Thread: Of interest to everyone in the uk

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I've only just taken the time to read this post, so my tuppenceworth is a bit late.

The OP claims 1949 deaths in the years 2010/11 through the illegal use of firearms.

This figure, around 37 unlawfull killings per week, is total . The UK has around 600 murders per year and the vast majority do not involve firearms.

ISBN 978 1 84987 623 0 is a good starting point, given the OP uses it as his reference. Here is a link directly to it;

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/publica...12?view=Binary

If that doesn't work then here is a quote from page 55

In 2010/11, there were 58 fatal injuries caused by the use of a firearm, an increase from the 40 recorded the previous year. The 58 fatal injuries recorded in 2010/11 include the 12 people killed by Derrick Bird in June 2010. However, serious injuries decreased by 18 per cent from 404 in 2009/10 to 330 in 2010/11, continuing the long-term downward trend.

though on page 18 it says:

In 2010/11, there were 60 shooting homicides recorded. This is an increase of 19 on the previous year and includes the 12 victims of the Cumbria shootings on 2 June 2010.

Can't both be right, obviosly. But both figures a little less than the 1949 initially quoted.

Now, ISBN 978 1 84987 623 0 is a long document, 118 pages to be exact, I only glossed over the first few pages, then used the index to go direct to a few relevent pages, and didn't bother reading the rest. I would suggest that whoever posted this on the OPs club website didn't even bother to read the index.

I've not posted this to start an arguement, more to question why no-one seems to have checked the facts, and why when as all the numbers quoted are wrong, the thread is a sticky.
    Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right.

The information is on my club's website and was also passed onto me by someone very well informed in a major shooting sports organization.
    The figures are certainly high. Perhaps others who have more time will comment.
    Graham
    Designer of BASC Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin2593 View Post
    I've only just taken the time to read this post, so my tuppenceworth is a bit late.

The OP claims 1949 deaths in the years 2010/11 through the illegal use of firearms.

This figure, around 37 unlawfull killings per week, is total . The UK has around 600 murders per year and the vast majority do not involve firearms.

ISBN 978 1 84987 623 0 is a good starting point, given the OP uses it as his reference. Here is a link directly to it;

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/publica...12?view=Binary

If that doesn't work then here is a quote from page 55

In 2010/11, there were 58 fatal injuries caused by the use of a firearm, an increase from the 40 recorded the previous year. The 58 fatal injuries recorded in 2010/11 include the 12 people killed by Derrick Bird in June 2010. However, serious injuries decreased by 18 per cent from 404 in 2009/10 to 330 in 2010/11, continuing the long-term downward trend.

though on page 18 it says:

In 2010/11, there were 60 shooting homicides recorded. This is an increase of 19 on the previous year and includes the 12 victims of the Cumbria shootings on 2 June 2010.

Can't both be right, obviosly. But both figures a little less than the 1949 initially quoted.

Now, ISBN 978 1 84987 623 0 is a long document, 118 pages to be exact, I only glossed over the first few pages, then used the index to go direct to a few relevent pages, and didn't bother reading the rest. I would suggest that whoever posted this on the OPs club website didn't even bother to read the index.

I've not posted this to start an arguement, more to question why no-one seems to have checked the facts, and why when as all the numbers quoted are wrong, the thread is a sticky.
    Pity you didn't read the thread, it said "deaths and injuries".
    I like Cornish Pasties.