Thread: air logic genesis - modern classic

sniper22 Guest

air logic genesis - modern classic

in the years 1985-86 i was trying to save up enough money (£460) to buy the most stunning airgun id ever see in the mags. at the time i earned £57 a week!
    the gun in question was the air logic genesis, designed and built by accrington gunsmith, richard spencer.
    the money was raised and try as i might, i never found a genesis in any gunshop.
    last week i was in blackpool air rifles when i spotted "bess" on the wall.
    "bess" is number 149 out of 175 genesis rifles made. in '86 she was bought by target sports owner, ian kirby as a future investment.
    she stayed in the box, untouched and awaiting a pellet until a few years ago whe she was bought by a gentleman in liegh, lancs.
    still unused and boxed, "bess" ended up as a private sale at blackpool.
    the oil in the ingenious sliding barrel had congealed and the beech could not be opened properly until i stripped and relubed it at home.
    the power was checked on my chrono and found to be unusually low at 9.8ft/lbs.
    a quick call to richard spencer at his shop, target technics in accrington was enough to make me realise that buying "bess" was a good move. richard couldnt have been more helpful.
    on thursday morning i took "bess" to be reunited with richard.
    the man is a genius, a true engineer and above all, a true perfectiionist. in ten minutes dead the gun was stripped and adjusted. the charge was zero! he wouldnt take payment from me so i asked if he had any of the period "mosquto mounts"? these have an offset ing and are rihards own design.
    out from the store room came richard clutching the original 80's bow with a mint, new mount inside.
    it was like finding a golden wonka bar ticket.
    i bid richard farewell and left to go and fit a scope and zero it.
    the gun came with ALL original paperwork, spare seals and a alloy silencer that richard told me was so rare he wanted to buy it. all still boxed and in a1, immaculate and mint condition, my genesis will be used as a sunday best gun and not put in a glass case.
    i looked for 20years for this gun and now i own one - a true modern classic.

thanks richard.

single stroke, sidelever pneumatic
    recoiless
    built in silencer
    12ft/lbs
    bolt action sliding breech
    walther barrel
    adjustable butt pad
    2 stage 4 way adjustable trigger
    9 1/2lb in weight
    .22 cal

the man, the legend - richard spencer

the jewel like silencer

period, boxed and mint mosquito mount.

mount with the offset clearly shown

fully adjustable trigger

bolt action breech area.

cocking linkage, all hand made.

sliding barrel inside the outer tube (acts as a bull barrel.

want one? richard has 1 left, ask him the price on 01254 237912

jus7in Guest

Offset ?

This may seem a stupid question but why is the scope mount offset ?

sniper22 Guest
    just a quirk of richards imagination i think. it was the only thing i needed to make the gun complete as it was in 1986.
    i spent all day zeroing the gun today and im shattered, its used about 500 pellets and its getting smoother to shoot and easier to cock.
    if its not raining on sunday, ill take it to bolton air gun society and have another play.
    considering the gun is 19yrs old and still as new condition, it still puts in 1 hole groups at 30yds.

Quote Originally Posted by jus7in
    This may seem a stupid question but why is the scope mount offset ?
    Well that's two of us that's daft then, 'cos I can't weigh that up either. Surely the windage adjustment is nearly impossible, or would need adjusting for every different range, as would elevation? I've had scopes where I've had to shim the inside of the dovetail to get the windage right. This setup must put it miles out? Isn't the whole idea to get the scope to line up centrally down the barrel?

Providing the the mounts are true,it makes no difference to setting up,the line through the scope should still be parallel to the barrel,just saves craning the neck on some designs,good idea actually.

jus7in Guest
    I'm still not convinced Andy ! Surely the scope needs to be centered of the barrel ? As far as I can see , using this mount you would only have a perfect zero at one set distance ?

sniper22 Guest
    im with you jus on this.

Smile airlogic

I have #046
    and would like to have any information on it.
    and if anyone has parts. where is Richard?? I am in the states .

ronjobbes@excite.com
    rj222@juno.com

Richard has a shop called Target Technics on 37 Whalley Rd, Accrington, Lancashire, BB5 1AS. His number is on the first post.
    Rgds,
    Dave.
    SkyDrive, Pics, manuals & more.

All you need now is an Air Logic scope

I used to own one - it was a 4-20 and would rangefind very well. I think it was based on one of the Hakko scopes.

Dave.

BobbyBall Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper22
    just a quirk of richards imagination i think. it was the only thing i needed to make the gun complete as it was in 1986.
    i spent all day zeroing the gun today and im shattered, its used about 500 pellets and its getting smoother to shoot and easier to cock.
    if its not raining on sunday, ill take it to bolton air gun society and have another play.
    considering the gun is 19yrs old and still as new condition, it still puts in 1 hole groups at 30yds.
    Obviously not you shooting the thing then.....
    or is the hole the normal 40mm diameter size?
    Last edited by BobbyBall; 09-06-2005 at 12:28 PM.