Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "O" rings - what lubrcates them best?

"O" rings - what lubrcates them best?

I have some Walther LP2 and LP3 pistols along with an LGR rifle that have previously been expertly resealed by Laurie.

All of them are working perfectly, but to keep it that way I must find out what would be the best lubricant to use to stop them working dry and breaking up or tearing.

Laurie is not too sure what to use either, although we both agree that some lubricant would be desirable, and I am guesssing amongst the BBS membership there will be somebody who knows what works best.

"O" rings can be damaged by using the wrong lubricant - and eventually by not using any - so if anyone has any expert knowledge to share on this subject it could possible help a lot of people who have enjoyed having their airguns rescued by Laurie, but would like to avoid stripping and replacing the "O" rings for as long as possible.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Molykote 111 Silicone Compound is the stuff you need. Just a smear on the 'O' rings is all that's necessary.

ATB
    Eric
    Demic, miserable, grumpy old git! Feinwerkbau Sport Appreciation Society.
    I don't mind what sexual, religious or political persuasion you are, just don't impose them on me!!

Probably agree, but some gun makers say never put silicon lubes anywhere near thier guns!

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Probably agree, but some gun makers say never put silicon lubes anywhere near thier guns!
    Quite right Phil, never use silicone lubes where there is metal to metal contact. Fine to use on 'O' ring seals where there isn't any metal to metal contact.
    I don't mind what sexual, religious or political persuasion you are, just don't impose them on me!!

Quote Originally Posted by Herpquest View Post
    Quite right Phil, never use silicone lubes where there is metal to metal contact. Fine to use on 'O' ring seals where there isn't any metal to metal contact.
    Yes, but then o rings are usually somewhere near contacting surfaces. And what if tiny blobs of silicon get blown throught the whole gun!?

I know its often suggested to use the tinyest anount of silicon grease.

And I've heard SM50 recommended instead, which is silicon and moly, isn't it??

If I was rebuilding a match weapon - I wouldn't know what to use. I'd be scared Eric, really scared

Phil

they did have a moly/silicon oil for air cylinder lube years ago but only used it once in a gun i once had. all oils diesel so dont think it does the seal much good. chris

Crosman do the pellgun oil,which they say is specially for pneumatics and rubber seals.

I have an LP3, and I would use Silicon oil if I could get at the piston seal,Because the seal runs on the side walls ,
    it's not metal on metal ,
    I have used transmision oil instead as the piston can't be got at ,, I use transmision oil instead of pell gun oil in all my other Co2 and pump type guns, (not in springers or pcp's or metal on metal ),
    Transmision oil is a lot cheaper and does the same thing as pelgun oil .
    , .22 Midas , .177 TX200 SR. ZASTAVA PISTOL.177.

Molykote 111 Silicone Compound is the stuff you need. Just a smear on the 'O' rings is all that's necessary.

ATB
    Eric
    Good advice Eric. Or Molykote 33, i've been using it for years, and it's the only lube that Theoben recommend.

Silicone has been known to damage bluing, that's one of the reasons gun manufacturers warn against it.

Absolutely.

Yes, but then o rings are usually somewhere near contacting surfaces. And what if tiny blobs of silicon get blown throught the whole gun!?

I know its often suggested to use the tinyest anount of silicon grease.

And I've heard SM50 recommended instead, which is silicon and moly, isn't it??

If I was rebuilding a match weapon - I wouldn't know what to use. I'd be scared Eric, really scared

Phil
    Don't panic Mr Rickenbacker!
    "..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."

Pellgun oil is a 20 or 30W Non Detergent motor oil.But the red colour in it,is meant to be a seal conditioner.Which makes sense seeing as crosmann have been making pnuematics and co2's for decades.
    I don't know personally as I've not used it yet.This info was gleaned from another forum.

....molykote 111 all the way for me,ive went through 1k of the stuff over the last 3 months,i add it to my oring kits and used it myself on over 230 services!

nikonf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by the logun-ator View Post
    ....molykote 111 all the way for me,ive went through 1k of the stuff over the last 3 months,i add it to my oring kits and used it myself on over 230 services!
    A silicon grease should be used, any petroleum based product is a no-no. Silicon grease is non reactive with "O" rings.

I have used sunflower oil before with no problems, & use good service

Please dont cringe everyone but I use my motorcyle chain wax.This stuff is designed for o ring motorbike chains