Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Of interest to everyone in the uk

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    geoffd69 is offline Pops head up, looks around, squeeks and runs back underground
    Colorado

Laws

Laws and locks are for honest people. If there's a law then there is always someone somewhere thats going to break it. How many of us drive faster than 70mph on the roads?
    BUT there is a massive difference between driving well within the limits of the car and some, would be hard case packing a shoota. Anyone can win an argument by poking a barrel up someones nose.

"Standing out in the rain doesnt make you hard it makes you wet!"

Quote Originally Posted by wild75 View Post
    Laws and locks are for honest people. If there's a law then there is always someone somewhere thats going to break it. How many of us drive faster than 70mph on the roads?
    BUT there is a massive difference between driving well within the limits of the car and some, would be hard case packing a shoota. Anyone can win an argument by poking a barrel up someones nose.

"Standing out in the rain doesnt make you hard it makes you wet!"
    Cars are capable of more than 70mph, many drivers, depite their assertion that they are "Formula 1" material, are not . With a speed limit, drivers are able to make good judgement calls on what to do vis-a-vis other people on the road. How many deaths a year from driving? Quite a few Certainly, a massive amount more than guns are responsible for. I reckon the Ambulance services and Police view speeding as fairly serious, as they are the ones who have to scrape victims of it up afterwards.
    Its just unfortunate that the law has not updated to make killing via a vehicle murder/manslaughter as appropriate.

Speeding does not cause crashes. driving recklessly causes crashes, but never simply breaking the speed limit.I don't really take notice of the speed limits. I drive to the conditions of the road. Sometimes driving much faster than the limit, other times much slower, and I have never had so much as a bump in my life. I've been driving since I was 17 and I'm now 34
    Seal sets for the SMK XS78 QB78 TH78 XS79 AirGuns ~ £5 each posted

Quote Originally Posted by jetski View Post
    Speeding does not cause crashes. driving recklessly causes crashes, but never simply breaking the speed limit.I don't really take notice of the speed limits. I drive to the conditions of the road. Sometimes driving much faster than the limit, other times much slower, and I have never had so much as a bump in my life. I've been driving since I was 17 and I'm now 34
    what a load of rubbish. speeding does cause crashes and sometimes has absolutely nothing to do with road conditions. Outside influences other than road conditions can cause crashes. If you speed then the reaction time to outside influences reduces purely down to your ability to react to them. Your reaction time will remain the same at 50 mph to 80 mph. Your reaction to a given incident does not increase because you are going faster, on the contrary your reaction remains the same however you have less distance to react as you have traveled further. You sir, have been lucky so far. I have passed the advanced driving course and dabbled years ago in a bit of motor sport. This did not prevent two fully grown roe deer from trying to take up residence on the bonnet of my car and under the wheel of the drivers side. I was driving just below the speed limit on a dry road and perfect visibility. Those two roe deer cost me a new front wing tracking arm front grill and near heart attack. I was very lucky that nothing was coming the other way as the impact caused the vehicle to bounce across the road onto the opposite carriageway. Sorry, when i say car i was driving a big 4x4. If i had been driving a car god knows the outcome. If you keep driving much faster than the limit fine. the road conditions may be great. You may be the best driver in the world and i am sure formula one will be signing you up very soon. However even the best of the formula one guys all driving in the same direction with all their safety equipment have accidents. ask ayrton senna!

You say "The OP claims 1949 deaths in the years 2010/11 through the illegal use of firearms. "

but the figures in the orginal posts says

"The OP claims 1949 deaths and injuries in the years 2010/11 through the illegal use of firearms. "

that is why you don't agree with his figures you misread them

Quote Originally Posted by jetski View Post
    I'm not so sure if those prove anything either way. Gun crime was rising steadily before the ban, it's kept rising but possibly at a slower rate than it would of if handguns weren't banned? Who knows? Clearly it didn't make the impact they made out it was going to make but no one can be sure of what really would of taken place
    Its possible that gun crime would have risen at a higher rate with out the ban. It may even be probable. But what the figures indisputably show is that legally held firearms are not the primary drivers behind the use of firearms in crime.

The anti-gun brigade always like to point to the US and the high crime and murder rates there correlated with the high level of gun ownership there. But across the border in Canada, they have a very low murder and violent crime rate and gun ownership dwarfs even that of the US. Hell, most houses in Switzerland contain assault rifles, yet its one of the safest places to live in.the.world.

Gun crime is only loosely linked to gun ownership rates. Its more about a culture of criminal violence than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    The majority of armed crime is still carried out with shotguns <snip>
    tac
    Is that true? I would have thought the majority of gun crime involved replicas, fake guns, toy guns, bananas in socks, fingers in pockets, converted starter pistols and flare guns, and illegally imported handguns from the US, eastern Europe and other parts......

Death rates due to fire arms

[QUOTE=LongReinette;5673676]Its possible that gun crime would have risen at a higher rate with out the ban. It may even be probable. But what the figures indisputably show is that legally held firearms are not the primary drivers behind the use of firearms in crime.

The anti-gun brigade always like to point to the US and the high crime and murder rates there correlated with the high level of gun ownership there. But across the border in Canada, they have a very low murder and violent crime rate and gun ownership dwarfs even that of the US. Hell, most houses in Switzerland contain assault rifles, yet its one of the safest places to live in.the.world.

Gun crime is only loosely linked to gun ownership rates. Its more about a culture of criminal violence than anything else.

Is that true? I would have thought the majority of gun crime involved replicas, fake guns, toy guns, bananas in soc

Hi

Switzerland has a much larger number per head of population than the UK it seems. Also looks like if guns are available they tend to be preferred for suicide
    What is really worrying is the massive difference in unintentional death........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ted_death_rate

solve the problem i think not

it seems that whatever laws have been introduced, they have not improved the situation that for shaw.

and innocent law abiding people who own guns and use them within the law are penalised for it and the easy target for politicians, police forces and the general public.

Perhaps the police should be better at controlling the black market in gun movements, as this is where the real police work is, not with all the red tape for poor old law abiding shooters

Ammo left hanging

My son came back from the gym the other day and told me that someone had left a full shotgun cartridge belt hung up and left unattended. It amazes me that somebody with such a low IQ could get a shotgun license, it honestly makes me laugh out loud!

Theres always going to be people who cause injury to others nomatter what weapons they can get hold of. restrict knives and sports equipment such as baseball bats? i dont think so

Exclamation of interest to everyone in the U.K.

What we have always stated: "Once guns are criminalised, only criminals will have guns!"

How many criminals would try to rob or molest or normal citizen or shopkeeper if there was the possibility they had a pistol to defend themselves, where are our rights to defend ourselves. Surely we need those rights as criminals do not recognise the law. Off my soapbox now.

Crazy Numbers

Those number seems vary possible to me! With-in the the USA the states that have more strict gun laws you will be more likely to be a victim of a volent crime.
    People kill people and a gun is just there tool of choose.

The uk laws are crazy i agree.

And is why i have only just got another rifle (just did not want the potential hassle plus the stigma about guns).

The barmy thing is you can produce all the evidence you want but seems to fall on deaf ears.