Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10m Match Pistol, non-PCP

10m Match Pistol, non-PCP

Hi Chaps,

Watched the women's comp earlier today. Enjoyed it. It's the first time that I've actually managed to watch any match target shooting on the box. Although some say it's boring, I thoroughly got into it. It must be one hell of a nerve-racking time and you could feel the tension and the sense of occasion. The pressure must be huge and after years of training your dream can be over so quickly. The French lady (I wanted her to win, as I thought she was the least munter-ish, not that I'm shallow, honest), had a slim advantage coming to the very last shot and I assume it was the nerves that got the better of her.

Anyway, due to time constraints etc., most of my shooting these days is at home and I can just about muster up a 12 yard range. I've often thought about using a match rifle or pistol, for their sheer precision and engineering. I don't want to go down the PCP route, so the question is, what to go for?
    What single stroke pneumatics to go for? Do Feinwerkbau, Walther, FAS, Morini etc make such a beast these days? Or am I better going for a classic Feinwerkbau recoilless springer of yesteryear? As I know so little about them, I'd be panicking about getting a good one, as it'd be a keeper. Would a HW75 be up to the mark? And how good is that Gamo single stroke pneumatic target pistol?

All reasoned and well informed views appreciated.
    Last edited by TonyL; 29-07-2012 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Spelling
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

I think Peteswright has purchased a HW75 fairly recently, and has been extremely impressed with it. Not used one myself, but I do own a Gamo compact and do like it very much (but I have not used any other similar target pistols to compare it with). The Gamo is light in weight, easy to use, and has a nice Walnut target-style grip. The only obvious flaw is a trigger adjustment screw which doesnt actually do anythig as it is manufactured too short in length. Nick (magicniner) has a Gamo service & upgrade service which can bring your pistol to tip-top performance, and with a replaced trigger screw. A Gamo compact is inexpensive, and may be the ideal "entry" pistol to see if you enjoy this type of shooting without a high initial outlay.

HW, Gamo are nice, but arent real 100% matchpistols.
    Stick with the quality match brands: FWB, Steyr, Walther, etc.
    I personally dont like the FWB65 springer but it does have lots of followers up here. I like the Diana LP6M/10 better.
    SSP, several are around, FWB being quite popular with their 100/102 etc.
    Dont think morini and steyr had a SSP. (there's ís a rebadged morini sidelever ssp, but it isnt a real morini iirc).
    Walther does.
    Also very popular, the IZH46.
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by lesj View Post
    I think Peteswright has purchased a HW75 fairly recently, and has been extremely impressed with it. Not used one myself, but I do own a Gamo compact and do like it very much (but I have not used any other similar target pistols to compare it with). The Gamo is light in weight, easy to use, and has a nice Walnut target-style grip. The only obvious flaw is a trigger adjustment screw which doesnt actually do anythig as it is manufactured too short in length. Nick (magicniner) has a Gamo service & upgrade service which can bring your pistol to tip-top performance, and with a replaced trigger screw. A Gamo compact is inexpensive, and may be the ideal "entry" pistol to see if you enjoy this type of shooting without a high initial outlay.
    I have indeed recently bought the HW75 and it is extremely accurate, and nice to shoot and handle. The trigger is excellent. I also have the Gamo Compact which is also very accurate. As regards the trigger on the Compact, I have simply got used to it rather than having it improved which a lot do. All you need to do is put increasing pressure on it and it does the job ,its also much cheaper. If you can hold still on target, get good sight picture, with smooth trigger squeeze, you can achieve very tight groups with these pistols. Bare in mind, the Compact has palm shelf, the 75 doesn't, but I get on fine without palm shelf.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    The Gamo Compact needs a longer sear engagement screw fitting and the stamped sear faces stoned, polished and lubed, after that it is genuinely match grade.
    FAS 604, FAS 606, Pardini Fiocchi P10 and AirMatch 600 are all excellent SS
    p & turn up from time to time. If you came to the UBC Meet at The Greyhound in October you could try all of them to see which suits you best ;-)
    The advantage of SSP over springers is that a repair is only ever likely to require O rings and labour,
    Regards,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Have you thought about the Tau 7's which run off CO2?
    Whatever doesn't kill you, is going to leave a scar... A Crip With A Gun!
    S400F Superlite Carbine - XL Tactical - 280k - 2250b - Striker 1000X - IZH MP-61 - Webley Bert - 2240 - C40 - El Gamo Centre - Walther CP88 - Sig Sauer GSR - Makarov MP-654

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Hi

Did you have a particular reason for avoiding the PCP route?
    I ask because certainly the FWB SSP's seem to go for aroung the same sort of prices as a second-hand Morini/Steyr/FWB PCP's at around the £500 mark...
    FAS' come up from time to time at about half the cost, have superb triggers and are very good their only bugbear being their low velocity.
    HW75's are about the same price as the FAS, but the triggers aren't really true target quality.
    The Gamo Compact suffers the same low velocity issues and the trigger is as rough as a badger's arse out of the box, but with just a little work can be made very good for no extra, it's saving grace being that at about £100ish second hand theres nothing else to touch it for the price.

BTW one seldom seen SSP that is very well made and most capable and definately worth trying is the Baikal IZH-46M....
    Last edited by harvey_s; 30-07-2012 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    The Gamo Compact needs a longer sear engagement screw fitting and the stamped sear faces stoned, polished and lubed, after that it is genuinely match grade.
    FAS 604, FAS 606, Pardini Fiocchi P10 and AirMatch 600 are all excellent SS
    p & turn up from time to time. If you came to the UBC Meet at The Greyhound in October you could try all of them to see which suits you best ;-)
    The advantage of SSP over springers is that a repair is only ever likely to require O rings and labour,
    Regards,
    Nick
    Cheers for that Nick, sounds like a very good idea.
    Whereabouts is the Greyhound then?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Chaps, thank you all for your feedback and views.
    Some very useful ideas and tips there.
    Will investigate a little more and probably do the Greyhound thing and see how I take to it.

FAS 604

Hard to beat for the money,very accurate and a lovely trigger.
    Life without happiness is no life at all.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Hi

Did you have a particular reason for avoiding the PCP route?
    Hi,
    I'm a bit of a dinosaur and have so far resisted going down the PCP route with my rifles. I like the idea of a gun being self-contained.
    With the PCP rifles, I'd want to avoid shot count issues and power curves.
    I would assume that the best PCP match pistols don't have power curve issues if sensibly monitoring shot count, but I would prefer spring / SSP.

The same would apply to CO2. Before anyone comments on guns in my siggy, yes I do own one CO2 pistol, the 2240, but this is intended more as a plinker. Again, I understand that the better, target-orientated CO2 pistols must be very good.

It's just me, dinosaur Tone!

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Hi,
    I would assume that the best PCP match pistols don't have power curve issues if sensibly monitoring shot count,....
    Yep, luvverly - no power curve, as regulated and in the case of the Morini - 200 shots per cylinder all within a few fps of each other and a cut-off when its time to recharge, so no shot counting required (and if you wanted a pump could easily remove any need for a divers bottle)

but I understand your reasoning, however I did notice you already own an HW40 which isn't exactly awful in the right hands...
    Last edited by harvey_s; 31-07-2012 at 12:09 AM.

Thumbs up 10M pistol

I would agree with the comments that the Compact with a tweaked trigger is a good starting point, ive retired from pistol shooting, and although i've sold most of my guns off recently i have retained a Compact for fun shooting i would also recommend the TAU7, & Alfa Pro classic co2 pistols both of which served me well, atb ...mike...

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Yep, luvverly - no power curve, as regulated and in the case of the Morini - 200 shots per cylinder all within a few fps of each other and a cut-off when its time to recharge, so no shot counting required (and if you wanted a pump could easily remove any need for a divers bottle)

but I understand your reasoning, however I did notice you already own an HW40 which isn't exactly awful in the right hands...
    Thank you for that. Very reassuring if I were ever to venture down the PCP route.

If all competitors at the highest level go down the PCP route, then it's patently the way to go.

Yes, the HW40 I find very accurate and forgiving. It's just that, as and when the budget allows, it would be lovely to own something fine and exquisite.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Cheers for that Nick, sounds like a very good idea.
    Whereabouts is the Greyhound then?
    All you need to know is HERE
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it