Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bsa airsporter mk2 versus webley mk3 (the later one)

Bsa airsporter mk2 versus webley mk3 (the later one)

Hi guys, just wondering members thoughts on the above mentioned, as build quality
    power and value as in really good condition as i have got a chance on both but can only afford one right now?
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by DRUMMERBOY View Post
    Hi guys, just wondering members thoughts on the above mentioned, as build quality
    power and value as in really good condition as i have got a chance on both but can only afford one right now?
    Neil
    No contest power wise.

MK2 Airsporter every time with a swept volume of about 49cc it can do 12 no problem.

And if you want to improve shot to shot consistancy to can send your piston to Chambers to have an O ring piston head fitted.

All the best Mick

Airsporter v Webley Mark 3

It depends on whether you are collecting or intending to shoot/hunt seriously. Most of the earlier Mk 2 Airsporters were not grooved for a scope but Hillier says some of the later models were grooved. The Webley is not really an option for a scope. The spot welded scope base on the later models is not up to the weight of a modern scope. Windage adjusted by tapping the dovetail block

The Webley is a pre war design, copied I think from an earlier Diana...very well made with some hand tooling. I have found the Webley much easier to work on and I have replaced the leather washers with ptfe washers. The Airsporter is a more modern design but more difficult, I find, to work on. I much prefer the Mercury. Power about the same I would think. My Webleys do about 9ft/lb.

The Webley and the Airsporter are really chalk and cheese.

Mike95

No contest quality-wise, buy the Webley. I have 2 Mk2 Airsporters, one is harsh, 9.4 ftlb and groups 45mm at 20yds, the other is smooth, 11.2 ftlb and does one hole groups but I wish I'd never sold my Webley Mk3.

thanks guys, keep them coming so i can make my mind up?
    neil

edbear2 Guest
    I prefer the BSA, but am biased.......The mk2's had two types of scope provision, either 4 cut outs at an unusual width that is a bit of an issue mount wise, or normal milled grooves later in production.......both are vastly superior to the Webley's spot welded tin affair, which is only suitable for the old lightweight 3/4" diameter scopes with very limited light transmission.....and even then these rails can unpeel

That said, The Webley will normally have a much nicer stock, wood quality wise, in fact these are (for me) amongst the nicest shaped jobs ever.

The trigger unit on the Webley is better engineered, and more substantial, as are the sights (especially the rear).....

Balance and shooting.......the BSA will edge the Webley powerwise, and accuracy will be pretty similar given equal condition of the bore, both are superb to handle, with the Webley being slightly easier in cocking action (for me anyway).

The blue on a good Webley will be much better than the BSA........Hang on, this is sounding like I prefer the Webley now

It really depends on what you want the gun for......If you want a .22, then I would personally go for a Mark 1 Airsporter!,( but it has no provision for a scope), If you want to mount a modern(ish) scope, and shoot / hunt a fair bit without the thing falling off, then It must be the Mk2 BSA......

Open sights, and no calibre preference (although .177's of each are more scarce normally).....then try and see what suits you....

All said, the BSA for me, not for any reason other than my personal preference....

Nice one Ed,

Can't say I noticed your Webley lapel badge when we were having a beer the other week!!!!

Cheers

Inproved...Steve....

Goodmorning, and thanks for all your views, just to let you know i opted for the webley
    its in first class condition never seen a lot of use in my opinion, apart from scope rail has been taken off and the comp chamber bluing is very thin there, i will put up a link later when number two daughter comes home from school and you kind members will maybe be able to give your views as to value all remarks are greatly appreciated?
    Kindest Regards Neil

Can't see your pictures as you have them in a private album
    atb
    dogsbody

thats the pictures now hopefully someone will let me know?
    Neil

Pictures fine now, looks a nice rifle, shame about the blue on the cylinder. Mine has no blue at all, and you get a hernia if you try and cock it. As its an early one, it's in the queue for a bit of tlc one day. Couldn't resist it as it was under £30 at an auction.
    atb
    dogsbody

Just got it yesterday had a shot at a bean can with a pepsi can inside and straight through at thirty yards they must have some power?
    Neil

Good morning, views as to value please?
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by DRUMMERBOY View Post
    Good morning, views as to value please?
    Neil
    It depends a bit on how those rather chunky scope rail blocks have been attached. For that reason alone it would put the purists off, but that said if it makes it a more practical rifle for you (that you can mount a modern scope) then it's not too bad I suppose. The woodwork looks in nice condition, but may have been refinished in the past.
    Those rail blocks will have a detriment to the price I'm afraid, so I'd say (taking the bluing into account also) about £70 - £80.