Thread: Which Target rifle?

Which Target rifle?

I'm going to be applying for a firearms licence in about a month and was looking for some advise on which .22 target rifle I should get for shooting bench rest? Its going to be used for 25m up to 100m.
    Not concerned about price as much as accuracy, so any rifles for intermediates up to advanced.
    Would a custom rifle be preferable? I was looking at rimfire magic but not sure about there suitability.

Any advise would be appreciated. Cheers

Depending on budget. Custom stocks are used quite a lot in their class.
    And Anschutz actions are used a lot too. (the 54 actions and younger).
    ATB,
    yana

For accuracy in Bench Rest shooting, get a bolt action. Semi-autos (like Rimfire Magics 10-22s) take a lot of money to shoot accurately, and still won't quite compete. I'd look for an Anschutz Match 54; these are often sold by a four digit model number. The first two digits represent the production series, and the rough age: 14 = 1954-1980 (rifles made between 1977 and 1980 are often known as 16 not 14); 18 = 1980-87; 19 = 1987 to present; 20 is a slightly different rifle. Rifles made after 1977 have a much nicer trigger. Alternatively you could look at Walther or FWB. A BSA Martini international could be right if you can find one that's not been shot much; avoid ex-club rifles as these are often used heavily and not properly maintained.

Anschutz Match 54; A BSA Martini international could be right if you can find one that's not been shot much;

i`ve got a mk3 martini and i would never sell it, it will group 5 shots in the size of your thumb nail at 50m
    with the fitted apature open sight ph25/ph1 either the bsa or anschutz you cant go wrong
    how does it work? i don`t know but it does

Be nchrest

Quote Originally Posted by Paulgsvr View Post
    I'm going to be applying for a firearms licence in about a month and was looking for some advise on which .22 target rifle I should get for shooting bench rest? Its going to be used for 25m up to 100m.
    Not concerned about price as much as accuracy, so any rifles for intermediates up to advanced.
    Would a custom rifle be preferable? I was looking at rimfire magic but not sure about there suitability.

Any advise would be appreciated. Cheers
    A Walther or Anschutz,as has been suggested is the way to go.Fit a flat plate to the front end so it sits in the front rest and your up and running.
    When you get bitten by the benchrest bug then look to uprate.Fitting a benchrest stock to your rifle may be all you need.
    Have a look at the UKBR22 forum ,you can pick up ideas of there.John F.