Thread: BSA Airsporter S model numbers.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35

BSA Airsporter S model numbers.

Hi all,

Just having a look at the Airsporter S model numbers (well the 2 prefix letters) on the "What's my BSA" site and there doesn't appear to be a .22 Airsporter S mk3 listed, does anyone have the full set of S's in both calibres, the list shows the numbers for the .177 models (mk1 to 3) but only the mk1 and mk2 for the .22 models, I know the mk3 S had the deluxe custom beech stock on it (instead of the usual walnut) but it seems strange the .22 mk3 isn't listed, I know they did one as I had one many moons ago, I'm just going to check out what ones I have in my collection.

If anyone has the model prefix letters for a tap loader Stutzen then that would be handy as I have a hybrid model as well.

Cheers

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I have one Pete that I have owned since new. Will have a look tonight when I get back from work. Regards Max
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    I have one Pete that I have owned since new. Will have a look tonight when I get back from work. Regards Max
    Thanks for that Max, I've been doing a bit of Google searching and it seems (so far) that the mk2 and 3 have the same prefix letters of GP, which is odd but BSA have done that with other Airsporters, mainly the carbine (and carbine S) and Stutzen have the same prefix letters as well.
    Last edited by look no hands; 19-06-2023 at 10:43 AM.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Thanks for that Max, I've been doing a bit of Google searching and it seems (so far) that the mk2 and 3 have the same prefix letters of GP, which is odd but BSA have done that with other Airsporters, mainly the carbine (and carbine S) and Stutzen have the same prefix letters as well.
    So how do i find out if my airsporter s is a mk2 or 3 if they have the same prefix number. Mine is gp.

I added the following from my comments copied from The Collectables Section:

Hi All,

If it of any interest to getting a list of numbers going...

I have a walnut Airsporter S bought from Ramsbottoms in 1985, £85 delivered by post, wonderful days!!!

Still as new in original box with tags, etc.

A label on the end of the box gives the following:

BSA Airsporter S
    Small stick on label - 0.22
    Air Rifle Carabine A Air
    Number: GP2728

In a box on the label, G is written in marker pen.

Kind regards all...

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    So how do i find out if my airsporter s is a mk2 or 3 if they have the same prefix number. Mine is gp.
    From what I have learned and thought was correct, the mk1 S has the long underlever that goes all the way to the front of the stock, the front stock screws are within the front panel of checkering, the stock is also a bit flat at the front and it also should be walnut, the mk2 has a walnut stock but the front stock screws are in front of the checkering and the front if the stock is rounded almost with a slight point, the cocking lever is shorter with a push button to release it from the cylinder, what i believe is the mk3 has the beech deluxe stock with the more pronounced cheeck piece and proper hand cut checkering on the pistol grip only, it also has the shorter cocking lever and also has a maxigrip scope rail.

All S's (including Mercury's) should have the 17mm thick barrels and the Airsporters cylinders have a flat front where the barrel joins and has two fancy cutouts at the front of the cylinder either side of the barrel.
    Last edited by look no hands; 19-06-2023 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SRV1 View Post
    I added the following from my comments copied from The Collectables Section:

Hi All,

If it of any interest to getting a list of numbers going...

I have a walnut Airsporter S bought from Ramsbottoms in 1985, £85 delivered by post, wonderful days!!!

Still as new in original box with tags, etc.

A label on the end of the box gives the following:

BSA Airsporter S
    Small stick on label - 0.22
    Air Rifle Carabine A Air
    Number: GP2728

In a box on the label, G is written in marker pen.

Kind regards all...
    I have a few Airsporters now of the better type (if there is such a thing), I'll get the numbers up.

Just checked mine and although the stamping is tiny and I had to put my glasses and use a magnifying glass, I reckon the prefix letters are GP,

Regards Max
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    From what I have learned and thought was correct, the mk1 S has the long underlever that goes all the way to the front of the stock, the front stock screws are within the front panel of checkering, the stock is also a bit flat at the front and it also should be walnut, the mk2 has a walnut stock but the front stock screws are in front of the checkering and the front if the stock is rounded almost with a slight point, the cocking lever is shorter with a push button to release it from the cylinder, what i believe is the mk3 has the beech deluxe stock with the more pronounced cheeck piece and proper hand cut checkering on the pistol grip only, it also has the shorter cocking lever and also has a maxigrip scope rail.

All S's (including Mercury's) should have the 17mm thick barrels and the Airsporters cylinders have a flat front where the barrel joins and has two fancy cutouts at the front of the cylinder either side of the barrel.
    Mines a mk2 by that discription. Cheers pete.