Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acrylic paint to blackout fiber optic sights.

Acrylic paint to blackout fiber optic sights.

Depending on the lighting, I found the fiber optics "haloed " at times on my HW45 and 40. Also for precise target work they're not as good as black post and notch. A simple and reversible solution is to put a dot of black acrylic paint on both or just rear sight. It comes off with a scrape of finger nail. I'm currently working with both covered for target practice, but it definitely helps to at least have the rear sight blacked out like the Alecto with red at front and black at rear. Bought mine at "Stationary box " 99p, 2fl oz bottle.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    I've got to fully agree with you on this one, open sights with dots were designed for fast aquisition of man-sized targets in adverse light conditions, not precision shooting
    ATB,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Another little tip, is to over paint each fiber optic with similar coloured acrylic to subdue the light but not kill it.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by peteswright View Post
    Depending on the lighting, I found the fiber optics "haloed " at times on my HW45 and 40. Also for precise target work they're not as good as black post and notch. A simple and reversible solution is to put a dot of black acrylic paint on both or just rear sight. It comes off with a scrape of finger nail. I'm currently working with both covered for target practice, but it definitely helps to at least have the rear sight blacked out like the Alecto with red at front and black at rear. Bought mine at "Stationary box " 99p, 2fl oz bottle.
    You are so right about those rear sights. Changing the subject slightly, I've sometimes found that I need to temporarily change the front blade to a colour instead of black. A dab of Tippex turns it white, then it can be coloured using dayglo red or orange marker pen. And like the acrylic paint, comes off with a scrape of the fingernail.

Quote Originally Posted by lesj View Post
    You are so right about those rear sights. Changing the subject slightly, I've sometimes found that I need to temporarily change the front blade to a colour instead of black. A dab of Tippex turns it white, then it can be coloured using dayglo red or orange marker pen. And like the acrylic paint, comes off with a scrape of the fingernail.
    Yep, another option. I don't mind the fiber optics, but they're not ideal for every situation. At least you have versatility using paints, so best of both worlds.

Fibre optics

I've modded my 1377 with a fibre optic front sight and a peep hole at the rear, I find that the round fibre optic is great when using the peep as they are both round, very much like using aperature sights and very accurate.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by queens_own View Post
    I've modded my 1377 with a fibre optic front sight and a peep hole at the rear, I find that the round fibre optic is great when using the peep as they are both round, very much like using aperature sights and very accurate. Ken
    Don't know how you've put fiber optic on front sight of 1377, but sounds ok with peep. Ive occasionally tried a spot of tippex, but not turned to the peep sight, favoring groove at rear.

Fibre Optic 1377

Hi Peteswright,
    I wrote to Crosman (Europe) and asked if there were fibre optic sights for their pistols, I received a reply stating NO! but why did I not get a fibre optic sight and modify my own sight by super gluing it onto it.......
    as I had an old F.O. sight that came off my SMK S3 pistol..I did just that and it is very successful, I have now purchased spare fibre optic rods from the USA in order to do more mods, if you shop around you can usualy get what you want from the US.
    Ken

FYI, Fibre optic rods are available cheaply and in several gauges and colours from most archery shops.

Might save you some hassle over ordering from the US.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

These tips

i will try with my Black Star but i have to say i am liking these standard fibre optic jobs in the gathering gloom
    and on dark targets set against shadewillie

Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post
    FYI, Fibre optic rods are available cheaply and in several gauges and colours from most archery shops.

Might save you some hassle over ordering from the US.
    Not that I know of any archery shops in my area, but what do archers use fiber optics for?

Quote Originally Posted by queens_own View Post
    Hi Peteswright,
    I wrote to Crosman (Europe) and asked if there were fibre optic sights for their pistols, I received a reply stating NO! but why did I not get a fibre optic sight and modify my own sight by super gluing it onto it.......
    as I had an old F.O. sight that came off my SMK S3 pistol..I did just that and it is very successful, I have now purchased spare fibre optic rods from the USA in order to do more mods, if you shop around you can usualy get what you want from the US.
    Ken
    Did you just stick a piece of rod on top of front sight?

Quote Originally Posted by peteswright View Post
    Not that I know of any archery shops in my area, but what do archers use fiber optics for?
    Sights, I have one on the scope on my target bow, and 3 seperate ones zeroed for different ranges on my hunting bow. Great for compounds but with recurve I prefer an open reticle without an aiming point (it's more about technique than aiming).
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post
    Sights, I have one on the scope on my target bow, and 3 seperate ones zeroed for different ranges on my hunting bow. Great for compounds but with recurve I prefer an open reticle without an aiming point (it's more about technique than aiming).
    We live and learn. As you can tell I know nothing about archery. Thanks.

Fibre Optic rods

Regarding my 1377 I literaly cut the rod off of the old sight and super glued it on top of the new one, as for getting the spare rods in the UK, I tried googling for them with little success at a price I wanted to pay...then I found a US company called 'NorthWoodsOutpost of MN' on that seemed reasonable, I have also purchased parts from a company called 'Airgunsmith' again in the US for parts to my 1377 and they are both very very good on postage and of course its $ not £s, we are generaly ripped of in this country...just imafine a brand new 1377 for $59.
    Ken