Thread: Webley pistol springs

Webley pistol springs

Its funny how you get used to shooting a gun and do not notice that it has lost some of its power when I got my late model all steel premier about five years ago I striped it down and gave it a good clean and put plenty of molly paste on the moving parts and I was very pleased with it.

I have just got myself a webley mk1 pistol and and I have found it be much much harder to cock this is partly due to the different linkage but I decided to find out more by stripping both pistols and taking the springs out what I found quite shocked me as the spring in my premier was not only an inch shorter than the other one but also had to kinks in it.

So I decided to try the longer spring in my premier and what a difference it has much more power obviously the premier spring was well past its sale by date I have just ordered a new spring for it cost just over £20 posted so it will be interesting to see if the new spring is the same length as the one out of the old mk1.

I just thought that people should be aware that if you do not have one of those things ( I can say it but can not spell it) to test the power of your guns every now and then it would be worth striping them down and checking the the spring is in good condition also a fresh coat of molly past helps it work smoother.

The new spring arrived this morning from

http://www.airgunspares.com/store/ca...r,Mk1,Premier/

Not bad as I only ordered it yesterday £20.50 posted so I took both of the guns apart and the new spring is slightly longer than the mk1 spring so that one must have been replaced at some time it was one heck of a squeeze to get it in but the gun is so much better than it was with the old short bent spring that was £20 well spent.

Hi Beagle,

I recently bought a new spring for my late E series .22 Premier (from Chambers, code MS068, sold as 'Genuine Webley' £13.04 inc postage).

The old spring was quite twisted and compressed. Heres a pic of the old and new springs: http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/u...1/P1010722.jpg

And the simple pistol in bits: http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/u...1/P1010724.jpg

Looks like the hard nylon piston seal will go on for a good while yet...

Worn spring symptoms:
    Felt 'easy' for the first quater of the cocking stroke.
    Shots going 3" to the right at 10 yards (gripping the pistol tight reduced the distance, but it was still shooting right).
    Could see the pellets flying very easilly (looping off to the right).

Fitted the new spring (and lubed) - Pellets now going straight!

I've just chrono'd the pistol @ 337 FPS with Superdomes (3.6 FPE).

Sadly I couldn't chrono it before the re-spring, as I've only just bought the Chrony.

I'll let you know the FPS in .177 when I get the spare barrel on there

MK1 cocking effort - Yep, when Webley introduced the 3 peice cocking link with the Senior, they claimed 40% less cocking effort compared to the mk1.

Probably why the .22 mk1 barrels can become bent by cocking.

Phil
    Last edited by Rickenbacker; 26-07-2012 at 03:10 PM. Reason: more info / pics

Hi Phil I did check out Chambers and there price was the much the same but there site said out of stock my spring was bent like the one you had is your gun the one with the white writing on the side or like my gun with the tin sticker in the recess in the side.

If I could afford it I would love to get a mint blued one with the brown grips in .177 although I love my black .22 one I do not think that they finished them off quite as good as the blued ones thinking that the thick paint would hide any blemishes.
    Pat

Hiya Pat,

Yes, my Premier is like yours, with the recessed badge. I agree that the lacquered finish is not my favorite either, but I'd prefer a good lacquered one over a poor condition blued one

Congratulations on getting yourself a mk1. And it sound like maybe theres more to come...

ATB - Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Hiya Pat,

Yes, my Premier is like yours, with the recessed badge. I agree that the lacquered finish is not my favorite either, but I'd prefer a good lacquered one over a poor condition blued one

Congratulations on getting yourself a mk1. And it sound like maybe theres more to come...

ATB - Phil
    I just sold mk1 for what I paid for it so only loosing out on the cost of posting it on so all being well I will be replacing it with a .177 premier when the rite one comes up for sale.

I said that I rely fancy having a mint .177 with brown grips and blued finish in a box expensive yes but as long as its not to expensive it has be be a good investment and as long as it is used carefully a bit of fun as well I can never see the point in having something and not using it.

Pat