Page 2 of 81 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: The Muscle Power League - whats that then?

Quote Originally Posted by mikec4 View Post
    Self appointed of course - can you meet his salary and benefits package Bob? I believe it makes Bob Diamond look good value for [everyone's] money.
    Yup - due to his stunning performance as our "liason director" ( did I mention this promotion?) I am going to double his pay.

Damm....can't find the calculator, can anyone help - whats two times nothing?
    Last edited by zooma; 19-07-2012 at 03:03 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    0.675 (5/8) of f*** all!!!!

HTH

Mike.
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Gentlemen - gentlemen please. 'Sticks and stones .......'

Today while I was at B.A.R. I managed to pick up a tidy, boxed HW70 pistol which I purchased for the club (out of club funds of course ). We now have two club pistols, an ElGamo and this HW70, either of which can be used by members for this upcoming new M.P.L. (after Ive adjusted the sights )

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Today while I was at B.A.R. I managed to pick up a tidy, boxed HW70 pistol which I purchased for the club (out of club funds of course ). We now have two club pistols, an ElGamo and this HW70, either of which can be used by members for this upcoming new M.P.L. (after Ive adjusted the sights )

ATB
    Ian [/QUOTE]

A good choice for a club "springer" Ian,

My first "proper" target air pistol back in the seventies was the HW70, and it is a very accurate little springer that performs well.

Like all "retro" pistols they may come as a bit of a "culture shock" after the posh PCP's - but with practice some very good scores can be had from them, and remember all the "recoiling" pistols used in the MPL series "score UP" whereas all of the recoiless pistols "score DOWN" so this can make enough difference to make them very competetive.

Another good performer that can be picked up cheap that performs very well is the GAMO Centre underlever pistol - well worth looking out for.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post

Another good performer that can be picked up cheap that performs very well is the GAMO Centre underlever pistol - well worth looking out for.
    I dont suppose you just happen to have one for sale do you Bob?

Anyway the Rivi lads () have got a HW70 to play with AND its got sights which is a luxury for them.

Dont forget the 2 points per card advantage for the recoiling brigade plus inward scoring. After the first season (6 rounds) we will have a better idea whether this handicapping system is working and can adjust it accordingly. Hopefully we will end up with a very strange mixture of pistols heading the winners league but I doubt very much if there will be any 'over barrel' Webleys amongst them!
    Now, Ive not only alienated the 'Rivi Clan' but stepped on the toes of some of the members of the Collectors Corner - and all before lunch! Who said men cant multi-task?

ATB
    Ian

Your are a true multi-tasker Ian - and I know your fellow Rivvy club members are eager to congratulate you with your recent performances!

I have two GAMO Centre pistols - I will certainly be keeping one of them, but I could let one go if you would like it.

Last week I took them down to the RMTC and was surprised just how good they were - the fixed barrel helps I think, and the underlever cocking does suite some better than a break barrel.

I have them here if you would like to pop over for a brew and a "pop" with them.

They are great fun on the Bell Target and give nice tight groups.

BTW - I still have my original instruction booklet for the HW70 - so if anyone has any problems trying to find out where to insert the pellet ( or anything else technical like that) I can take copies for you to distribute!

BTW 2. I think you could be surprised by somebody with a Webley - they do shoot well once you get used to them, and a true Webely fan may well make the effort to prove it!
    Last edited by zooma; 20-07-2012 at 08:03 PM.

Come to think of it - I shot some very good cards with a Webley Junior in the old 6 yard NARPA competition at one time ( many years ago) so the Webleys are not that bad at all, and no doubt the Mk1.and Senior could be even better?

I have a nice Premier - but it is a .22 so I won't able to use that - unless I can find a .177 barrel to fit it.......
    Last edited by zooma; 20-07-2012 at 04:29 PM.

Rules

The rules for this MPL series are now displayed at the top of this thread.

Please keep checking them for updates as they will be refined as they evolve - but they are intended to be simple and easy to understand so they are not expected to change much.

I am glad the rules are simple to understand Bob. Myself and quite a few of your intended opposition find it difficult reading more than a couple of lines at a time. The "Turncoat" Jones will hopefully be able to translate for his former clubmates from his new position as "Liason Director" within the new league. Lets hope that the new founded authority and company Merc dont go too much to his head......

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

The rules look fine to me Bob and we can always amend them after the first series if we feel the need.

I will post a copy on our clubs section of the NWAF site, in the Rivington Members section and will display a copy on our clubs indoor notice board for all to see.

Unfortunatley they are in English and 'shorts Wilson' may struggle to understand them - but then again he struggles to understand the instructions that came with his washing machine (hence the 'shorts' )

ATB
    Ian

........and another thing, I reckon the rules are pretty well devised as they stand. If they get anymore complicated there will be more opportunities for "misunderstandings" to occur in my opinion. I honestly cant wait to get started. All I need to do now is learn how to shoot properly. No small task believe me as my eyesight and ability to hold anything still for more than a few seconds deteriorates by the day.

Still, I reckon a bit of professional tuition in the enemy camp might help no end. At least I now have a gun capable of doing the business as Mr Jones proved when using my "new" FWB 80 to shoot some very impressive groups last night, the swine. My current mission is to try and match the turncoat scores by years end. Believe me , that's not going to be easy!

Do you think it might be worth posting a version of this post onto the "Collectables" section Bob? Other more mature and discerning shots might then view the details of our series prior to it commencing.

Lets get started!!!!!

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    ........and another thing, I reckon the rules are pretty well devised as they stand. If they get anymore complicated there will be more opportunities for "misunderstandings" to occur in my opinion. I honestly cant wait to get started. All I need to do now is learn how to shoot properly. No small task believe me as my eyesight and ability to hold anything still for more than a few seconds deteriorates by the day.

Still, I reckon a bit of professional tuition in the enemy camp might help no end. At least I now have a gun capable of doing the business as Mr Jones proved when using my "new" FWB 80 to shoot some very impressive groups last night, the swine. My current mission is to try and match the turncoat scores by years end. Believe me , that's not going to be easy!

Do you think it might be worth posting a version of this post onto the "Collectables" section Bob? Other more mature and discerning shots might then view the details of our series prior to it commencing.

Lets get started!!!!!

Andy
    Hi Andy - Please post it anywhere you like!

The idea is to provide three competitions in one that are simple and easy to run - and they are all self-administerred by the clubs themselves.

Firstly it is a monthly individual competition for every club member that participates.

Secondly, it is also a team event that encourages everyone to have a go as there are no real team size's and gives an overall average club score every month.

Thirdly, the top five results from every monthly competition go to the Elite League so the best shooters in each club each month represent the best each club can achieve.......and the good thing about this is that it may not be the same five shooters that represent their club each month as some get better and holidays and other things cause some competitiors to miss a month etc.

Its wide open - what can go wrong..... .......?
    Last edited by zooma; 20-07-2012 at 08:06 PM.

Ive just re-read the rules and there is one slight amendment which I suggest. Quote:

' All cards must be signed by the shooter and the appointed club scorer (who must be present when the cards are shot) - both to confirm the score and to identify the type of pistol it was shot with.'

Could this read: 'All cards must be signed BEFORE they are shot by the shooter and the appointed .....'

Just a thought.

ATB
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Ive just re-read the rules and there is one slight amendment which I suggest. Quote:

' All cards must be signed by the shooter and the appointed club scorer (who must be present when the cards are shot) - both to confirm the score and to identify the type of pistol it was shot with.'

Could this read: 'All cards must be signed BEFORE they are shot by the shooter and the appointed .....'

Just a thought.

ATB
    Ian
    I understand ( from what you described to me) that you have a difficult situation to resolve with not being able to see the shooter when he is shooting his cards due to the layout at your particular club.

Here are my thoughts that may be helpful - but your club will need to make the final "modus operandi" for yourselves as you will understand what works for you the best, and you already have some experience about how you witness the postal league cards your club members already shoot.

Each club must satisfy themselves that the cards are being shot fairly - so you may like to witness the pistol type and the competitor name declared on the card prior to shooting or entering the range, but you cannot witness the score until after the card is shot.

Alternatively you could just take the cards from the competitor as he or she leaves the range in the normal way - but checking the pistol type used to make sure the cards are scored correctly. This would be simple and easy.

If you issue the competition cards on the night just prior to them being shot I am sure this will work well and create the least amount of work for you.

Each club will have it's own individual circumstance to work within, and every competition like this involves a fair bit of trust on behalf of every competitor, so I am sure you will resolve it in the way that works best for you at Rivington.
    Last edited by zooma; 20-07-2012 at 05:01 PM.

Good luck to everyone who enters the MPL.

Have fun!