Thread: New to 10M (and forum)

New to 10M (and forum)

Hi all, i'm Rob from Newport. Just about to start 10M pistol shooting.

Never done it before but am really keen to delve in.

Have you got any tips for a complete newbie?

I'll be getting some coaching from an old friend and as things progress i'll keep you posted!

Regards

R

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Just join a 10 mt club, look on the NSRA club finder on their website to find one, don't buy a gun, use a club gun, get coaching, build experience and then only consider buying a pistol when you have done all that.
    Welcome to the sport.
    Good shooting
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Most club members will at least let you have a go with their pistols but some clubs do have some of their own guns, it may not seem as nice having to check the sights every time but it's something that has to be done anyway.
    I recently started 10m air rifle and bought an older gun I fancied but I've been shooting for most of the last 11 years and knew I'd like one regardless of what happens later. A club gun could work for you though and allow you to skip buying a lower level gun of your own to get started so you can gain some experience and save money for a better model if you decide to go that way.

Regards
    Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    Just join a 10 mt club, look on the NSRA club finder on their website to find one, don't buy a gun, use a club gun, get coaching, build experience and then only consider buying a pistol when you have done all that.
    Welcome to the sport.
    Good shooting
    Robin
    This really is the best advice available - go this route and you will not be dissapointed.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Many thanks for the advice. Allthough iv'e done my fair share of shooting in the past, none of it has been match. II think it's time to push myself and see what I can do!

Iv'e had a look and these guys are just doen the road from me...

http://www.warpc.co.uk/

Going in on thursday night to have a look around.

Cheers again

R

have a look at
    www.welsh-airgun.org.uk
    the welsh open championships are at the end of october in cardiff.
    well worth a look around or even take part!
    ditto the advise about joining a club.
    good luck
    steyr lp5,steyr lp10,hw77k,bsa buccaneer .177,bsa scorpion .177,original 6g
    happy with my lot!

Quote Originally Posted by J Grainger View Post
    Most club members will at least let you have a go with their pistols but some clubs do have some of their own guns, it may not seem as nice having to check the sights every time but it's something that has to be done anyway.
    I recently started 10m air rifle and bought an older gun I fancied but I've been shooting for most of the last 11 years and knew I'd like one regardless of what happens later. A club gun could work for you though and allow you to skip buying a lower level gun of your own to get started so you can gain some experience and save money for a better model if you decide to go that way.

Regards
    Jonathan
    Apart from the psychological boost from shooting 10s, don't worry about the sights on club guns. Aim correctly at the target (sub 6, very sub 6, whatever works for you) and work on getting groups, then smaller groups. It doesn't matter where they are on the card as long as you're grouping.

Then when you decide to go for your own gun, it's just a matter of bringing your group across to the 10 ring, with the sight adjustments.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.