Thread: HW40 Pistol

HW40 Pistol

Hi guys i need some feedback as im thinking about purchasing an HW40 Pistol, is this a good pistol to purchase as im wanting to plink in the back garden.

cheers
    colt

Had one briefly... Decently accurate, and self-contained.

For sheer fun, i'd probably rather have a .177 pellet-firing CO2 pistol.

Hi Colt

They are well made, very accurate with a really nice, light, adjustable trigger. The new ones have truglo sights and there is a standard 11mm rail to add a scope or red dot. The only downside is they are not particularly powerful (mine is just over 2ft lb). I use mine indoors and outdoors in a dedicated HW40 HFT comp our club (Lea Valley) runs. It is a great little gun.

ATB

Jon

hw40

Cheers guys for responding i have one on order now as i like to devise little hft courses in my back garden.

cheers
    colt

I used to have one and really liked. Prefer my alecto though its excellent

Quote Originally Posted by colt View Post
    Cheers guys for responding i have one on order now as i like to devise little hft courses in my back garden.

cheers
    colt
    Sorry for jumping in late. Well done and, yes, you'll love it. Superbly accurate, great trigger and self-contained. Just the ticket for either plinking and able to perform well at short range precision stuff too.
    Do a google search for HW40 Review. I think the author was someone like tbay cooper, or something like that. Very concise, informative review.
    Enjoy your 40.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    I have the old version with metal sights.

As noted: it's an accurate pistol, well-built, and with a light trigger.

Some (myself included) do find it too light, especially in the muzzle.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Found it a horrible little pistol.
    Trigger self adjusted itself all the time,you would pull the first stage let it go and the spring had gone out of it and it was just floppy till you got to the second stage.
    Other times it would just be a single stage trigger.
    I adjusted it,thread locked the adjustment screw and it was okay for a while before it would go again.
    I also found the rear sight woud adjust the elevation on its own,when I used to push down on the back to close it after cocking my hand pushing down on the rear sight would cause it to keep coming loose.
    Again I did threadlock it and that part was okay after that but the trigger just drove me mad.
    Compared to the HW45,well there isn't a comparrison,the HW40 is just horrid and I was glad to be rid of it.

Never had a problem with the HW40, very accurate pistol with a nice trigger.
    The only reason I don't have one now is the cocking takes too much out the ol' bones now...
    Eric.

i think my hw40 is a great little pistol. the trigger is better than what are fitted to some rifles. if i were to pick a fault, it would be the power. if it did another 1fpe more it would be awesome. the accuracy is very good, if a little underpowered.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Cocking it is indeed a bugger! This seems to be an unfortunate characteristic of SSP pistols: lots of efforts goes into cocking, but not much power is generated.
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

hw40

I think the HW40 is the perfect pistol for pistol HFT, i was really surprised as the trigger is really smooth on par with some really good air rifles. You will enjoy shooting this pistol.

atb
    KJ1968

Quote Originally Posted by colt View Post

cheers
    colt
    I loved my two P17s/ Beeman 2004E,(clones of the HW40) but when I got the HW40 wished id gone for it in the first place. I cant imagine you being disappointed with this pistol. It is compact, accurate, well built, lovely trigger,easy to maintain, and if you don't want the fibre optic sights, just over paint with flat black acrylic paint. It has slight muzzle flip, as do other ssp,s but you soon get that under control. Its also great value for money. Once you get the technique, cocking is easy too. ENJOY!!!
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

I love the HW40. Takes quite a lot of effort to cock it but the trigger is very smooth.
    Much smoother than the Gamo Compact.