Thread: 10 Meter Pistol Competition for Springers.

10 Meter Pistol Competition for Springers.

As an unashamed fan of Classic Match Air Pistols, I am going to organise a 10 Metre Air Pistol Competition at the Rossendale Club for spring powered air pistols only ("Springers").

Naturally this is only an excuse to get some of the many spring powered air pistols that are "resting" ( maybe some of them are not only resting but rusting) back out into the daylight and back into use.

This will also help to encourage the few devotees that actually choose to shoot their Springers at the club and don't have the cash ( or inclination) to own and use a top of the range PCP every week.

Some of the classic springers such as the Feinwerkbau Model 65 and 80, Walther LP53 and Original Model's 5, 6 and 10 are very capable of beating the clubs PCP pistols results ( in the right hands), but the Gamo Centre and Target along with a few old Webleys can also spring a few surprises!

I propose we shoot 5 shots per card with 8 cards to give a possible score of 400. Only .177 calibre pistols can take part. Normal 10 meter pistol shooting rules will apply as always.

Recoilless pistols will score DOWN on any shot that breaks the line, and non-recoilless pistols will score UP on any shot that breaks the line.

The idea is to keep it simple and avoid handicaps ( if possible) but we will judge the results after the first match as see if we actually need to give the non-recoiling pistols a little more help ( maybe plus 2 points per round) to keep a level playing field..?

Any thoughts?.......
    Last edited by zooma; 16-07-2012 at 04:52 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Hi Bob
    We did that in our club a couple of years back but limited it to recoiling pistols, sadly it was only a few of us who shot it, although every one wanted to try my LP53!
    Have fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

The latest thinking about this 10 metre competition for springer pistols is to make it a one night competition once a month.

The last week of each month being nominated as the competition week.

We have some members that can only make it on a Tuesday, and others that can only make it on a Thursday, so we have to decide if we should press ahead with the one night comp. or allow it to be shot on either of the two days in that final week of the month - but whatever night is chosen all 4 cards must be shot continuously and completed in the one session.

As it is now a one night competition, we have also decided to reduce the number of cards to be shot down to 4 cards with 5 shots on each giving a possible 200 score for a perfect card (!).

Recoilless psitols will score DOWN when a line is split, and recoiling pistols will score UP when a line is split.

Given the nature of this competition it will be essential for the type of pistol that was used to shoot the competition is recorded and witnessed in the same way as the score.

It is not possible to change from one type of pistol during the 4 card competition, but it is permissable to shoot a different type of .177 springer pistol at each round if desired.

.22 pistols and any calibre other than .177 are banned.

Normal wadcutter type match pellets are required to give clear scoring - round nose pellets are not so easy to score and should not be used.

We are also discussing whether a recoiling pistol shooter should also be given a 2 point bonus to be added to the total of the 4 card score to even up the difference and make it an even tighter competition between the two types!
    Last edited by zooma; 11-07-2012 at 10:35 AM.

Postal option ?

Robin C has suggested that we could consider a postal variant of this competition between our two clubs, and if the idea tests out to be good, then maybe some other clubs would also like to join in over the winter period after we have had a chance to knock the rough edges off of the competition format and rules?

Sounds like a good idea to me, as there are a lot of people out there who have springers doing nothing, shame no .22 though.

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..
    Great idea Bob,sounds like fun
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr

Quote Originally Posted by colin57 View Post
    Sounds like a good idea to me, as there are a lot of people out there who have springers doing nothing, shame no .22 though.
    All air pistol and air rifle target competitions are shot with .177 calibre only.

Almost all target air pistols are .177 ( I am only saying "almost" as somebody is bound to know different) so I am sure we will cater for the vast majority by staying with the universally accepted target shooting calibre for this event .

If there are enough .22 air pistol shooters that would like to compete in an event like this, and have a facility that will allow them to be shot ( many clubs will not allow .22 air pistols - including ours ) then maybe somebody would like to organise it and run it along similar lines, but we would not be able to include them in this particular event.

RossRibb/RibbRoss Monthly Pistol Competition.

I had a visit from IJ today, and he has suggested we make another competition based on these rules to include all types of air pistol ( not instead of this - but as well as) to encourage more pistol shooting activety between the Ribble Vally and Rossendale Clubs.

This sounds like a good idea, so now I have some more work to do to make a workable set of rules for this contest.

I will start a new thread rather than hi-jack this Springer thread as the new competition will not replace this one - but may well run alongside it.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    I had a visit from IJ today, and he has suggested we make another competition based on these rules to include all types of air pistol ( not instead of this - but as well as) to encourage more pistol shooting activety between the Ribble Vally and Rossendale Clubs.

This sounds like a good idea, so now I have some more work to do to make a workable set of rules for this contest.

I will start a new thread rather than hi-jack this Springer thread as the new competition will not replace this one - but may well run alongside it.
    The outcome of the above, is that SSP and MSP pistols have now also been included in this series as they still require their basic power input from the human body ( muscle power) and not from a pre-charged cylinder of any type.

Please check the thread Muscle Power League for more details and to see the full set of rules - as well as a fair amount of good humoured banter between various members of the Rossendale and Rivington Clubs - although to be fair - most of it is between the Rivington members and those that choose to defect and shoot for RMTC ot hold dual club membership!