Page 12 of 81 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: The Muscle Power League - whats that then?

Some of the lads (lads? Dont make me laugh. Most look like they have over dosed on Sanatogen ) will have shot their MPL cards yesterday. I will go up to the Rivi on Wed night and laugh, I mean look at their efforts.

ATB
    Ian

Eye of newt and ear of frog ......
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

The RMTC will shoot their cards during the last week of each month as per the rules, but we have a couple that are away on holiday or working away this week and so they shot their cards at the club on Thursday night.

The results were quite interesting and the scores lower than expected due to the fact that it is a live witnessed shooting situation and that all cards are scored DOWN.

It is so much easier to go and hide away in the range by yourself on a nice quiet night, but to do it infront of everyone else "live" is much harder on the nerves and the way it should be to make sure we have a "real" competition - and gain good practice for any more serious future competitions.

So far this looks like a great competition as it uses classic air pistols and shows just how good and accurate they really are - and how little progress has been made despite the major increase in technology (and price) with the current range of PCP match pistols.

Lets hope we keep it going as it encourages many to take up the sport that have seen the new PCP prices and think they cannot afford to be competetive.

The MPL shows this is not the case and that a Feinwerkbau Model 65 or 80 ( and others from the same time period) can score just as well as an LP10 or P44 if the same amount of effort and time is put in with the pistol.
    Last edited by zooma; 27-08-2012 at 08:29 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Well, after months of preparation I finally shot my first round of the MPL tonight but what a wrong choice of night.
    My shooting coincided with the latest medal presentation at R.M.T.C. An event that full of glitz and glamour it would put the Olympics to shame. Amongst the popping of the Appletizer corks (well, we are a shooting club) and the numerous flash bulbs from the local paparazzi and Ferret Breeders Monthly magazine - I gave it my best. Four cards, five shots per card, outward scoring (as Im recoilless ).
    Not that the ceremony events put me off but with the Rawtenstall Anthem (a version of Rolf Harris 'Two Little Boys' done to a reggae theme) still ringing in my ears I shot a not to indifferent 161. And me, one who doesn't do competitions.
    So the challenge is open to those 'over the hill' in 'Bewt on' to do their best.
    Good luck pals!

ATB
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Well, after months of preparation I finally shot my first round of the MPL tonight but what a wrong choice of night.
    My shooting coincided with the latest medal presentation at R.M.T.C. An event that full of glitz and glamour it would put the Olympics to shame. Amongst the popping of the Appletizer corks (well, we are a shooting club) and the numerous flash bulbs from the local paparazzi and Ferret Breeders Monthly magazine - I gave it my best. Four cards, five shots per card, outward scoring (as Im recoilless ).
    Not that the ceremony events put me off but with the Rawtenstall Anthem (a version of Rolf Harris 'Two Little Boys' done to a reggae theme) still ringing in my ears I shot a not to indifferent 161. And me, one who doesn't do competitions.
    So the challenge is open to those 'over the hill' in 'Bewt on' to do their best.
    Good luck pals!

ATB
    Ian
    ........and a real good job you made of it too!

All the MPL cards shot so far have been with recoiless pistols of some sort or other (mistake?), and most of the club members who took part borrowed a pistol from another club member and shot it for the first time after just one or two "sighters", and a new member that joined us last night was also "encouraged" to join in, so the event was very much taken in the spirit the MPL was desgned to create - FUN.

Maybe for round 2 we will also invite a fancy dress code as well so nobody ever gets to take it too seriously?

Having said that, the scoring was done "without sympathy" - the only part of the MPL competition that has been taken seriously so far. One problem with borrowing a strange pistol is that the sights are set for the owner, and you have no idea about the trigger feel until it shoots - this caught out most of our club members and one who clipped the top of a card with one shot and was awarded a zero score !

Anyway - results so far:-

All the above cards were scored DOWN as per the MPL rules, and so most cards shot would have been worth on average 4 points more per card ( plus 16 on the 4 card total) if they had been scored in the conventional way. Some competitors that were unlucky enough to hit or touch (or even slightly nudge) a line with every shot ( easilly done) have lost 20 points on their 4 card series making the MPL a unique event that has dragged most of us down to a sobering score rate.

Good for the soul? - maybe - but I can imagine a few may actually have a practice with a classic air pistol between now and the next round to reduce the shock a little before round 2 - and may even be tempted to aquire a classic of their own so they can adjust the sights!

This Thursday will be the last opportunity for anyone to shoot in round one of the MPL so we should get at least a couple more conscipts to stand infront of everyone else and perform with a borrowed pistol and no practice infront of a rowdy crowd - the ideal envornment for competition shooting!

**Note:- Ian "W" was actually a cover for TC1 - but his training in the intelligence department of the RMTC obviously needs a litle more work as he has exposed himself in public ( again) - but this time only by revealing his real name!
    Last edited by zooma; 22-09-2012 at 09:16 AM.

My score with my FWB65 was THAT bad it doesn't appear in the above listings.

I think Jackie should have had that clipped pellet disallowed as she didn't actually hit the scoring lines and a few minutes work with a guillotine would have removed the evidence. Saying that ... if we only score hits on the target with a Webley pistol it could get expensive with pellets.

ATB
    Ian J.

I can guess what the 'W' stands for.

My score with my FWB65 was THAT bad it doesn't appear in the above listings.

ATB
    Ian J.

I can guess what the 'W' stands for.
    Now you have blown your cover and exposed yourself I will have to change it.

It must have been some sort of "Freudian" slip - sorry and all that!
    Last edited by zooma; 29-08-2012 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Now you have blown your cover I will have to change it.

No. No. It was definitely a Feinwerkbau. My Freudian is a .22

ATB
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Now you have blown your cover I will have to change it.

OK - the change has been made - I doubt anyone will notice ! :
    Last edited by zooma; 29-08-2012 at 09:29 AM.

You dont often see the words 'intelligence' and 'Rawtenstall Model Target Club' in the same sentence.

ATB
    Ian (W)

You dont often see the words 'intelligence' and 'Rawtenstall Model Target Club' in the same sentence.

ATB
    Ian (W)
    Yes you do - you just have't noticed since Amanada changed you back into a frog again - we really do need to get this sorted out before you finally croak it and hop off again.

Our intelligence department runs in much the same way as the "Navy Lark" one used to do....and I am sure you remember that - and if not - you can catch up with a few episodes on Radio 5 (also available on DAB and CD for the purist) !

This would give you something interesting to listen to as you sit under that new thatch you have just completed on your skip.
    Last edited by zooma; 29-08-2012 at 04:53 PM.

gordon is offline it`s taken me 6 years to get so far...
    Thanks for last night`s experience ( read shock ) lads ? and lasses . I was ok until Bob greeted me with.... "welcome and cough up some money or i`ll lock the door and refuse to supply the intravenous Philisan " and worse was to come when i spotted lurking in a damp corner ,the dreaded I J clone,who i last saw when there was only black and white telly, Be seeing you

Rivington results so far, with one days shooting to go (Thurs 30th - we dont open on Fridays ) and two more entries to come in:

John Ward. HW45. 156 (inward scoring + 1 point per card)
    Mel N. Compact. 155
    Amanda B. Compact. 155
    Chris B. FWB100. 149
    Steve W. Baikal IZH46M. 148
    Paul B. FWB65. 145
    Mike B. FWB80. 145
    Ron B. FWB65. 127
    Ray R. Org 6G. 73
    Christine B. HW75. 68

ITS CLOSE!!!

ATB
    Ian

These scores may alter slightly when scrutineered.
    Last edited by I. J.; 29-08-2012 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gordon View Post
    Thanks for last night`s experience ( read shock ) lads ? and lasses . I was ok until Bob greeted me with.... "welcome and cough up some money or i`ll lock the door and refuse to supply the intravenous Philisan " and worse was to come when i spotted lurking in a damp corner ,the dreaded I J clone,who i last saw when there was only black and white telly, Be seeing you
    Theres still only B & W telly in Rawtenstall.

Welcome aboard.

ATB
    Ian

Interesting results so far - well done to all those who have shot and good luck to those who will shoot the last MPL round one cards tonight.

The results so far look quite close - but very much in the spirit of the event that aims to include and encourage everyone to take part at all levels of experience and ability.

Last edited by zooma; 30-08-2012 at 10:17 AM.

Smile

reading this lot is better than listerning to Hankocks HalfHour: