Thread: Feinwerkbau 603.

Feinwerkbau 603.

I have finally got my 603 home - and what a beauty she is.

As I took it from its cardboard sleeve and out of the foam packaging, I found it hard to believe that it had even shot the claimed 100 pellets - it really is "as new" and I am delighted with it - a worthy replacment for my 601 ( a rifle I sold in a weak moment and regretted it ever since).

However, this rifle has a feature I did not have on my 601, and although it is not shown or mentioned in the owners handbook, it does look like it is an original part and not an aftermarket accessory.

On the left hand side of the loading flap there is a long tube that points backwards. As the flap opens this tube moves backwards, and when pushed forwards again it closes the flap - but not completely as it still needs pushing downwards from above to latch it closed as pushing this tube cannot do this.

I cannot see the point of having this partial closing option - so does anyone know why it is fitted and what it's advantage could be?
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

I think it is a recoil absorbing device. It contains a small piston that absorbs the minimal recoil from a PCP or SSP. The same device is still fitted to current PCP FWB rifles. The FWB company website contains exploded diagrams of all FWB rifles and you can see the design of this tube and the piston inside it. To close the gun, push the flap down rather than pushing the tube. I am sure that someone who is very educated on the technical side of 10-metre shooting will be along soon to explain how the absorber works.

Oh - thanks for the explaination - maybe that also explains the black plastic circlip that can be slid along it - presumably to adjust the recoil in some way?

It seems strange to have this feature - but not to include it in the rifle drawing inside the handbook cover, or to explain its function. In fact there is no mention of it at all!

Do all 603 rifles have this, or was it something added to the later production - maybe this would explain why the handbook does not mention it as the handbook would not have been updated if the rifle was at the end of its production time?

If anyone has an answer for this the rifle number 317907 may help identify the production date. The dioptre is marked 4/04 but I can see nothing that looks like a date stamp on the rifle itself.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Oh - thanks for the explaination - maybe that also explains the black plastic circlip that can be slid along it - presumably to adjust the recoil in some way?

It seems strange to have this feature - but not to include it in the rifle drawing inside the handbook cover, or to explain its function. In fact there is no mention of it at all!

Do all 603 rifles have this, or was it something added to the later production - maybe this would explain why the handbook does not mention it as the handbook would not have been updated if the rifle was at the end of its production time?

If anyone has an answer for this the rifle number 317907 may help identify the production date. The dioptre is marked 4/04 but I can see nothing that looks like a date stamp on the rifle itself.
    Powderfinger is spot on, Bob. The anti-recoil device was the key development that distinguishes the standard 603 from the 602 (along with an improved stock mounting bolts arrangement, butt hook and updated sights). I have seen them retrofitted to earlier models, though I don't know how well, or how effectively. Occasionally you also see a 603 with the recoil absorber absent. I'm not sure why the handbook doesn't mention it. Probably because it doesn't require any operation as such.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

The tube is indeed an absorber. It contains a piston, a floating tapered pin, a spring, a plastic cup & a screw.

It is held in place with 2 x 2.5mm screws, between which is a small o ring under the aluminium body.

The plastic circlip referred too covers a hole in the absorber body through which adjustments are made.

Adjustments can only be made when the absorber is in it's most rearward position & is by means of a screw.

The system works by bleeding a small amount of air from the transfer port upon firing & is only effective if correctly set up.

Yours is the later absorber as the earlier model did not have external means of adjustment.

Do they work.....well yes, but you have to be good to notice the difference as you will get more vibration from the tension being released off the cocking lever upon firing.

Oh yes, the piston travel should be between 12 to 17mm. If you do decide to alter it I suggest you download a FWB 700 manual where you will find instructions how to do it.

Hope this helps.....Enjoy
    IF IT'S NOT BROKE.........DON'T FIX IT!

[QUOTE=wonky donky;5599660]The tube is indeed an absorber. It contains a piston, a floating tapered pin, a spring, a plastic cup & a screw.

It is held in place with 2 x 2.5mm screws, between which is a small o ring under the aluminium body.

The plastic circlip referred too covers a hole in the absorber body through which adjustments are made.

Adjustments can only be made when the absorber is in it's most rearward position & is by means of a screw.

The system works by bleeding a small amount of air from the transfer port upon firing & is only effective if correctly set up.

Yours is the later absorber as the earlier model did not have external means of adjustment.

Do they work.....well yes, but you have to be good to notice the difference as you will get more vibration from the tension being released off the cocking lever upon firing.

Thank you very much for the above information - it certainly answers all my questions.

I am still surprised that there is no real explaination or even a mention of it in the 603 owners handbook, and it is not shown on the drawings inside the front cover either.

I am guessing Feinwerkbau must have been satisfied with this "piggy-back" absorber if they have continued with it on their 700 series of rifles.

Do you happen to know if it is also continued on the new 800 by any chance?

Feinwerkbau only ever seem to picture their rifles from the right hand side, and so we never get to see the left hand side where this absorber is located.

Oh yes, the piston travel should be between 12 to 17mm. If you do decide to alter it I suggest you download a FWB 700 manual where you will find instructions how to do it.
    Last edited by zooma; 10-08-2012 at 04:27 PM.

The absorber was developed for the P70 pcp rifles & was fitted to a few 602's & the 603. The idea was to remove the "rocket" effect from the precharged guns.

The 700's absorber is internal as is the 800's, but they are similar.

All variants recock if you like when you load.

On the 602/3 & P70 it is important to make sure the loading flap is as far back as possible otherwise the absorber may not reset properly, don't assume by cocking the rifle the loading flap is all the way back, they have a tenancy to stick at times especially if the absorber is not set correctly.
    IF IT'S NOT BROKE.........DON'T FIX IT!

Quote Originally Posted by wonky donky View Post
    The absorber was developed for the P70 pcp rifles & was fitted to a few 602's & the 603. The idea was to remove the "rocket" effect from the precharged guns.

The 700's absorber is internal as is the 800's, but they are similar.

All variants recock if you like when you load.

On the 602/3 & P70 it is important to make sure the loading flap is as far back as possible otherwise the absorber may not reset properly, don't assume by cocking the rifle the loading flap is all the way back, they have a tenancy to stick at times especially if the absorber is not set correctly.

Thanks again - I am all knowledged-up now about the "tubular thingy" on the side of my 603 and will treat it with the respect this technology deserves.

I am actually quite impressed - and genuinely appreciate the technical answers and tips.

There you go Bob, you've now got your info from the man who knows every nut and bolt of these rifles - and from hands-on experience of working on them too. I always hesitate before answering threads in this section because I know that whatever grains of information I've picked up about match rifles over the year pale in comparison to Mr Donky's practical know-how (or worse, are found to be completely wrong!).
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

FWB 603 Explosion Diagram

Thanks again - I am all knowledged-up now about the "tubular thingy" on the side of my 603 and will treat it with the respect this technology deserves.

I am actually quite impressed - and genuinely appreciate the technical answers and tips.

Hi,

does somebody have a need for some details of FWB 603? https://www.feinwerkbau.de/ceasy/mod...n.php?id=550-0

Harry K

Thanks Harry but this thread was started in August 2012 (!) and unfortunately I made the big mistake of selling this wonderful rifle some time back and greatly miss it.

I do have a pair of really nice 601 rifles that I enjoy shooting from time to time but I have less spare time than I used to have so I may well be selling these soon as well so somebody else can enjoy them.

Thanks Harry but this thread was started in August 2012 (!) and unfortunately I made the big mistake of selling this wonderful rifle some time back and greatly miss it.

I do have a pair of really nice 601 rifles that I enjoy shooting from time to time but I have less spare time than I used to have so I may well be selling these soon as well so somebody else can enjoy them.

Since I wrote this reply I have sold one of my 601 rifles but I do still have another excellent example for sale:-

Serial number 101890. The blue finish on this rifle is excellent with no blemishes that I can see and the laminated wooden stock has no marks or scratches that I can see either so the rifle is in very good (well above average) condition overall. The rifle shoots very well and it accurate at 10 meters.

The rifle comes with the original FWB sights with good clear read-out dials and currently has a set of ALCRAFT riser blocks fitted that I had made to give the "heads-up" shooting position that I like to use. These have had very little use ( like the rifle) and are also in "as new" condition and are easy to remove if not required. Price £495.

I can also sell the rifle without these raiser blocks for £450 and I can arrange for it to be delivered by a very good "next day" carrier ( at the buyers risk) for £25.00.

I have taken some photographs of this rifle so if anyone is interested in adding it to their collection (or just wanting to own a superb SSP match rifle) please contact me by email or PM and I can send the pictures (by email) so its superb condition can be seen and checked-out.

Anyone that is seriously interested in buying it is invited to come and inspect it and shoot it at 10 meters at the Rossendale Club any Tuesday or Thursday evening (let me know you are coming before travelling!!) and test it before parting with any cash.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Indeed Wonky is the man for technical aspects of match rifles, and the only man I would use for repairs.

Does the device make any difference? I don't know on a 603, but it certainly does on a 700, although as Wonky says you have to be very good to notice the difference, and it takes care and feel to set them up precisely, and when you check them its surprising the number of 700's that are not set up correctly.

Have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?