Aren't they just a bit...

...soulless though?

*Runs for the hills.

Quote Originally Posted by Minuteman View Post

...soulless though?

*Runs for the hills.
    You gotta be kiddin'!!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Minuteman View Post

...soulless though?

*Runs for the hills.

Lol you should be running for those hills as not many if any HW45 owners would agree with that one
    I recently sold a black star version to get a new rifle, i love the rifle but i sure do miss the pistol, feels like i sold my soul lol
    I tested many pistols before choosing it, was close to getting an alecto which is definately souless but does shoot accurate then one day i happened to test shoot a 45 and within seconds i knew i wanted one for a few reasons but other than how it shoots it was the fact that it did have good soul and feeling when you shoot it, gotta love that smell and the smoke and the kick
    God i want mine back lol

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    It's all out of proportion. It reminds me of Rocky Dennis from "Mask", its heads too big for its shoulders.
    My ignore list: ​<Hidden information>

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I've owned 2 and sold them both.
    Bought the first one (a .22) after much lusting after one...got it, sat down looking at it I realised thats its just way too big to be a 'proper' pistol.
    Its just one of many that sacrificed scale in the pursuit of power, on the subject of which - most of them diesel like buggery and don't produce much over 5 ft/lbs anyway.
    I even tried getting the shoulder stock & sight extension (if you'e tempted to try one - your eye moves nearer the rear sight and thus you need to raise the foresight to correct the error thats been introduced or fit an optical sight) but the proper HW one is a joke and designed for a gibbon
    Later in life I forgot the experience and bought a .177, within months that was gone too....Believe me guys theres so much better out there if you're willing to loose about one & a half ft/lbs of power that you really don't need....

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Believe me guys theres so much better out there if you're willing to loose about one & a half ft/lbs of power that you really don't need....
    What do you reckon is a much better springer then?

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by fok View Post
    What do you reckon is a much better springer then?
    Here's a few:

The Original mods 6, 6g, 6m and 10's are far more accurate. the BSA 240 is smaller, lighter, virtually the same power, made of better materials and just as challenging to shoot well. The Webley senior, premier, and to an extent the tempests, are all prettier, well made and fun to shoot in a compact package. The Record Jumbo would be the best pistol in the world if it could shoot its way out of a wet paper bag.

And of course, The Gat!

Every now and then I buy a 45 cos on paper it's great! I've had a few, in different calibres, and even had a Silver Star which wasn't quite as ugly. I get all excited, buy one, and then sit there looking at the metal warthog on the table and wondering why I fell for it again? I'm being strong now and trying to remember lessons learnt. The problem is that damn great lump of a Diana LP5 magnum has found it's way into my consciousness and I know that'll be worse!
    Last edited by tinbum; 24-11-2012 at 07:37 PM.
    My ignore list: ​<Hidden information>

Sorry Darren, but I agree with Tinbum, and I own a 45. They are out of proportion, ugly, and like many German products, while they're well engineered and technically good, they are soulless, lacking in grace. Many German things are soulless and bland, but the HW45 is downright ugly to boot. I only keep the HW45 because it was left to me by my uncle when he died. I would never buy one and would happily jettison this one from my collection if not for that. If I want to shoot a powerful pistol I reach for one of my BSA Scorpions, for general fun, plinking and so on, one of my Tempests, a Hy-Score or one of many other pistols comes out, I also have a couple of BSA 240 Magnums too which I much prefer to the 45.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    [...]

Every now and then I buy a 45 cos on paper it's great! I've had a few, in different calibres, and even had a Silver Star which wasn't quite as ugly. I get all excited, buy one, and then sit there looking at the metal warthog on the table and wondering why I fell for it again? I'm being strong now and trying to remember lessons learnt. [...]
    THIS! ^^^ It's all about the proportions of the '45 ... Its too tall, too big, and too German!!!

HW45 Versus HW75

Hi all. I have had both of these for a good number of years and become pretty much expert in their use and their inner workings.
    I would have no hesitation in choosing the HW75.
    Ive been involved in more than 1 or 2 of these pistol field target side shoots too, where again i would recommend the 75.
    Both are beautifully made but the accuracy of the HW45 off hand is NOT as good as many would have us believe. I think maybe its power, looks and quality lead many to assume it is very accurate, or simply exaggerate because they are so fond of it. I will post some offhand and benched comparison results. Also pellet recommendations if anyone would like them. The real problem with the 45 is controlling the recoil, which serves to throw the gun slightly top heavy. I have carefully studied the movement through the fitting of a rifle scope and even built a small wooden rig to detect its movements in the hope i might be able to tune them out a little.
    For the record there is slide rearward buck into the hand, followed a milli second later by a slight leap forward and upward by approx 1/4" There is also a very detectable anti clockwise twist as the spring unwinds clockwise but travelling in reverse of course.
    I have noticed that your field target members are having trouble controlling it which does not suprise me. I have a few small tuning recommendations but its pretty much there from a design point of view.
    On the other hand, the 75 delivers no noticeable recoil from its hammer or the valve release, with barely 3mm of upward movement from the pellet/air release from the end of barrel. Bench rigged it has the potential to virtually same hole at 10m, while i have managed comfortable 3/4 inch groups and less off hand.
    Its light on power in comparison but can be improved a little but can still drop std field targets out to 18yds.