Thread: Still yearning for better glass ?

Still yearning for better glass ?

Following an earlier post on here I want something nice for my Huntsman that is primarily used for HFT?

Narrowed the choice down to the following three
    I would prefer side parralex and budget is £150 max

Hawke Varmint SF 3-12 x44 or 4-16 x44 half milldot (like to make use of chair gun)
    Mtc Mamba Lite 3-12x44 (concern about reports of white out and compatibility with chair gun)
    Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 (almost decided to discount this one due to BDc ret and HFT and of course the need to re parralex)

Other forum members advice would be appreciated and other recommendations that fit the criteria above would be duly considered. I know I am not looking at top of the range glass but within this price range is all I am willing to spend.
    I have an old Hawke frontier 2.5-10x40 milldot ret on another gun which has some fantastic Japanese optics and would be made up if I can find anything to that standard?
    Many Thanks
    Mark
    Last edited by Mcdemon; 24-07-2012 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Text missing

As i wrote on another thread, glass needs to suit your eye like a particular pellet needs to suit your rifle, so just because a scope suits one man does not mean it will suit you!

You need to look through the scope options & see which is best for YOU.

Personally I found the reticle on the Varmint very thick & clumsy, I've never tried a nikon.
    As soon as I looked through a Mamba-lite I was reaching for my wallet.

firstly forget chairgun as an accurate guide! I wouldnt buy a scope based on software compatibility. Buy a scope based on most important feature the glass your question literally tells you the answer. The latter of the 3 would be my first choice. Also for HFT look at a Bushnell legend very popular no issues with whiteing out plain and simple.
    A Real Peaky Blinder - Spring Is The Thing

Im always looking for a better scope but i cant fault my Simmons aetecs so i dont know
    why i bother.

agree also whitetail classics and dont forget Hawke Panaroma/Hawke Eclipse but for me Legend and Nikon Prostaff
    A Real Peaky Blinder - Spring Is The Thing

I've been shooting HFT a long time now and have stuck with the same scope despite trying out every HFT style scope there is. Even up to the Mk4 leup.

There's a reason why the 10x44 MTC Viper is the most prevelent scope on the UKAHFT circuit. I love mine but many others don't get on with them. The selection of a HFT scope is personal and the problem with asking for advice is that many will recommend what they are using.

THE best advice anyone can give is to go to a club and try out as many as possible...and even then that may not help. For example i tried the Bushnell elite and was blown away by the sight picture, clarity and depth of field.....then i shot it on a course and soon realised that there was a huge amount of parallax error which caused misses on the closer 15mm targets. And then others put in good scores with the same scope.

Minefield mate......absolute minefield.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

Although the advice is to look through as many scopes as possible and make up your own mind, I have found that you really need to shoot a few comps with a scope to work out if it really does what you want.

The problem is that what I like in a scope isnt what the next person does, I dont like high mag, busy rets, bells and whisles, I dont like big scopes that upset rifle balance....So I shoot on 6 or 7x mag and 32mm objective with a simple mildot ret. Many would hate using my scope, regardless of 'glass quality'. Also really subtle things rule out a scope for me, some of which are hard to describe. I tend to like Hawkes, they work for me.
    I hate MTC's. But thats JUST me.

My advice is.....buy a mildot 3-9x40 for 40 to 80 squids to get started. Sell it when you have a good idea of what you want to replace it with, or keep as a backup.

secretagentmole Guest
    Look through the scopes, even two scopes from the same range can be miles apart optically!

Thanks for all your honest answers and yes I do need to look through a few?

I love my Hawke Frontiers quality of glass but finding another one may be a patient wait?

Personal choice yes is the discerning factor I think!

The Nikon is the best glass I have looked through so far but the BDC reticle will not be suitable for my needs.

The sidewinder I looked at was superb but out of my budget.

Next one on the list will be the Mamba lite I think?