Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
Part of the thing trying to get across here Mick is that because of the design and thickness of the hawk seal, is that the volume of the hole in the washer should also be taken into consideration? (the volume of the seal must be about 1/3 of the volume of the transfer port?) Ie that the hole should be considered a part of the transfer port in just the same way as if you fitted a sleeve to the transfer port that extended as far as the front edge of the seal and then for example fitted an O ring for a seal instead of the Webley job. I can see you trying that soon to save on Webley seals except I bet you turn your own.
On something like a meteor, with a very short port and a seal on the barrel it would be a different case.
I wonder why the small Webley and Diana rifles had a washer on the cylinder side? I think on the Diana 23 it was a very shallow recess as well?
Hi Guy

I know what you're saying in that the original Hawk seal has a smaller hole in it than the Vulcan, the seal is however shown as the same part number on Chambers for both guns --- so does the Hawk seal collapse and closed up over time?

My calcs above are based on using a new Hawk/Vulcan breach seal which has a 4mm hole through it so with a new seal the Hawk has a 4mm transfer port straight through.

Yes I do make the transfer port sleeve so that it goes from breach face to cylinder face, this also holds the seal better than the standard setup.

For the transfer port seal I just cut some hard rubber tube to length, I mount the rubber tube on a rod in the lathe and cut using a Stanley knife blade in the toolpost.

I think the Hawk has the seal in the breach so that you only need one breach seal for the two barrels --- the design of the Hawk/Vulcan locking pin also leaves little room for the seal in the end of the barrel.

I think I have a Diana 23 kicking about somewhere and if I remember correctly the breach plunger is in the end of the cylinder so there's plenty of room in there for the seal. The other problem is that the barrel is sleeved and not solid so it's not ideal to put a seal in the end of it.

Oh and don't think that I've forgotten that I owe you a Vulcan cylinder Guy, I still have it safe and sound for when you're settled and you want it.

All the best Mick