Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HW45 Some claims!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by Slinky-power View Post
    So I was looking at some reviews on youtube for this pistol and one in particular claimed it was probobly the finest spring piston air pistol ever made! That's some claim for a painted alloy pistol!
    Another review of the Beeman version said that only the .177 version was dual power! Is that right? Aren't all the cal's of the HW45 dual power? I thought they were the same basic gun?
    I really want one but still can't choose which version or if I should buy the HW75 for it's uber sexy hammer action!
    The engineering is excellent, my HW45 in .22 is over 20 Years old, still delivers 5.5ft/lbs and with just an occasional drop of oil I fully expect it to last as long again.
    Mine is alloy but it's die cast Aluminium, not Zinc alloy and the black finish on mine is a chemical surface treatment which is impervious to solvents and has held up very well to 20+ years of wear & tear ;-)
    The Beeman Version (Beeman designed it, Weirauch Didn't) review was probably of an early model, when the P1/HW45 was first released (when I bought mine) .177 was dual power only, .22 was full power only.
    At a certain point all moved to dual power, I'm guessing it simplified production to do all the internals the same.
    The HW75 is a Single Stroke Pneumatic, a good 75 delivers less than half the power of a 45, the 75 is recoilless though, so it's easier to shoot accurately without practice and is better for target use. Having said that although it's a very sweet gun the lack of a palm shelf roles the 75 out for serious 10m shooters,
    Get Both ;-)

- Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Thanks guys, thats cleared up a few things.

Really useful ta.
    -SP

BigEars Guest
    You really need both 75 & 45. No gentleman's pistol case is truly complete without the pair.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEars View Post
    You really need both 75 & 45. No gentleman's pistol case is truly complete without the pair.
    I've got a 75 and a Webley Senior.. Am I a gentleman?

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Seth View Post
    I've got a 75 and a Webley Senior.. Am I a gentleman?
    Not quite.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Not quite.
    But he does have a more refined palette....

I've got a 75 and a Webley Senior.. Am I a gentleman? OOPS double post

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Seth View Post
    I've got a 75 and a Webley Senior.. Am I a gentleman? OOPS double post
    A more traditional gentleman.
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

i had a dual powered hw45 in 22. it was a great pistol, but it just wouldnt stop deiseling every 15 or so shots. ive also got a hw40 which in my opinion is a very underated gun. the trigger on it is lovely and breaks very cleanly. it has true glo sights on it which are good. a friend of mine recently gave me a red dot which i fitted to the 40. i zero'd it at 10 yards. the accuracy is superb. if i do my bit i can shoot groups with it that i'd be proud of with a rifle.

ive said this before, but if i were to give it a fault it'd be that its slightly underpowered. it could do with another 1fpe, then it would be as good as anything else out there.

as i have small girly hands, i find it fits me quite well. i know the hw75 is supposed to be better because it has a better fitting stock to it, but isnt the action and power the same for the hw40 and the hw75?

Quote Originally Posted by gasman1 View Post
    i had a dual powered hw45 in 22. it was a great pistol, but it just wouldnt stop deiseling every 15 or so shots. ive also got a hw40 which in my opinion is a very underated gun. the trigger on it is lovely and breaks very cleanly. it has true glo sights on it which are good. a friend of mine recently gave me a red dot which i fitted to the 40. i zero'd it at 10 yards. the accuracy is superb. if i do my bit i can shoot groups with it that i'd be proud of with a rifle.

ive said this before, but if i were to give it a fault it'd be that its slightly underpowered. it could do with another 1fpe, then it would be as good as anything else out there.

as i have small girly hands, i find it fits me quite well. i know the hw75 is supposed to be better because it has a better fitting stock to it, but isnt the action and power the same for the hw40 and the hw75?
    If you have small hands the HW75 grips would suit you. The operating action is really smooth and has a solid feel. I think the power will be about the same as the 40, but there is no muzzle flip at all with the 75, and the accuracy is superb. Th cocking hammer is great an the dry fire facility is brilliant. the HW75 is very expensive (£300ish) but after using it for a while, I think its worth it. I too love the 40, but the 75 on another level.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Newhaven, Sussex (someone's got to live here)
    Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Get Both ;-)

- Nick
    I have just the one pistol case .......

for my HW75 and my HW45 Silver Star

Rapid MkII .22, AA400C .177, AA MPR .177, AA Prosport .177, AA TX200, AA FTP900, HW75 .177, HW45 Silver Star .22, and my dear ol' Webley Ranger .177 (circa 1966) Mile Oak - WEB SITE Air Arms HFT Team member

Both would be nice....
    But I can barely justify buying one!

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Both would be nice....
    But I can barely justify buying one!
    If you want to hit the 10 ring at 10m the 75 in .177 would be your best choice, if you want to knock cans around at 25 Yards and over get an HW45 but be prepared to practice, you will not achieve either straight away,
    ATB,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    If you want to hit the 10 ring at 10m the 75 in .177 would be your best choice, if you want to knock cans around at 25 Yards and over get an HW45 but be prepared to practice, you will not achieve either straight away,
    ATB,
    Nick
    I gotta say that both options have some appeal.
    The power of the 45 appeals, not so keen on the fake hammer. The hammer action of the 75 makes me want it but I'm afraid it won't even topple a match box let alone make a satisfying 'ding' when it hits a can.
    Are the tru-glo sights optional or on all of them now?
    I prefer just iron sights.

Chances are I'll just gaze lovingly at whichever I buy more than actually fire it. An occasional plink down the length of the hallway when the mrs isn't around, or can bash in the back yard.

I gotta say that both options have some appeal.
    The power of the 45 appeals, not so keen on the fake hammer. The hammer action of the 75 makes me want it but I'm afraid it won't even topple a match box let alone make a satisfying 'ding' when it hits a can.
    Are the tru-glo sights optional or on all of them now?
    I prefer just iron sights.

Chances are I'll just gaze lovingly at whichever I buy more than actually fire it. An occasional plink down the length of the hallway when the mrs isn't around, or can bash in the back yard.
    No fiber optics on my recently bought HW75. Don't think you can get them with this gun, but my HW45 does have them. I have over painted them with flat black acrylic, which is easily removed if you want to go back to F.O.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.