Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hawk MK1 mainspring and fun

Hawk MK1 V Hawk MK2

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    My MK2 is an early one with the MK1 style stock, I always took it that Webley just used up MK1 stocks on the early MK2s --- but the stocks are completely different as is the cylinder and stroke (I'll try to stick a piccy up later).
    As promissed --- Hawk MK1 and MK2 actions side by side

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/...0_12010003.jpg

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/...0_12010001.jpg

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/...0_12010002.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    As a bit of an experiment Mick, could you try a Ptfe seal with a smaller hole in it and let me know the difference in fps or ftlbs, compared to a standard seal? I know you say that it wont last I would just be interested as to what it does, because I found that it moved POI on the 2 guns I tried it on and it SEEMED to be hitting the backstop harder (No chrono obviously)
    Unfortunately Guy when I got my Hawk MK2 out I noticed that some fool had sleeved the transfer port down --- I can't even remember doing it.

So I can't try your experiment.

Here's a picture of my spare cylinder showing what the sleeve looks like when fitted.

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/...0_12010005.jpg

Now I'm pretty sure that I haven't put a new spring inside the complete .22" Hawk MK2 shown since about 1977 so I ran it over the crono to see what power it was putting out with the sleeved breach --- 9.46ftlbs with 14.5 grain pellets.

As I couldn't remember fitting the transfer port sleeve perhaps I have been inside it, I'll just have to open it up over the weekend to check, but I'm 100% sure I've not bought a spring for it since 1977.

All the best Mick
    Last edited by T 20; 20-07-2012 at 09:11 AM.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    How do you hold the sleeve in Mick? What are the lines on the Mk2 breech block? Has it had a block on it for a pistol scope or something?
    I bought a dog rough Hawk mk3 for a fiver a few years ago (the one I filed the cylinder and end plug to take a meteor pin as it was so eggy) and that shots at 9.5ft lb with an O ring and a meteor mainspring and maybe a floating guide. It is one of those guns that people can pick up and just shoot with and it feels right.
    be interested if you can try the Ptfe washer thing if you have an unmodified hawk somewhere.
    I think Hawk mk ones plink well but the trigger can be heavy unless you have a nice "tired" spring.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

How do you hold the sleeve in Mick?
    Hi Guy

I make the sleeve to be a slight taper up to slightly oversize on the last 6mm so that it needs to be pressed in, I also put a little Loctite 271 on it.

There is very little force acting on the cross section of the sleeve so it shouldn't move in use --- they haven't so far.

From a post today on The UK Chinese the Microbore pipe source on the bay is item number 150766549781 , I'm told this is 4mm OD and 2.8mm ID, so a bit bigger ID than I'm using but should be worth a punt as it doubles your compression ratio.

What are the lines on the Mk2 breech block?

Ah my little brother decided to raise the rearsight slightly using a bit of cardboard.

Unfortunately cardboard soaks up moisture and then rusts your breach block --- hence the lines.

You may also notice the slight rusting on the scope rails where he sanded the bluing off so that he could Araldite his scope on to prevent creep --- who ever sent that Top Tip into Airgun World deserves a right good kick up the arse.

It was only a 4 X 28 FFS

Has it had a block on it for a pistol scope or something?

Probably worth pointing out that the pistol scope mounting rail to fit onto the Hawk breach was actually invented by Jim (BTDT) and shown in Airgunworld before Webley nicked his idea (the gits).

I bought a dog rough Hawk mk3 for a fiver a few years ago (the one I filed the cylinder and end plug to take a meteor pin as it was so eggy) and that shots at 9.5ft lb with an O ring and a meteor mainspring and maybe a floating guide. It is one of those guns that people can pick up and just shoot with and it feels right.
    be interested if you can try the Ptfe washer thing if you have an unmodified hawk somewhere.
    I think Hawk mk ones plink well but the trigger can be heavy unless you have a nice "tired" spring.
    If I get around to sorting my MK2 Hawk I'll fit the old spring to the MK1 and try your idea on that Guy.

Though I don't really want to rip into my MK2 just yet as it has a bit of sentimental value being my first ever new gun and my Christmas present from 1974 (my old man still checks that I'm looking after it ).

When I've finished messing with my spare MK2 action and I'm happy with the results I'll have a go at my baby.

All the best Mick
    Last edited by T 20; 20-07-2012 at 07:10 PM.