Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Of interest to everyone in the uk

Of-interest-to-everyone-in-the-uk

G'day,

zerogravitas wrote: "Make it difficult enough to own a firearm legally and only criminals will have guns."

There was an incident a few weeks ago in NSW [Australia] when an armed thug [well known to Police] attempted to force entry into a farm house having tried the same thing a little earlier at another farm house where he was driven off by the owner wielding a 'dangerous' hockey stick. The second farmer 'subdued' the thug by displaying an unloaded rifle - he did not point the rifle at the thug. The Police confiscated the farmer's firearms in consequence.

http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/4...e-at-his-home/

It's also rather amusing that the standard Police response is to ring the emergency phone number [000 in Australia], but if one lives way out of town on a farm [as I do] the Police will never arrive in time - a rural home owner is on his own.

Jim

via Ballarat
    Australia
    Last edited by NTSOG; 24-10-2017 at 10:08 PM.

Smile

please gentlemen let us rejoice in the fact that there has been no fatality
    in the uk caused by an air gun .
    and that sub 12 air gunners can enjoy most of the shooting skills
    in their back yards and permissions.
    and that we have sub 12 where others in europe have only 6

its damn good safe fun !! i love it

Born Again is online now Owns three Roy orbison albums
    Quote Originally Posted by pellet sniper View Post
    please gentlemen let us rejoice in the fact that there has been no fatality
    Are you sure ?

I've not seen any real correlation between a nation's gun laws and a reduction of murder rates or violent crime in general. The authorities know this, too. It's not about crime. That's a red herring. My considered opinion. Hope I'm not being too political here.

Rob
    < Actual selfie

Quote Originally Posted by WineRack 97KT View Post
    I've not seen any real correlation between a nation's gun laws and a reduction of murder rates or violent crime in general. The authorities know this, too. It's not about crime. That's a red herring. My considered opinion. Hope I'm not being too political here.

Rob
    The politicians Keen to be seen to be doing something, even if it's not effective. media jump on the bandwagon when there is an incident urging 'action'.
    Look at recent crossbow armed intruder at Windsor , journalist showed how easy it was to purchase legally " killer cross bows" . Something Petti Patel , Home Secretary is urgently looking at crossbow legislation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuyajonathan View Post
    The politicians Keen to be seen to be doing something, even if it's not effective. media jump on the bandwagon when there is an incident urging 'action'.
    Look at recent crossbow armed intruder at Windsor , journalist showed how easy it was to purchase legally " killer cross bows" . Something Petti Patel , Home Secretary is urgently looking at crossbow legislation.
    Precisely! It's the same pattern everywhere.

Rob
    < Actual selfie

Thumbs up now that's interesting!

same as @belchy being fairly new to firearms and yes those initial stats are old, I found those stats and thoughts really interesting and lots to think about before giving my t'penny worth for sure

Gun crime is only loosely linked to gun ownership rates. Its more about a culture of criminal violence than anything else.
    When I was a kid we used to take our sheath knives and Gat guns (Webley pistols only if you were very rich) to school to play with at breaktime. Can you imagine that now! Only recently a guy was arrested for walking near a school with an air rifle, oh how times have changed and sometimes not for the better either.
    An Emergency on your part doesn't necessarily mean an Emergency on my part!