuilt example that JG rebuilt and used so well in Round 2 somehow ended up with Fido's grip fited to it, but this mongrul peformd well enough and if anything the teeth and chew marks on the grip actually gives a little more "grip"!

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    The GAMO Centre has done it again - although sadly not with an RMTC shooter this time ( although as he is a Rossendale resident we should claim the score I think) so well done Paul Wrey with an MPL Round 3 top score of 182 ex 200.

If any more proof were needed to show that the GAMO Centre is the best ( and unbeaten) pistol to use in the MPL - here is some more !..unless anyone can beat that score with any other MPL legal pistol!
    What about the new Gamo break barrel?

During a little cleaning session I mixed up the grips on the Centre pistols that we have at RMTC.

The superbly rebuilt example that JG rebuilt and used so well in Round 2 somehow ended up with Fido's grip fited to it, but this mongrul peformd well enough and if anything the teeth and chew marks on the grip actually gives a little more "grip"!
    Mmmm - teeth mark in the pistol grip. Gives me a grand opportunity to smack one of our club members (she knows who she is ) in the mouth with my pistol fulfilling a long time wish and all in the interest of accuracy. Mind you ... it would be skip line stippling.*

ATB
    Ian

* MrFixit will understand that one.
    Last edited by I. J.; 31-10-2012 at 10:07 AM.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

[QUOTE=I. J.;5707590]What about the new Gamo break barrel?

ATB
    Ian

Ah yes....the next contender for the best MPL pistol award I understand.

pmh could be sharing this new found little gem with us in the near future - and I will be trying not to laugh too loudly and get myself identified as the cause of any bad scores!

But "you never know", it was not so long ago that none of us considered the GAMO Centre as being such a good choice of pistol for the MPL, but it seems to be one of the best options we have to make the most use of the MPL's quirkey scoring rules - and so with that in mind it could be that pmh has discovered another!

......and as somebody said "it certainly looks like it could be good"

.....and as somebody said "it certainly looks like it could be good"
    If 'looking good' is the main criteria for accuracy I wouldn't hit the back wall.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    If 'looking good' is the main criteria for accuracy I wouldn't hit the back wall.

ATB
    Ian
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ( they say) - and if pmt likes it then that is all that matters - and how would you feel if he has stumbled upon a winner eh?

Alas, with the traumas and tribulations of last week, I didn't get to the shop to have a play with the next potential contender.

This makes it a trite more exciting, as you never know when it might appear.

I can hear Ian starting to dance with the excitement.

For the price, it'd be rude not to pick one up.

I still have an inkling towards an HW70 though.

Kind regards,

Phil
    I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
    >>Classic Air Pistol Association<<
    >>North Manchester Target Club<<

Gamo Center

Interesting findings for the Gamo Center which does not suprise me. I used one heavily during the early 80s and found it very accurate.
    There was some argument back then that rear moving pistons for Webley pistols were a better idea but time has proven this to be in error.
    While it appears to make sense to have a rear moving piston striking into the hand, they forgot about the 2 way recoil effect, where the secondary recoil moving forward (in the case of the Webley design) is more difficult to control than the secondary recoil of forward moving pistons. You will find that the Original 5, Gamo Center etc are more accurate than the Webley, HW45 designs offhand therefore.
    Lightly sprung at approx 3ftlbs the Gamo didnt suffer from much in the way of recoil/vibration niether.

Gamo Competitor

Interestingly my efforts to match the Gamo Center were realised with an LP53 I loaned at my club last night.
    It really demands repeatable holding and general good technique but matched the Center when using RWS10 last night. Fabulous trigger control, difficult recoil but mastered it after around 100 shots. 53 is running on a nicely run in leather washer at 405fps high.
    Did not find the HW70 so clever in my hands. Convinced I would but trigger control trickier. Cannot decide if its down to grip and balance (effecting trigger control) or trigger per say here.
    In final conclusion I think its a combination of grip type (53 and Centre being similar) affording good trigger control on decent triggers. Sight pictures comparable. Velocity comparable.
    Miserable effort with a Turkish Tempest (as control)

Sounds like we should give the LP53 a serious try then

Lp53

Sounds like we should give the LP53 a serious try then
    I have not participated in any of the shoots on here but we hold similar shoots at my club....with similar results.
    Nobody can shoot the rear moving piston stuff (Tempests, 45 and an ABAS) well which surprised us but it became apparent that the supposed advantage of rear moving recoil brings with it unforeseen secondary recoil.
    The 53 does buck upward (proven because the rear sight leaf is known to spring up out of its ball seating on rare occasion) but it does seem to be just one directional. The rest is probably down to fine trigger control once one has become accustomed to it. My assessment of the once forgotten Center, is it has a combination of useful plus points coming together without anyone really noticing. Namely, decent trigger, long site base typical to a fully fledged competition pistol, low mainspring power moving forward and great balance. Grip is semi target too.
    Ultimately both trounced by a SSP from a quality shooter but that's the thing. An average shooter will not get anymore out of the SSP/sledge without good technique. All these guns being as potentially as accurate as each other on the basis of consistent velocity terms. Its how we corrupt them with our handling.
    Last edited by clarky; 08-08-2013 at 07:44 PM.

I have found much the same with my pistols over the years.

The Centre and the LP53 are the most repeatably accurate guns I have ever owned, single handed.

My Webleys have much bigger groups and my old HW45 (now deceased!) was better than the Webs but not as good as the Gamo.

So for me it's the LP53 first, then Gamo as backup.

Love to try a spring Feinwerkbau or an Original someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyctophiliac View Post
    I have found much the same with my pistols over the years.

The Centre and the LP53 are the most repeatably accurate guns I have ever owned, single handed.

My Webleys have much bigger groups and my old HW45 (now deceased!) was better than the Webs but not as good as the Gamo.

So for me it's the LP53 first, then Gamo as backup.

Love to try a spring Feinwerkbau or an Original someday.
    There really is a considerable leap from the springers to the guns you mention but only in so much of the ease of use and more forgiving nature....not potentials. We found virtually no difference in consistency of velocity between pretty much all the guns mentioned here, indeed we actually realised our Turkish Tempest as being the best in this regard with barely a 5fps extreme spread across 5 shots. The potential is there but only one club member can tame it to within half the group size of the Gamo. I was hopeless with the gun but the guy has owned all the Webley variants since the 70s to be fair.