Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: HW45 Some claims!

Sorry Darren, but I agree with Tinbum, and I own a 45. They are out of proportion, ugly, and like many German products, while they're well engineered and technically good, they are soulless, lacking in grace. Many German things are soulless and bland, but the HW45 is downright ugly to boot. I only keep the HW45 because it was left to me by my uncle when he died. I would never buy one and would happily jettison this one from my collection if not for that. If I want to shoot a powerful pistol I reach for one of my BSA Scorpions, for general fun, plinking and so on, one of my Tempests, a Hy-Score or one of many other pistols comes out, I also have a couple of BSA 240 Magnums too which I much prefer to the 45.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
    Sorry Darren, but I agree with Tinbum, and I own a 45. They are out of proportion, ugly, and like many German products, while they're well engineered and technically good, they are soulless, lacking in grace. Many German things are soulless and bland, but the HW45 is downright ugly to boot. I only keep the HW45 because it was left to me by my uncle when he died. I would never buy one and would happily jettison this one from my collection if not for that. If I want to shoot a powerful pistol I reach for one of my BSA Scorpions, for general fun, plinking and so on, one of my Tempests, a Hy-Score or one of many other pistols comes out, I also have a couple of BSA 240 Magnums too which I much prefer to the 45.
    Sold my HW45 still have my Scorpion - HW45 was great, better than my Scorpion in a many ways, I lusted after the 45 when I owned a Scorpion as a kid - wanted one so badly I convinced myself it would be an unbeatable spring gun to own, yet when in later life I could afford to buy them both it was the Scorpion that I warmed to.

Could this be nostalgia over common sense?

Possibly.

Would I buy another 45?

Maybe.

Would I buy one if I didn't have another air pistol?

No, I'd buy a Scorpion first.

WOW I have never heard of anyone putting down german guns like this before .I find german guns to be excellent.I think the HW45 is the best looking pistol,especially my black star.I think the BSA Scorpion is ugly.Years ago I swapped my scorpion for a fishing rod because of it's looks.

Everyone I know agrees that german guns are the best,they are far from soulless in my opinion.Yesterday I held my mates new HW100,what a gun was my first words I said to him.I had a s410 TDR not so long ago & the HW100 put it to shame.the smoothness of the HW 100 cocking says it all really,I WANT ONE BAD.Wish they had a take down version of it though.HW all the way & forever.

Well im keeping my HW45 cos its a superb pokey little pistol.
    I also do not think it looks ugly like some do!
    Daystate Renegade .177,Daystate Forester LE .22,Daystate Huntsman Classic .177,Daystate Huntsman Regal .177,Daystate Bullpup 2000 .177,Weihrauch HW45 Custom .22,Weihrauch Silverstar .22,Weihrauch HW77K SE .22,Weihrauch HW35E .22.

BigEars Guest
    I've never read such disgraceful comments in all my puff! Go and have a lie down young man.

Soulless! Pah! How very dare you?

The HW45 is ugly, but that hasn't stopped me buying one I suppose if you're used to handling a Colt .45ACP 1911 then the similarities (in the grip) are enough to remind you of it - and it then becomes ungraceful and out of balance. Those that are not familiar will tend to accept it for what it is.
    HW100KT, ATN X-Sght 4K Pro, MTC Taipan 6-24x56; HW97K, MTC Viper 10x44
    Walther LGV Comp Pro, MTC Connect 3-12
    HW45, Beretta 92fs, Premier, Tempest, MkIII, Orig. Mod50

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH00 View Post
    The HW45 is ugly, but that hasn't stopped me buying one I suppose if you're used to handling a Colt .45ACP 1911 then the similarities (in the grip) are enough to remind you of it - and it then becomes ungraceful and out of balance. Those that are not familiar will tend to accept it for what it is.
    In your opinion it's ugly,but the fact is it's not.Try specsavers they should be able to help you out,I am sure they do really thick glass down there

Joke,NOT

Quote Originally Posted by Hotshot666 View Post
    In your opinion it's ugly,but the fact is it's not.Try specsavers they should be able to help you out,I am sure they do really thick glass down there

Joke,NOT
    'Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder' as they say...

The other pistol I owned (apart from a 1911) which it reminds me of is this:
    http://img2.findthebest.com/sites/de...d_Victor_7.jpg

Which was perfectly balanced and looks the part. Still, pleased you are happy with your HW45
    HW100KT, ATN X-Sght 4K Pro, MTC Taipan 6-24x56; HW97K, MTC Viper 10x44
    Walther LGV Comp Pro, MTC Connect 3-12
    HW45, Beretta 92fs, Premier, Tempest, MkIII, Orig. Mod50

No hard feelings from my end for calling the HW45 ugly ChrisH00,I forgive you mate,everyone makes mistakes.Mistakes are a part of being human.Not sure if god will ever forgive you though

Quote Originally Posted by BigEars View Post
    I've never read such disgraceful comments in all my puff! Go and have a lie down young man.

Soulless! Pah! How very dare you?
    I'm sorry, I just can't help feeling like this, and I'm not the only one that feels this way. Many German products in general leave me pretty cold despite the fact that technically, they are very good. Comparing a German airgun, an HW35 for instance to say a BSA Airsporter or Webley Longbow is like comparing an FW190 or ME110 to a Spitfire, or a Mercedes to a classic Jaguar. All the German things are perfectly good but the British designed things have a grace or soul about them that the German thinks lack. It's true of airguns too...

This is just my opinion though, perhaps I just have a more refined sense of aesthetics than some...

Re: the BSA Scorpion VS the HW45... Has the HW45 ever been used as a prop gun in a Bond film? Nope! The BSA Scorpion has!!!

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Good deals with these members

I'm sorry, I just can't help feeling like this, and I'm not the only one that feels this way. Many German products in general leave me pretty cold despite the fact that technically, they are very good. Comparing a German airgun, an HW35 for instance to say a BSA Airsporter or Webley Longbow is like comparing an FW190 or ME110 to a Spitfire, or a Mercedes to a classic Jaguar. All the German things are perfectly good but the British designed things have a grace or soul about them that the German thinks lack. It's true of airguns too...

This is just my opinion though, perhaps I just have a more refined sense of aesthetics than some...

Re: the BSA Scorpion VS the HW45... Has the HW45 ever been used as a prop gun in a Bond film? Nope! The BSA Scorpion has!!!
    No it hasn't. It was a Walther LP! ^^^ And please don't prove me wrong with a Scorpion seen in some other Bond movie!!!

And the Walther wasn't in the film. Just in the film poster

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    [...]

Every now and then I buy a 45 cos on paper it's great! I've had a few, in different calibres, and even had a Silver Star which wasn't quite as ugly. I get all excited, buy one, and then sit there looking at the metal warthog on the table and wondering why I fell for it again? I'm being strong now and trying to remember lessons learnt. [...]
    THIS! ^^^ It's all about the proportions of the '45 ... Its too tall, too big, and too German!!!

Ahem!

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    No it hasn't. It was a Walther LP! ^^^ And please don't prove me wrong with a Scorpion seen in some other Bond movie!!!

And the Walther wasn't in the film. Just in the film poster
    http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Octopussy#...red_air_pistol

Sorry! Couldn't resist it
    HW80, AA S400F, Canon 5D mkII, all the gear and no idea.

Bah! Poor misguided souls.
    They're certainly Germanic in character but that doesn't mean they're soulless! I love that solid, Teutonic, over-engineered feel you get with the German guns. I currently own a HW45, HW75, HW77K, HW97K and HW80K and I feel somewhere there's an HW45 Black Star in .22 destined for my gun cabinet!

Airsporter compares favourably to an HW35 ... ho ho ha ha hee hee, it's a cracker! Might look prettier but wait until you shoot it.
    The only British gun that can favourably compare to the HW77 is the one that's a blatant copy of it! The TX does arguably improve marginally on a few of the functional design aspects but that central barrel to cylinder arrangement screws the aesthetics at the same time as bringing no benefit.