Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Of interest to everyone in the uk

What good are laws when you have the blatant disregard of the law like this.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/sc...s-kids-1857773

All the licensing, by laws etc will do nothing to protect the public.

That is shocking.

Theres always going to be people who cause injury to others nomatter what weapons they can get hold of. restrict knives and sports equipment such as baseball bats? i dont think so

Exclamation of interest to everyone in the U.K.

What we have always stated: "Once guns are criminalised, only criminals will have guns!"

How many criminals would try to rob or molest or normal citizen or shopkeeper if there was the possibility they had a pistol to defend themselves, where are our rights to defend ourselves. Surely we need those rights as criminals do not recognise the law. Off my soapbox now.

Death rates due to fire arms

[QUOTE=LongReinette;5673676]Its possible that gun crime would have risen at a higher rate with out the ban. It may even be probable. But what the figures indisputably show is that legally held firearms are not the primary drivers behind the use of firearms in crime.

The anti-gun brigade always like to point to the US and the high crime and murder rates there correlated with the high level of gun ownership there. But across the border in Canada, they have a very low murder and violent crime rate and gun ownership dwarfs even that of the US. Hell, most houses in Switzerland contain assault rifles, yet its one of the safest places to live in.the.world.

Gun crime is only loosely linked to gun ownership rates. Its more about a culture of criminal violence than anything else.

Is that true? I would have thought the majority of gun crime involved replicas, fake guns, toy guns, bananas in soc

Hi

Switzerland has a much larger number per head of population than the UK it seems. Also looks like if guns are available they tend to be preferred for suicide
    What is really worrying is the massive difference in unintentional death........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ted_death_rate

Talking swiss guns

Swiss servicemen are given the opportunity to buy their automatic rifles on leaving the service which most do, but they must be adapted by law to semi automatic, it was actually a legal requirement in Switzerland for many years to own a rifle if one wished to get married, and airgun laws are different in that co2 and air powered guns that produce more than 7.5 joules (5.5 fpe) are considered to be firearms.#

Back to the speed issue...

According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), road traffic accidents kill more people around the world than malaria, and are the leading cause of death for young people aged five to 29 – especially in developing countries. Each year up to 50 million people are injured in traffic accidents, globally.

I don't think speed alone can be blamed for people dying on our roads, if you look at the number of reported deaths from road traffic accidents per hundred thousand of population (source: World Health Organisation(http://www.theguardian.com/global-de...angerous-roads) in 2012 there were 5.4 reported deaths in the UK and 6 in Germany. Given that the Germans have an advisory speed limit on their Autobahns of 130kmh and we have a maximum of 112kmh, if speed were the only culprit in road deaths then surely there would be a lot more reported deaths in Germany than what the WHO have stated in their report? No?

I have driven in lots of countries throughout Europe and, the one in which I felt most at risk to myself and my vehicle was Romania. That was in 1994 and we couldn't drive fast because of the state of the roads and the traffic, lots of horses and carts with no lights.

Maybe we should stop blaming speed and start looking at what and how we teach our young drivers, my wife is German and whilst learning she was made to drive on the Autobahn at 200kmh, now she hates it if I do 160kmh!

And you don't have to take my word for it, but thanks for reading anyway...

Crazy Numbers

Those number seems vary possible to me! With-in the the USA the states that have more strict gun laws you will be more likely to be a victim of a volent crime.
    People kill people and a gun is just there tool of choose.

The uk laws are crazy i agree.

And is why i have only just got another rifle (just did not want the potential hassle plus the stigma about guns).

The barmy thing is you can produce all the evidence you want but seems to fall on deaf ears.

Interesting thread especially for those like me who are new to the sport

Quote Originally Posted by 1952paul0 View Post
    I applaud you on your balanced view. However it is true that most chrime is by illegal shooters, and that any loss of freedoms for the upright and honest citizen should be mourned. We will never get our guns back and we have done nothing to deserve such treatment by the so called keepers of democracy, justice and rule of law. atb., Paul
    Amen - its all about the headlines and the kneejerks reactions.

Quote Originally Posted by jetski View Post
    Speeding does not cause crashes. driving recklessly causes crashes, but never simply breaking the speed limit.I don't really take notice of the speed limits. I drive to the conditions of the road. Sometimes driving much faster than the limit, other times much slower, and I have never had so much as a bump in my life. I've been driving since I was 17 and I'm now 34
    Never had so much as a bump in your life - despite seeing a whole load of them from the obviously less competent drivers than yourself, who having had to take avoiding action because they were not expecting some w***er driving much faster than the speed limits to close on them far quicker than the speed limit would have allowed and have subsequently crashed in your wake.

basc scotish ban

basc have been fighting this for over a year as far as i know

basc scotish ban

basc have been fighting this for over a year as far as i know

Little relieve

The best thing to come out of the uk government regarding gun laws is the on off, one on deals.whereby u can swap in you current .22 for a newer synthetic one, etc. A not too bad compromise from some Americans free willey approach to fire-arms.