Thread: Help for a wet behind the ears newbie - and blank loads

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    yep but to be using a true revolver ,as i said the lad whom i saw his weapon was a peacemaker which forward vented but no true bore it would only vent flash and the small seed husks ,so made for the job
    Well food for thought, I already have forward venting partially blocked pistols, but I haven't got into making my own rounds, and the .38 ones i bought (which have wax in the end) are about twice as loud as a 9mm and have a very good range.

I need a halfway house, so hoping that a percussion revolver will allow me to use a smaller blast with better effect as the barrel is clear

Sorry to say that I'm trying very hard, so far I confess with no success, to get my head round the fact that you seem to have been granted an FAC for a Section 1 BP revolver in order to shoot bloons from the back of a norse.

Have I got it right? [Over the way nobody is going to believe this].

Me being nosey - what was your 'good reason' to acquire this Section 1 firearm? It cannot have been target shooting, since you don't actually shoot it at the target -or do you? It can't be pest control either, unless you feel that bloons are somehow threatening to your livestock or crops.

So please, just put my mind at rest and tell me, and no doubt, a few others, what prompted your county Chief Constable to make his [to me] surprising decision.

tac
    vcrai.com

Oh dear - so this is my first post and the only "help" you guys can offer is to pick apart my FAC application!

Can we stick to the subject here, or has no one experimented with different types of powders and numbers of grains?

Ieazo is offline Tony hawk's stunt double...Just the face though
    I am reading this with interest, sorry I can't offer any help but good luck.

Have you any more pics, or links?

I do admit I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall at your FAC interview bet you raised an eyebrow or two but that's not to say your reason is any less valid than target or hunting so hats off to you and again, good luck.
    I like tinkering and banging

So do I really need a re-enactment forum for good advice over blank loads?

I would like know silly things, for example with no ball the best way to stop everything falling out if you are careering round on horseback. The safety of my horse is my #1 priority and hence why I will be off to a club to learn how to handle these.

The sport is here: www.britishtentpegging.com

We have a GB team, this is an FEI sport and appears in the Asian Olympics. So it's legit

Quote Originally Posted by artschool View Post
    what a great hobby!
    Well it beats most horse sports for the fun factor! Plus I'd like to think it's more interesting to watch too.

A paper or cardboard cartridge with just powder in could be ok. There are many different ways of making them shown on youtube, one example here.
    If you haven't got an explosives licence for the blackpowder you can use pyrodex.
    Daz

Obscure as hell but it sounds legit. You have to excuse us for our caution, not only do we have concern about non legit activity but we are under the microscope by people outside shooting.

I know reenactors who have "live" guns but can only shoot them with blank charges so you would not be alone there. The comment that you used cartridges was what threw me but I guess forwards venting blank firer on ticket with good reason sounds not so bad.

Now lets look at the problem, you would do best to homeload blanks for the cartridge blank firer, the primer system is more reliable. That would be doable in a centerfire case.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Quote Originally Posted by pegger View Post
    Oh dear - so this is my first post and the only "help" you guys can offer is to pick apart my FAC application!

Can we stick to the subject here, or has no one experimented with different types of powders and numbers of grains?
    Not 'guys', just me, and I'm sorry to have caused you any offence. Given the rather wacky laws regarding acquisition and possession of firearms over here, it's not something I'd ever heard of and I'm pretty certain I'm not the only one here. It's just that the others are too polite, but I'm just an old soldier and if I want to know something, I ax.

Let's all calm down, eh?

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Sorry to say that I'm trying very hard, so far I confess with no success, to get my head round the fact that you seem to have been granted an FAC for a Section 1 BP revolver in order to shoot bloons from the back of a norse.

Have I got it right? [Over the way nobody is going to believe this].

Me being nosey - what was your 'good reason' to acquire this Section 1 firearm? It cannot have been target shooting, since you don't actually shoot it at the target -or do you? It can't be pest control either, unless you feel that bloons are somehow threatening to your livestock or crops.

So please, just put my mind at rest and tell me, and no doubt, a few others, what prompted your county Chief Constable to make his [to me] surprising decision.

tac
    vcrai.com
    Totally unhelpful. Also implies he's telling lies!

The more FAC's granted to sane, sensible people for whatever legal purpose they desire the better for us all in the long run.

Good luck to you,sounds like fun!

As for blanks you could try 30 or so grains of BP or Pyrodex. But you will need something to compress it and also hold it in the chamber at a gallop! You couldn't use a wad as it would become a projectile. Over the pond the re-enactors use the green florists foam. Supposed to disintegrate almost straightaway. Give you lots of smoke and flame!

Quote Originally Posted by farmer7 View Post
    As for blanks you could try 30 or so grains of BP or Pyrodex. But you will need something to compress it and also hold it in the chamber at a gallop! You couldn't use a wad as it would become a projectile. Over the pond the re-enactors use the green florists foam. Supposed to disintegrate almost straightaway. Give you lots of smoke and flame!
    Sorry dumb question alert! So we use florist foam in the long cased rounds and then turps and wax on the top. However in this case would you compress the load then add the foam, as otherwise the foam would be very squished? Or squish everything?

Also can you preload a chamber to take to a venue? Or must it always be done on site. As in it would be convenient to be all set up, remove gun from safe and compete straight away (usually don't have that much time to prepare depending on the venue).
    Last edited by pegger; 05-08-2012 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer7 View Post
    Totally unhelpful. Also implies he's telling lies!
    I refute that totally. I am asking in order to find out, not to prosecute or persecute. Given the rather odd firearms laws in this country, especially regarding the discharging of a live Section 1 firearm [from horseback] and add to that that the sport is obscure enough for me never to have heard of it, I think it's fair for me to ask how it was achieved.

I have already posted an apology to the OP, but I do not intend to apologise to you as well. If you don't like my post, please complain to the management, and THEY can deal with it by suspending or banning me.

tac