Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What shall I buy

What shall I buy

Revised my FAC last week and it arrived in the post today with a empty slot for a .44 muzzle loading pistol so my question is what do you guys suggest I buy ?? I am really new to black powder but have read a lot on here and am leaning towards a ruger old army but does anyone have any other ideas , also roughly how much would a secondhand one be .

ROA is a good choice if you can find one and afford it.

2nd choice is probably a Remmington which are best in stainless again if available.

3rd choice is a Rogers and Spencer.

My last choice would be an open framed Colt.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

rao

my ROA is on ticket as 45,you may have a job finding one as a 44,
    you may get lucky,T

I'm in the same boat, just waiting for the variation to go through

One of my friends at the club has an Old Army and it's a lovely bit of kit, but then it should be for the amount it set him back. I'll just be going for a basic Remington 1858 New Model Army revolver, stainless if I fancy pushing the boat out.

Remington new will cost around £240 and the Ruger Old Army is around £500 second hand.

RAO

if the old armys are fetching that much,i may be tempted to sell mine,

cheers for the info guys , looks like I am going to have to get saving up my pennies after my hols , another little question that hopefully someone could possibly answer , my FAC states:- calibre .44 Type muzzle loading pistol , its the "muzzle loading" description that has me slightly worried , have I filled my application in wrong or does the revolver style pistols ie the ROA and remington come under the term muzzle loading

yep revolvers we can have are muzzle loaded
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Quote Originally Posted by TALL View Post
    my ROA is on ticket as 45,you may have a job finding one as a 44,
    you may get lucky,T

Spoke to a shop down south with two ROA's - one also had a smokeless cylinder included for £500 sounded like a good deal. Both of them are sold as .44's also! If your interested I could see if I can find the shop again.

I just bought a new 1858 Uberti stainless target today. Cost me £360 but I see the pietta equivalent is £440 or so from Kranks. Did I get a good deal? Hopefully arrive tomorrow.

thanks for the offer farmer7 but i dont have a penny at the moment not till after our hols in august. thanks anyway

Sorry just found the site its £600 not £500 for the one with the extra cylinder! There is a blued one for £400 though.

http://www.guns.gb.com/contents/en-u...ding_guns.html

I hope your going to be uploading a photo or two of your new toy when it arrives farmer7

My local dealer here in East Anglia has seven Ruger Old Army revolvers in stock, five of them new.

tac

Rugers seem to be going up in price so if you can get one may well be worth having. Comes down to personal choise so if you can join a club with members that shoot them and try a few you will get a better idea of what you want. My personal top three would be. 1; Ruger Old Army. 2; Rogers and Spencer. 3; Remington. Keep us posted what you go for. Tim
    PS, If thats Fenland rural sports thats tac,s local dealer thats where i got my short barrelled one from. Top people to deal with.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    The Ruger Old Army seems to be everyone's top choice.
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Only downside is that there are now NO official spare parts for this immensely popular revolver.

Plus it is not eligible for any competition in the MLAGB as it is not actually a replication of anything, being a cross between the Ruger Super Blackhawk and a Remington Army Model of 1858.

Mine is over 26 years old, and looks like it was bought last year.

tac