Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What pcp for my first one?? recommendations please bsa ultra/scorpion???

What pcp for my first one?? recommendations please bsa ultra/scorpion???

Hi guys I enquired on here a few days ago asking about the basics of pcp rifles etc and had some great advice off a lot of you so firstly thanks for that,

I have decide now to get a pcp with a shot count of roughly 50-70 per charge as I intend to just get a decent pump with a moisture filter and take that out with me as I dont mind pumping as I'm used to pumping my crosman 2289 for each shot lol

I have been looking at/for a BSA Ultra as I feel this meetrs the requirements for what I need, I will preferably get a multishot in .177 as I only shoot targets and feel .22 is pointless for me,

A friend of mine is looking into getting a BSA scorpion tactical from a shop for 305, Is that any good? tbh I've never heard of that one where as the ultra seems to be a common rifle on here, How much would I be looking to spend on n ultra preferably with the tactical stock too as I'm not too fond of wood on rifles which is probably opposite to 99% of the shooting population, but each to their own lol

any help or other recommendations would be greatly received, the only thing bearing in mind is that I will be using a pump so won't be looking for a rifl with a high shot count on each charge, as far as money goes I have a bit stashed away and am willing to spend roughly £400 for now

cheers guys Thank you in advance

http://bsaog.co.uk/forum/index.php

I would register on this forum also, they have a good for sale section and the members are really very helpful. The Ultra Multishot is an awesome rifle, as is the T10 etc...

If funds will stretch consider the Scorpion SE...utterly superb outfit, well balanced with a reasonable shot count in .177

cheers mate,

ok I will check them out now

ATB

My aversion to BSA rifles is well known but putting that aside I would look for an Air Arms S400 second hand for the sort of money you want to spend. That applies to your friend too.
    We can discuss pumps until the cows come home. A lot of shooters start off with a pump and soon realise what a pain in the arris they are. Then they look for a charging cylinder. I suspect you will go the same way-we all have!!
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    My aversion to BSA rifles is well known but putting that aside I would look for an Air Arms S400 second hand for the sort of money you want to spend. That applies to your friend too.
    We can discuss pumps until the cows come home. A lot of shooters start off with a pump and soon realise what a pain in the arris they are. Then they look for a charging cylinder. I suspect you will go the same way-we all have!!
    Is it just preferance or bad experience against BSA out of interest?I was looking at an Air arms S200 also, Yes plan is to start with a pump for now and then move up to a bottle later on

thanks

for £400 ish I'd be looking at getting a higher quality secondhand rifle. You could get a daystate for that.

Quote Originally Posted by peterdaniels View Post
    Is it just preferance or bad experience against BSA out of interest?I was looking at an Air arms S200 also, Yes plan is to start with a pump for now and then move up to a bottle later on

thanks
    I think the quality of build of BSA rifles is just not good enough. This is a pity as BSA is one of the great names of British industry and rifles such as the Airsporter are truly iconic. If you trawl through posts on here you will read quite a few along the lines of 'send it to John Bowkett for 'blueprinting'. This is unacceptable to me. John is a top class airgun engineer who had a lot of input into the designs of BSA precharged rifles such as the S10. He does excellent work which to me shouldn't be necessary if the rifle had been built to spec in the first place.But it wasn't!! Corners were cut and it shows. You will get the BSA fans disagreeing but hey ho such is life in this age of scrap and replace. I owned one BSA rifle-a single shot Ultra which actually wasn't bad although the stock looked as though it should be used on a much bigger rifle. A good friend owned a Hornet where the loading probe just pinged off into the air because it was made of- erm- not good enough materials and where the magazine system needed a lot of work to get it right. Corner cutting which is not found on Air Arms rifles which aren't that much different in price. I know where my hard-earned would be spent at that price point.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Would recommend the S200 Or the 400/410 Dont think you can go wrong with either of these.

I had an ultra recently, very nice short easy to handle lightweight rifle, not great on build quality and the loading/cocking mechanism was abit of a pain, 177 very fiddly but there is plenty of them about. I have recently bought a super10 carbine and for the money I should waited and found an S200, certainly a step up from an Ultra for the same kinda money. And try to handle a tactical and wood stocked ultra if you can, I lusted after one (love my tactical stocked shotgun) until I handled both and found it felt very cheap compared to the wood stocked one, almost like a toy. Also no pressure guage that was a pain you have to count out your pellets everytime, but it is your choice.
    good luck

If your after a BSA then get a superten as your 1st one I did and I loved it!
    With a 232bar 200cc bottle you have in excess of 180 shots per fill and second hand they range from 300 to 500 for a real decent one!

ATB
    Jamie
    Last edited by pelletpower; 13-07-2012 at 05:01 PM.

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Short One View Post
    Would recommend the S200 Or the 400/410 Dont think you can go wrong with either of these.
    Absoloutely.

Dont forget that until some of the electronic daystates came along these rifles were winning a lot of comps.

AA tend to evolve, so what has gone before has been improved on.

No rifle is perfect, but the cheapest PCP I ever owned was a 410k, and it was the most reliable, only being beaten in the consistency states by the HW100.

My Daystate Huntsman was never up to much and never compared with either.

PS...Bottle, Bottle, Bottle, Bottle....get the point??;-)
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

I thought I had a decision sussed and now I'm all over the place lol

great advice again thanks for that,

Starting to see that I might aswell get something with a higher shot count then so I can charge it from a bottle and do that before I go out, I usually do atleast 150-200 pellets when I go out, depending on the weather of course, rather than use a pump as i hear its going to be a pain and not as good for the gun as clean divers air...

decisions...

Air Arms all the way,
    BSA live on their old reputation amongst shooters, if they were a new company people would not put up with their faults/quality issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    good advice from Rapidnick, s400 one of the best value pcp out there and accurate.

Peter, I'm in exactly the same boat as you !!
    Went along to Castleton FTC last week and after firing a few pellets (hit a 35 yard target twice with my first ever 2 pellets), I was hooked. Now looking for a PCP set up as well