Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Arms TX200HC walnut stock

Air Arms TX200HC walnut stock

Right, my good lady bought me a TX200HC for crimbo.
    Seeing as its crap outside and I've called it a day I thought I'd do a review of my new addition.

My particular rifle is in .177 flavour which I now seem to favour over .22, until a couple of years ago I used to be a .22 man but I found myself using the .177 without thinking about it.

The stock is walnut and superb quality, I have seen nicer grain on others to be fair (check out Malc barnards from country pursuits TV on YouTube) but its a nice bit of wood none the less!
    The action is gorgeous with a deep bluing that shows the quality off superbly.

I personally found the TX to be a tad heavier (or at least felt) than my pro sport despite the action being based on the TX, maybe it was just the balance but it certainly felt weightier in the forehand.
    I quite liked this though as it just feels quality, it's the sort of rifle that makes you want to go out in the pissing rain just to get a few shots off :-)
    The shorter barrels really look smart in my opinion and the add to that sturdy build and look.

The cocking lever is smooth and crisp but the anti bear trap took a little getting used to, probably not everyone's cup of tea but I would urge you to get past that and try one out!

Accuracy is that of my Prosport, astonishing! Easily as accurate as any PCP, my first morning out I took a squirrel from 30yards (standing but resting on the side of a wall) with a precise head shot, that was the first shot of day!
    Maybe it's that I'm used to the exceptional accuracy and quality of my Prosport but you just know the pellet is going to hit where you're thinking, I think having confidence in the ability of the rifle is as important as your own ability to shoot well.

I zeroed the TX the day before, I nicked my hawke HD 4-12x50 off the Pro sport, not the best scope in the world but its clear and serves me well.
    What I found almost amusing was that it was almost zeroed at the same position as the 6 year old pro sport (about a half inch out) I had taken it from, testament to the incredible quality and engineering at Air Arms.

I can't sing the praises enough of this rifle or my pro sport, no need for tuning and messing about but pure class out the box! And an absolute dream to shoot, I honestly can't see how tuning could improve this rifle as I genuinely believe this I'd one of the greatest rifles ever made.

I'm very happy that the TX200HC found its way to my Gun rack :-)
    Too many guns to list...always room for one more :-)

Glad you like it bud. Im going to get one in walnut to, but im holding out for a secondhand one if possible. If not i will treat myself to a new one....... normally get .22 in a spring gun so that will be a dilema as im tempted to get the TX in .177.....ahhhhhhh decisions decisions

I've two here, one standard, and one venom kitted - both super rifles!

Fabulous rifles out the box - but they do benefit from a mild home-tune.
    The CD trigger unit is good as standard, but so much better when tuned.

The only downside to the TX is the weight, but to offset that, the weight, along with a tune, does kill recoil, so I don't really mind.
    Not expensive 2nd-hand either.
    It's only a bloody pellet gun for Gods sake!
    BASC member

Keep reading lots of good things about these. May be treating myself soon.

Mark

hunter88 is offline Hunter Field 'Tree' Shooter
    I miss mine so Bad looks just like the one on the YouTube vid too

Should never of sold it
    http://www.buxtedshootingclub.co.uk/ SiHFT Winners 2008 2009 2010

Last night, I part-stripped my standard TX / HC and degreased just the mainspring and guides, before relubricating them with Maccari tar, and reassembling.

And although it's immediately obvious it's not as good as a V-Mach kitted one, it has reduced the slight spring-twang it had upon firing.

edbear2 Guest
    The one thing I have done to mine to make it easier to use...and PLEASE NOTE, this is my gun, and I NEVER take my hand off the cocking lever at any time during loading (having been brought up on pre-safety guns like the Airsporter and Webley MK3), is to disable the bear trap by the simple, non permanent inserting of a "spring" made from a doubled up slice of old credit card inserted behind the opposite end of the rocking lever to the side where you depress with your thumb.

You still have the trigger safety of course!...It makes it nice and quiet to cock (although you can depress the lever when cocking, I find it a faff).

I see many people loading these guns with no hand on the cocking lever because they have the beartrap system, I know a double failure is a real long shot, but to me it is bad gun practice, and I understand that in the USA, if you are seen doing this on their FT circuit, you are instantly disqualified.

ATB, Ed
    Last edited by edbear2; 03-01-2013 at 01:26 PM.

I have a MkII HC in .22 and a B40 in .22. The TX i have is 22 years old now and a real joy to use TX is just all round fantastic and the B40 is a good copy but not on the same level in quality
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

I really couldnt decide between the prosport andthe TX. Simples. I have both!!!!

Both in 177 and they are an equal joy to shoot, OK the TX is more user friendly to cock, but the PS just looks so good. My PS has a walnut stock and a Ginb engraved brass trigger gaurd, looks fantastic!!!!
    Air arms HFT500, Prosport,
    WH100SK Daystate Griffin

Oh dear!!!

Looks like I am going to have to get one now.

And I promised myself I would only ever be a "one gun man."

Atb.

Going to the effort of fitting a V-Mach or Vortek kit is well worth the effort, as it takes the TX200 upto another level in terms of smoothness and user-friendliness.

I have an earlier MK2 TX200 and to be honest it has only fired about 1 tin of pellets from new ( I'm the only owner ). As I'm am getting curious and wanting to get into springers ,as seems to be a popular move lately, should I leave the gun as it is or get it serviced and upgraded at the same time by having a tune up kit fitted. In other words because the spring is older rather than worn out is this a good reason to have it changed bearing in mind I bought it about 15 years ( time flies ! ).

ATB Wryka
    They flutter behind you, your possible pasts ..

Quote Originally Posted by Wryka View Post
    I have an earlier MK2 TX200 and to be honest it has only fired about 1 tin of pellets from new ( I'm the only owner ). As I'm am getting curious and wanting to get into springers ,as seems to be a popular move lately, should I leave the gun as it is or get it serviced and upgraded at the same time by having a tune up kit fitted. In other words because the spring is older rather than worn out is this a good reason to have it changed bearing in mind I bought it about 15 years ( time flies ! ).

ATB Wryka
    Hi Wryka

Most people consider the mk1 & mk2 better than the mk3 due to the shorter stroke and quicker lock time.. I wouldn't change the internals, maybe the seals but a desent clean and relube and you should be well away..
    Basc member

*** Looking for a Diana 54/52 ***

Cheers for that Mark - I didn't want to go and alter things if they fine as they are, once it has had a clean and re-lube

Many thanks

Wayne
    They flutter behind you, your possible pasts ..