Thread: HW45 Some claims!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Airways View Post
    Do share your tips on the 45 as will be stripping mine this week, both only producing 3 ft lbs one in .22 and one in .177
    The problem with the 45 is the guide...it sits down inside the piston to facilitate the 5.4 ftlbs or so power
    but its a sledge hammer to crack a nut...
    With a massively inefficent transfer port passing through 90 degress to facilitate the compact design, they wacked in a big mainspring and heavy weighting to the piston to compensate.
    The compression parameter then crosses the margins and flashes over for fun with even a hint oil...and i do mean a hint ....

First turn around the mainspring guide, or better still throw it into a scrap bin very hard so it damages and you can never use it again....then beat it with a hammer to make sure.
    Yep, your talking to a guy who has been tuning this bstard thing for years.
    My compardres all seem to like the thing and insist on buying them and me then tuning them....bit of a nuisance getting apart and back together but im on my 15th.
    Replace the guide with one of Delrin, fitted conventionally.
    I prefer a very long single guide, maintaining spring straightness to all the spring length external to the piston when in the fired situation.

Due to a well fitting Delrin or Techaform guide, it now negates any need for emoilents and can be run dry.
    Clean it out many times and your now close to some semblance of an accurate shooter.

Single spring guide Vs two

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    The problem with the 45 is the guide...it sits down inside the piston to facilitate the 5.4 ftlbs or so power
    but its a sledge hammer to crack a nut...
    With a massively inefficent transfer port passing through 90 degress to facilitate the compact design, they wacked in a big mainspring and heavy weighting to the piston to compensate.
    The compression parameter then crosses the margins and flashes over for fun with even a hint oil...and i do mean a hint ....

First turn around the mainspring guide, or better still throw it into a scrap bin very hard so it damages and you can never use it again....then beat it with a hammer to make sure.
    Yep, your talking to a guy who has been tuning this bstard thing for years.
    My compardres all seem to like the thing and insist on buying them and me then tuning them....bit of a nuisance getting apart and back together but im on my 15th.
    Replace the guide with one of Delrin, fitted conventionally.
    I prefer a very long single guide, maintaining spring straightness to all the spring length external to the piston when in the fired situation.

Due to a well fitting Delrin or Techaform guide, it now negates any need for emoilents and can be run dry.
    Clean it out many times and your now close to some semblance of an accurate shooter.
    Thanks Clarky sound advice, interested why you go the single guide Vs two one at each end, also your views on lining the piston to prevent lube entering the chamber
    Now's the time to enjoy oneself

Quote Originally Posted by Airways View Post
    Thanks Clarky sound advice, interested why you go the single guide Vs two one at each end, also your views on lining the piston to prevent lube entering the chamber
    Well you wont need a liner if not lubing and if you are lubing dont do it....the internal parameters generate too much heat due to the restricted transfer port versus the powerful mainspring and flash over in the gun....hence the smoke seen when any 45 is shot.

Well you got 2 choices when going the way of guide rod tuning.
    You can reduce the length of the rear guide to allow the fitting of a top hat which i would whole heartedly recommend in a rifle or go for no top hat and a longer rear guide.
    My most recent testing has realised a smoother, deader shot cycle when all the spring is guided that is not within the constraint of the piston when the gun is at rest.
    In otherwords, with the piston fired, im looking to have all the mainspring guided which is left outside the piston and hopefully a bit inside too.
    Top hats are a good spring centraliser but cost us in guiding at the opposite end....
    If the mainspring is a good fit in the piston already, its more than a good enough reason to go for a longer rear guide.
    You also remove any weight addition to the piston