Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
I cannot understand why the Hawk mk1,2 and 3 have the same mainspring, when the mk1 has a shorter cylinder. They always seem oversprung with one of these fitted.
Hi Guy

You're right again mate I've just put my MK1 and MK2 together and the MK1 has a completely different and shorter cylinder with no swelling for the breach block as the MK2 and MK3 have.

My MK2 is an early one with the MK1 style stock, I always took it that Webley just used up MK1 stocks on the early MK2s --- but the stocks are completely different as is the cylinder and stroke (I'll try to stick a piccy up later).

So it looks as though Jim's spring reccomendations in his excellent article on tuning the MK3 Hawk don't fully cross over to the MK1 as a shorter spring would be needed.

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
Cheers Mick Part of the thing I was on about was that the width and volume of the Webley breech seal should be taken into consideration in a calculation, but it looks like you have done that.
Well while I was comparing MK1 and MK2 Hawks I noticed that the MK1s original seal has a 4mm hole through it and from the days when I used a Hawk as my main gun I vaguely remember the seal hole being fairly big and having to change it when it closed up, so perhaps they were always 4mm straight through ?

All the best Mick