Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pietta Remington 1858 - Pyrodex P load help?

Just to add my twopence worth. I forgot my lube one time a bit back so fired without. After 2 rounds of 6 shots the barrel was so crudded up that the balls where going all over the place to the point where it wasnt worth re-loading. Secondly it was the only time i have ever had lead fouling, mainly at the start of the barrel. You could actually see it by looking down the
    barrel. Personaly i use water pump grease (its very high melting point) or wonderlube over my balls. Both work well with b/p and cleaning is a doddle with hot soapy water with washing up liquid. Wonderlube also smells like germaline, lovely. Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by tim56 View Post
    Wonderlube also smells like germaline, lovely.

That's sold it for me!!
    Buckle
    Proud member of The YCHJCYA2PDTHFH Club

Z1 Owners Club GB Wanted: Nothing at present!

Okay chaps - range report as promised.

I tried out both 25 and 20 gr loads as middle of the road starting points. The first 2 shots both hit within half an inch of each other which indicated good things ahead - then of course it all went to pot! Anyway it appears the 20 gr load is more consistent than 25 but I'll work on that more at the next outing. The pistol functioned well until I had 2 failures to fire on the last round. I think that was probably my fault in not checking the nipples properly (at all!) before reloading. However I re-capped them and they went off no worries on second attempt.

So I discovered:

No 10 caps don't fit - they split if forced on.

No 11 caps fit but need to be crimped slightly to ensure they don't drop off due to recoil!

Always make sure the sprue is pointing out when trying to seat the ball - that was a slap forhead moment!

I need to get some hand wipes.

Black powder shooting "makes you smell funny" according to the wife!

Always check your nipples between rounds.

The cylinder spindle collects fouling like it's going out of fashion.

Competition standard I ain't (yet - working on it though!)

Can't wait until the next range day at which I fully intend to shoot until my supply of powder, caps and balls are exhausted!
    Buckle

Good stuff and welcome to the users of the black art of muzzle loading.

With the barrel pointed down range give the caps a bit of a push on with a wooden dowel to seat them a bit better. This will reduce the need for a second strike to make them go off.

There are intermedia sizes of cap 1025 1075 but 11's should be correct on your gun.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Apropos caps, I had to buy Remington's #11 the other day, or do without. Unlike RWS, these so-called #11 caps need a good pinch to get them to stay on my ROA, and then, when they DO go off, there are fragments everywhere. After only 18 shots I had to tear my gun down to clear crappy little bits of cap, and as I was wearing long sleeves anyhow, I was able to brush the bits off my arms, instead of tweezing them out of my living flesh. I also wear safety glasses, and a good job too, but I caught a lot of bits on the rest of my face. Just about every cylinder load resulted in a seized up action - something I've never encountered with RWS caps in many years of BP shooting. Anybody else have this trouble with Remington caps? I sure as hell won't be buying them again.

Problem is that you can't buy them mail-order - and all I can find around this area is this crappy Remington stuff.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Apropos caps, I had to buy Remington's #11 the other day, or do without. Unlike RWS, these so-called #11 caps need a good pinch to get them to stay on my ROA, and then, when they DO go off, there are fragments everywhere. After only 18 shots I had to tear my gun down to clear crappy little bits of cap, and as I was wearing long sleeves anyhow, I was able to brush the bits off my arms, instead of tweezing them out of my living flesh. I also wear safety glasses, and a good job too, but I caught a lot of bits on the rest of my face. Just about every cylinder load resulted in a seized up action - something I've never encountered with RWS caps in many years of BP shooting. Anybody else have this trouble with Remington caps? I sure as hell won't be buying them again.

Problem is that you can't buy them mail-order - and all I can find around this area is this crappy Remington stuff.

tac
    Hey Tac

Which RWS sre your 'usuals' - the 1075s in the little black plastic tubs ?

Because I struggle to get them too - I buy them a 1000 at a time (sometimes 5000 ) from Pete Starley at one of the shows - usually order from him & then pay & collect at the shows.

If thereis any way you can get to one of the shows that he attends - or you are over my way (for some stoopid reason !!) - I'll get you what you need & pass them on ?

All the best

Roy

Email is on contacts page if you want to take this offline

R

Hey Tac -

Which RWS sre your 'usuals' - the 1075s in the little black plastic tubs ?

Them's the boys.

Because I struggle to get them too - I buy them a 1000 at a time (sometimes 5000 ) from Pete Starley at one of the shows - usually order from him & then pay & collect at the shows.

Who he?

If thereis any way you can get to one of the shows that he attends - or you are over my way (for some stoopid reason !!) - I'll get you what you need & pass them on ?

See PM and many thanks indeed for your kind and generous offer.

tac

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    Dynamit Nobel 1075 work better for me, my RFD always seems to have them.
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

tac

'from Pete Starley at one of the shows - usually order from him & then pay & collect at the shows.

Who he?

http://www.black-powder.co.uk/

also runs midway.co.uk

I've never seen anything but Remington no. 11 caps in our area either and would be interested in a joint purchase of RWS caps. We can have a chat about it at ORPC soon.

regards

Saggs

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    Quote Originally Posted by Saggs View Post
    also runs midway.co.uk
    Really? Thought it was some other geezer whos name I cant remember, oh well you learn something new every day.
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

I've got some dymamit noble 1055 sat here in front of me, damn things are longer than any others I've seen, far to long for my nipples.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Quote Originally Posted by davederrick View Post
    Dynamit Nobel 1075 work better for me, my RFD always seems to have them.
    Aaaaaaarrrrrrrr, but we lives out in the Fens, see.

Barely got 'leccy, us 'as.

tac

Okay - second range report.

Bought some new caps in the week ready for range day as I had been having a little trouble with the Remington No.11's I was using. The new CCI No. 11's fit well but they caused several jams because on firing they fragmented badly, dropped into the action and got snarled up in the back of the cylinder. Although the Remington caps didn't fit overly well they didn't fall to pieces like these CCI ones.

Anyway, after a bit more load development it seems that 15 grains is somewhere close to a sweet spot as I managed to get 5 of 6 shots in the black at 25 yards. And repeated a similar grouping with the same load so hopefully it wasn't a fluke! Then ran out of balls so had to retire at that point.

So this range outing I found out that:

CCI caps are prone to fragmenting and jamming the action.

Less (powder) might quite possibly be more (accurate) regarding loads!

I need a cheap supply of lead / balls!

The front sight is way to high and I can't adjust the rear sight enough to compensate - metal work required.

Just out of interest - what are your experience with different makes of caps? Because I definitely won't be buying CCI ones again.
    Buckle

Almost forgot - another shocking discovery!

I need a more accurate powder measure - the one I have is a rifle one I think as it goes to 130 Grains, so not too accurate for measuring pistol loads.
    Buckle