Page 5 of 81 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: The Muscle Power League - whats that then?

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Anyway, I am off in the camper van for a couple of days tomorrow, so keep things ticking-over until I get back and try to find a TC3 (no tutu required - we already have TC2 angel Frankie).

I will be giving points for originality, wit, humour etc but a bonus for recruiting a TC3 !
    I found last night, after much cajoling, bullying, shaming and outright bribery, that Rivi can muster 7 pistoleers; HOWEVER, one of these is TC2 whose loyalty has to be dependent on the wind direction and early indications of average scores; another has, as yet, no pistol and is hoping that the largesse of her husband will stretch to provide something of better quality than a "GAT " and a brave (foolhardy??) soul who intends to compete with a smooth bore Webley Junior for which we are struggling to find a pellet which provides any degree of consistency.

I believe we should score his cards +5 for anything which lands inside the 4 ring.

And you want TC3 to defect to shoot for RMTC???? By the way, TC1 has been informed that his cards must be shot at Rossendale; this will be reinforced by an inability to find anyone at Rivi to sign as witness

Hope your weekend in the camper van passes uneventfully

ATB
    Mike
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

I acquired a .177 Webley Tempest today and took it to the club tonight.

I shot a 45 at 10 meters with my first card........ but it was with my Model 80!

I did hit the card with the Tempest ( a few times) - but it needs a lot of work on the trigger to make it better and good enough to even consider using it in the MPL.

After 50 or so shots with the Tempest I was too knackered to shoot it again and my hand hurt!..and I never scored anything worth mentioning with the Model 80 after that either!

John Gould also shot the Tempest a few times and complained that it hurt his hand too!

I guess this makes the Webley a great "leveller" - put 50 shots through it and you won't be able to shoot anything else afterwards very well either!
    It just confirms what Ive always said about Webley pistols - great fishing weights!

Quote Originally Posted by mikec4 View Post
    I found last night, after much cajoling, bullying, shaming and outright bribery, that Rivi can muster 7 pistoleers; HOWEVER, one of these is TC2 whose loyalty has to be dependent on the wind direction and early indications of average scores; another has, as yet, no pistol and is hoping that the largesse of her husband will stretch to provide something of better quality than a "GAT " and a brave (foolhardy??) soul who intends to compete with a smooth bore Webley Junior for which we are struggling to find a pellet which provides any degree of consistency.

I believe we should score his cards +5 for anything which lands inside the 4 ring.

And you want TC3 to defect to shoot for RMTC???? By the way, TC1 has been informed that his cards must be shot at Rossendale; this will be reinforced by an inability to find anyone at Rivi to sign as witness

Hope your weekend in the camper van passes uneventfully

ATB
    Mike
    The biggest problem at Rivvi is finding some one who can write!
    The good news (For R.M.T.C. is that Chris, Amandas husband, wont let her use the FWB103 pistol in the compt as it doesn't suit her. I suggested they search for a nice Webley smooth bore pistol. What? Alls fair in love and pistol shooting.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    The biggest problem at Rivvi is finding some one who can write!
    I'm working on teaching them to write X but that might lead to wholesale forgeries of your signature

BTW Bob, we have lost a potential team member because you poached an Original 6 from under his nose and TC1 won't sell him the FWB 65 he hasn't got the strength to cock - major sulk mode and he's disappeared to Turkey for two weeks.
    ATB

Mike.
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

BTW Bob, we have lost a potential team member because you poached an Original 6 from under his nose and TC1 won't sell him the FWB 65 he hasn't got the strength to cock - major sulk mode and he's disappeared to Turkey for two weeks.
    ATB

Mike.
    I just love it when a plan comes together!
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Its easy to confuse and flumux the Rivvi lads. Just offer them two shovels and say "Take your pick?"
    You could be there for hours.

ATB
    Ian

Clocks Ticking.

It's almost August and so the first round of the MPL is almost upon us.

If Rivvy can't muster 10 shooters from their amassed numbers I will be very dissapointed.

RMTC is a very small and new club with basic facilities, but we will be making the effort and including absolute beginners in our team as we are more interested in getting everyone involved than we are about winning - so come on Rivvy - press gang some "volunteers" into your team and give them some basic coaching and get practising on your new club HW70 ( that's what its for).

We are doing the same thing here - (even including coaching the tutu clad TC2) as we want everyone we can find to experience shooting with these older type air pistols to discover just how good they really are and to see how little progress has really been made for all the extra sophistication and cash we invest in the new PCP pistols.

Human power provides the energy to compress the spring or pump the cylinder - but after this small amount of effort ( maybe more with a Webley) the end result will surprise most who give it a go and get some time in with the MPL legal pistols.
    Last edited by zooma; 30-07-2012 at 10:21 PM.

In keeping with the Olympic spirit I think the M.P.L. should introduce Dope Testing.

Asking some Rivvy members - "Who wrote Beethovens 5th symphony?" should remove a few of the competitors.

ATB
    Ian

If Rivvy can't muster 10 shooters from their amassed numbers I will be very dissapointed.
    I refer my learned colleague to post #62 re my recent efforts at Rivi despite constant undermining by your moles.

In keeping with the Olympic spirit I think the M.P.L. should introduce Dope Testing.
    I thought the M.P.L. was organised as a dope ring you know. where we all stand in a circle with no idea what's going on.

Mike

I thought the M.P.L. was organised as a dope ring you know. where we all stand in a circle with no idea what's going on.

Mike
    While you have all the team in a circle - find one that can read so he can pass on the rules as per post no 1 on this thread.........maybe you could do it?

........only four weeks left to swat up and find out what to do - better hurry!

I refer my learned colleague to post #62 re my recent efforts at Rivi despite constant undermining by your moles.
    Never fear! Ive heard on good authority that one of the HFT stalwarts have migrated to the world of pistol and bought an Original mod. 6. Then theres Mr Wilson who, once hes finished sulking in Turkey, knows where theres a bargain of a FWB mod 65.

Mike
    Basically - 4 cards, 5 shots signed/marked BEFORE you shoot and marked with YOUR name and the type of pistol used (to aid scoring). This for the last week in August. Lets see how the first series goes.

Now, are you going to explain that to Kev?

ATB
    Ian

Scoring with a Recoiless Pistol

Last night we checked to see how the MPL scoring would work in real life - and the results were quite surprising. In the MPL any card shot with a recoiless pistol will score DOWN when a shot touches or cuts a line.

A good card shot at 10 metres with a recoiless pistol that would normally score a 47, when scored DOWN could easilly become a 43 depending on the pellet cutting or touching a line........and so on.

If the same card could be shot with a recoiling pistol the score would be 47 plus 1 point bonus = 48 !

This should encourage the recoiling pistol shooters a fair bit as not only will a shot that touches or cuts a line score UP - a further 1 point bonus is also added to every card shot with a recoiling pistol.

With a recoiless pistol it is fair to say that it will be almost impossible to score a 10 as the shot would have to be dead central and not touching the line at all. Most 10 shots that are scored in the normal way are not actually "perfect" 10's - but in the MPL - with a recoiless pistol - they need to be!

It looks like this will be a very "different" competition to the usual pistol comps we have ever shot in before, and it should not only be good fun but will also encourage the use of some of the older pistols that have been left on the shelf for far too long.

......and given the scoring example above - it may pay to take another look at that recoiling pistol again after all !

At least with a recoiling pistol any 10 hit will actually score a 10 irrespective of how central the shot is placed within the scoring ring......and so on.......
    Last edited by zooma; 01-08-2012 at 07:48 AM.

Last night we checked to see how the MPL scoring would work in real life - and the results were quite surprising. In the MPL any card shot with a recoiless pistol will score DOWN when a shot touches or cuts a line.
    A good card shot at 10 metres with a recoiless pistol that would normally score a 47, when scored DOWN could easilly become a 43 depending on the pellet cutting or touching a line........and so on.
    If the same card could be shot with a recoiling pistol the score would be 47 plus 1 point bonus = 48 !
    This should encourage the recoiling pistol shooters a fair bit as not only will a shot that touches or cuts a line score UP - a further 1 point bonus is also added to every card shot with a recoiling pistol.
    With a recoiless pistol it is fair to say that it will be almost impossible to score a 10 as the shot would have to be dead central and not touching the line at all. Most 10 shots that are scored in the normal way are not actually "perfect" 10's - but in the MPL - with a recoiless pistol - they need to be!
    It looks like this will be a very "different" competition to the usual pistol comps we have ever shot in before, and it should not only be good fun but will also encourage the use of some of the older pistols that have been left on the shelf for far too long.

......and given the scoring example above - it may pay to take another look at that recoiling pistol again after all !

At least with a recoiling pistol any 10 hit will actually score a 10 irrespective of how central the shot is placed within the scoring ring......and so on.......
    Thats political speak!
    In layman and pistol persons language - YOU HAVENT A CAT IN HELLS CHANCE - of scoring a ten with a recoilless pistol.
    Now, wheres my Wobbly Webley?

ATB
    Ian

Thats political speak!
    In layman and pistol persons language - YOU HAVENT A CAT IN HELLS CHANCE - of scoring a ten with a recoilless pistol.
    Now, wheres my Wobbly Webley?

ATB
    Ian
    There you go - now you need a nice .177 Webley to be competetive - I knew you would see the light !

I have a nice .177 Junior I could let you borrow - the posh version with a rifled barrel!

I have a nice .177 Junior I could let you borrow - the posh version with a rifled barrel!
    Did Webley ever produce a NICE Junior (Senior, Premier, Hurricane, Tempest....). The only ones Ive come across are barrel bending , leg trapping, linkage snapping , 'bog door trigger latched' and inaccurate pistols which are much sought after as collectable items for people with rose tinted glasses.

I may be gone for some time.

ATB
    Ian