Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Umarex pistols corrosion

To get rid of the rust, buy some of that rust converter, it turns red oxide into black oxide, I use it on my motorbikes to kill the rust before a dab of paint goes on, the names are: Jenolite: Fertan or Kurust. Just carefully follow the instructions. It might help.

It is not rust.
    These pistols are some sort of alloy.
    The problem is with the applied finish.

If it's an aluminium alloy and not s**t alloy, then it's probably been anodised which is an
    electrolitic surface corrosion coating done under controlled conditions that is then coloured with a dye, that protects the metal underneath. If it gets scratched or marked, then the protection is broken, though ally oxide protects the metal underneath, whereas steel will keep on oxydising. Simple isn't it!

I don't think its anodised aluminium, the pistol feels too heavy for that. It must just be age related as there are no scratches and the gun hasn't been subjected to any damp or anything. My scope mounts are anodised aluminium and are still in perfect condition and older than the Beretta.

The Umarex replica type pistols are made mostly from a zinc alloy. The finish is most likely paint, with the gloss finish having a clear lacquer on top. It's probably something in the lacquer that has reacted to... well... something else.

Ah! The dreaded zinc alloy; what we called s**t metal, very easy to cast or inject into moulds, but virtually impossible to get a decent weld if broken! Araldite is useful to glue it together!