Thread: Unable to sight my brand new FWB 700 ALU

Unable to sight my brand new FWB 700 ALU

Please excuse me if this isn't the right thread..but I seek the expert advise from all of you fellow shooters.

I have imported one Feinwerbau 700 ALU (brand new boxed), and later in the week I visited my local club for sighting..

The shots starting to go on the top-left of the target, and after various clicks on the rear sights the shots grouped in the left on the centre,

but even after clicking the sight (till they refused to click further, i.e. the extreme end), the shots remained in the left..

I tried virtually everything - but the shots remained in the left of the centre, so I figured out that the elevation is working fine on the sights, but the windage isn't working!!!

Has anyone of you - experienced this before?? please share with me your comments / advises.

Thanks v much

If you have clicked it fully one way, then note the position of the central tunnel and click it fully the other way and see if it moves. Alternatively you can check it on a dial test indicator.

If all else fails then contact FWB Service UK, they are in the Northants area.

Rutty

Hi,

I hope I'm not insulting you if I ask whether or not you are using a stand or support to sight the rifle, preferably with a rear support at well (I find it makes life a lot easier)? And does the rearsight move when you turn the windage screw? And have you checked the foresight? If that is off centre then everything else will be.

let us know how it goes,

Steve

Front sight adjustment

I am not familiar with your particular airgun but in a general way and assuming the barrel and /or the front sight are free to rotate about their axis before being clamped in place, you might consider the following:

Mount the rear dioptre on your gun and adjust the L/R knob till the pinhole is in the exact centre of the sight.
    Do the same for the H/L adjustment.
    Take a few shots at the normal range you will be shooting at.

Now disregard the H/L adjustment for a while and note where the L/R centring adjustment cited earlier has placed your shot.
    If the shots landed within a few mm's of your aim point , you are nearly there, but if they landed well away from the aim point, then the front sight needs to be rotated slightly towards the left if the shots landed to the left and vice versa if they landed to the right.

If the front sight is dovetailed or mechanically locked on to the barrel, the barrel and sight will have to be rotated. If not, release the front sight clamping arrangement only and adjust by rotating the front sight itself.
    The amount of rotation required is usually very very small.

Take another few shots and repeat as necessary till the shots are landing at your aim point without adjusting the rear sight.
    The barrel and front sight are now centred with the rear dove tails holding the rear sight.

Now you can start fine tuning by using the L/R knob on the rear sight itself.
    Similarly for the H/L adjustments to bring the shots vertically on target.

Hope that helps.

Barrel straight?
    Canting?
    Dovetails machines straight?
    Front insert fitted correctly? (on some older guns you can turn them the wrong way around, than they dont center in the tunnel)
    Barrel crown ok?
    What pellets do you use?
    What stand do you use? Many technique mistakes can cause lefties
    ATB,
    yana

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Check to be sure as per Rutty's instruction that the sight is actually moving, look through the front of the sight and take it side to side, you will see it move across the block, its obvious, and the range should be more than enough to take up the acceptable differences, and they should be shooting centre with the peep hole not that far away from centre visualy.

Also check that the windage knob grubscrew is tight, you may just be rotating the knob and not moving the sight.

Then check the front barrel weight/tube that the fore sight is mounted on is correctly located and secured correctly to the barrel, i.e upright not turned, they are only held by grub screws and if loose can turn.

Not sure what your model is but I presume it has the cantilever risers, if so, they can be different front to back which will upset the elevation range, and it is difficult but just possible to slightly misalign them side to side which will mess up the windage but I doubt enough to run out of sight adjustment. To be safe its best to have both the risers either fully up or fully down.
    It does not take much to change shot centre but there should be masses of range in the sight to correct it.
    Good Luck!
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Thumbs up Thanks to everyone for their feedback

Thanks to all of you, who have helped me by giving various suggestions.

Upon closely checking the rear-sight, I figured out that the sight was not physically moving towards the right side, even if the knobs were twisted right to the end.

So I told my dealer about this problem, although he was sure that the sights were not faulty, and I was doing something wrong...but thankfully he agreed to replace the sights, which I received yesterday...

....and in under half hour, I managed to put 5 shots thru the same hole, in the dead centre of the target..!!!

that was a relief...I had wasted more than 3-4 hours trying to align the shots, in my range last week..!!

thanks again