Thread: just got my SGC can i own a muzzle loader ?

just got my SGC can i own a muzzle loader ?

hi guys after 7 months wait .... i got my ticket . can i own a muzzle loading shotgun ?
    iv shot them many times before and love them , i know there not practical for "proper shooting" but i would love a walk about with one , probably single barrel percushion cap type .
    id enjoy your input on this as it would be an ambition acheived !
    all the best , matt

Yup.

It's smooth-bore and it's a shotgun. The method of ignition is a never-mind. Single barrel percussion shotguns are often referred to as fowling-pieces, and the auction rooms are knee-deep in them [well, almost]. Make sure that you get one that is in proof and then get back to us. A few in my club shoot such old stagers.

On the other paw, you get something that has a bit more mana - a Brown Bess, for instance!

tac

awsome im going to look for one soon as , the one i enjoyed most was a 14bore if i remember right !!
    this is great im over the moon !
    all the best , matt.

You can buy an antique M/L without a licence.

You can only buy a modern repro. M/L with a licence.

If you want to shoot the antique you must put it on your SG certificate and don't shoot it until someone who knows what they are doing ensures that it is in proof and safe.

If you want to use Black Powder (and get the flash and smoke) you will need an explosives licence....see your firearms officer, or you can use a modern smokeless equivalent which does not need an explosives licence.

What ever you do don't use nitro and make sure that you clean the gun afterwards.

It's good fun.....

Dick.

Good choice.

I love BP and I shot everything from pocket pistol to cannon before I became old.

The only one I couldn't put down was the monthly ML clay shoot.

Too much fun

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph View Post

Dick.
    The OP HAS a shotgun licence, so he CAN buy a smoothbore - replica or the real thing - and shoot it.

tac
    Last edited by tacfoley; 28-07-2012 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    The OP HAS a shotgun licence, so he CAN buy a smoothbore - replica or the real thing - and shoot it.

tac
    I agree he can buy either but if an antique, he would need to enter it on his certificate and tell the Firearms Office if he wants to shoot it.

I agree he can buy either but if an antique, he would need to enter it on his certificate and tell the Firearms Office if he wants to shoot it.
    That is implicit in my response.

tac

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

If you want to shoot the antique you must put it on your SG certificate and don't shoot it until someone who knows what they are doing ensures that it is in proof and safe.

If you want to use Black Powder (and get the flash and smoke) you will need an explosives licence....see your firearms officer, or you can use a modern smokeless equivalent which does not need an explosives licence.

What ever you do don't use nitro and make sure that you clean the gun afterwards.

It's good fun.....

Dick.
    That sums it up very well.
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

I shoot a muzzle loading side by side, its a 16 bore and ideal for pigeons or rabbits. Ihave also shot a 14 bore side by side at clays. Great fun

All the legal advice is already here but I would just like to say definitely get the ML shotgun. I owned a double 14 bore 30 years ago and still dream about wandering the edges of fields and through sugar beet waiting for something to spring up then having to step round the cloud of smoke to see if I hit anything. It's a lot of faff but if you like all the business of loading and getting to know its very eccentric behaviour there is nothing like it.