Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HW45 Some claims!

HW45 Some claims!

So I was looking at some reviews on youtube for this pistol and one in particular claimed it was probobly the finest spring piston air pistol ever made! That's some claim for a painted alloy pistol!
    Another review of the Beeman version said that only the .177 version was dual power! Is that right? Aren't all the cal's of the HW45 dual power? I thought they were the same basic gun?
    I really want one but still can't choose which version or if I should buy the HW75 for it's uber sexy hammer action!

Quote Originally Posted by Slinky-power View Post
    So I was looking at some reviews on youtube for this pistol and one in particular claimed it was probobly the finest spring piston air pistol ever made! That's some claim for a painted alloy pistol!
    Another review of the Beeman version said that only the .177 version was dual power! Is that right? Aren't all the cal's of the HW45 dual power? I thought they were the same basic gun?
    I really want one but still can't choose which version or if I should buy the HW75 for it's uber sexy hammer action!
    Hi,the hw45 is one of my all time favourite pistols.I found mine very accurate and also powerfull enough [at over 5ft/lbs in .22] for long range plinking and targets,the earlier .22's wer'nt dual power,mine wasn't.Though i believe both .177 and .22,are,now.The hw75 is also a great pistol but is far less powerfull although easier to shoot accurately due to being recoiless.I prefer the 45 myself but if i wanted all out easy to use accuracy the 75 is a better bet,in my opinion...

mine is .22, & it isn't dual power- in fact, the instructions emphasise this.

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    The engineering is excellent, my HW45 in .22 is over 20 Years old, still delivers 5.5ft/lbs and with just an occasional drop of oil I fully expect it to last as long again.
    Mine is alloy but it's die cast Aluminium, not Zinc alloy and the black finish on mine is a chemical surface treatment which is impervious to solvents and has held up very well to 20+ years of wear & tear ;-)
    The Beeman Version (Beeman designed it, Weirauch Didn't) review was probably of an early model, when the P1/HW45 was first released (when I bought mine) .177 was dual power only, .22 was full power only.
    At a certain point all moved to dual power, I'm guessing it simplified production to do all the internals the same.
    The HW75 is a Single Stroke Pneumatic, a good 75 delivers less than half the power of a 45, the 75 is recoilless though, so it's easier to shoot accurately without practice and is better for target use. Having said that although it's a very sweet gun the lack of a palm shelf roles the 75 out for serious 10m shooters,
    Get Both ;-)

- Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Thanks guys, thats cleared up a few things.

Really useful ta.
    -SP

BigEars Guest
    You really need both 75 & 45. No gentleman's pistol case is truly complete without the pair.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEars View Post
    You really need both 75 & 45. No gentleman's pistol case is truly complete without the pair.
    I've got a 75 and a Webley Senior.. Am I a gentleman?

Quote Originally Posted by BigEars View Post
    I've got a 75 and a Webley Senior.. Am I a gentleman? OOPS double post

Newhaven, Sussex (someone's got to live here)
    Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Get Both ;-)

- Nick
    I have just the one pistol case .......

for my HW75 and my HW45 Silver Star

Rapid MkII .22, AA400C .177, AA MPR .177, AA Prosport .177, AA TX200, AA FTP900, HW75 .177, HW45 Silver Star .22, and my dear ol' Webley Ranger .177 (circa 1966) Mile Oak - WEB SITE Air Arms HFT Team member

Both would be nice....
    But I can barely justify buying one!

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Both would be nice....
    But I can barely justify buying one!
    If you want to hit the 10 ring at 10m the 75 in .177 would be your best choice, if you want to knock cans around at 25 Yards and over get an HW45 but be prepared to practice, you will not achieve either straight away,
    ATB,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    If you want to hit the 10 ring at 10m the 75 in .177 would be your best choice, if you want to knock cans around at 25 Yards and over get an HW45 but be prepared to practice, you will not achieve either straight away,
    ATB,
    Nick
    I gotta say that both options have some appeal.
    The power of the 45 appeals, not so keen on the fake hammer. The hammer action of the 75 makes me want it but I'm afraid it won't even topple a match box let alone make a satisfying 'ding' when it hits a can.
    Are the tru-glo sights optional or on all of them now?
    I prefer just iron sights.

Chances are I'll just gaze lovingly at whichever I buy more than actually fire it. An occasional plink down the length of the hallway when the mrs isn't around, or can bash in the back yard.

The power of the 45 appeals, not so keen on the fake hammer. The hammer action of the 75 makes me want it but I'm afraid it won't even topple a match box let alone make a satisfying 'ding' when it hits a can.

Chances are I'll just gaze lovingly at whichever I buy more than actually fire it. An occasional plink down the length of the hallway when the mrs isn't around, or can bash in the back yard.
    No fiber optics on my recently bought HW75. Don't think you can get them with this gun, but my HW45 does have them. I have over painted them with flat black acrylic, which is easily removed if you want to go back to F.O.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day

It may not cock the gun but the hammer does have a function on the 45, it releases the top slide/overlever. When you are using it it doesn't come across as 'fake' or an unnecessary feature, if that makes sense?
    Have you used or shot a HW45? I never rated them, and couldn't see what all the fuss was about over such an ugly (it is ugly) gun. All that changed when I saw a 2nd hand one in a gunshop and had a test-fire. 10 shots sold me.

AFAIK the tru-glo sights are standard now, but there's a lot out there on the 2nd hand market with the old iron sights.
    Good deals with these members

Love my 45 to bits.

Had one when they first came out. Stupidly sold it to a friend (can't remember why, it will have been to help fund another rifle, I think).

Regretted it, BIG TIME.

Got another two years ago AND I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. Accurate, superb trigger, plenty of punch, love the character and firing cycle feel and I really love that smell of the factory lube burning off and blowing the smoke down the barrel!!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!