Thread: Webley Alecto POP

Webley Alecto POP

Hi,

First post and I've a question about the Webley Alecto.

I understand my gun is a Mk2 .177 Alecto with the black cylinder. So far I've fired under a 1,000 pellets and the gun has been oiled as per the manual. No issues as far as it being reliable or accurate other than the retort is quite a loud crack!

I've noticed a couple of seconds after firing there's a small pop from the gun and wondered whether other Alecto owners experienced this and if so is it the gun's normal operation?

Comments and advice welcome.

Thanks,
    Last edited by Brittleview; 08-08-2012 at 05:04 PM.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    I have noticed this on my Alecto also - Mk1 with a mk 2 cylinder - though I couldn't say if I have noticed it recently.
    I seem to recall coming to the conclusion that I was over oiling it? Would that make sense in your situation?
    Good deals with these members

over oiling can cause a` hydraulic lock` in these pistols ,which can cause serious damage. I have even seen one with a split valve chamber caused by over oiling.
    One or two small droplets about every 1000 shots is all that is required.

Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Brittleview View Post
    Hi,

First post and I've a question about the Webley Alecto.

I understand my gun is a Mk2 .177 Alecto with the black cylinder. So far I've fired under a 1,000 pellets and the gun has been oiled as per the manual. No issues as far as it being reliable or accurate other than the retort is quite a loud crack!

I've noticed a couple of seconds after firing there's a small pop from the gun and wondered whether other Alecto owners experienced this and if so is it the gun's normal operation?

Comments and advice welcome.

Thanks,
    I haven't noticed a POP after firing on mine. I follow Nicks advice (magicniner) and use two drops of oil every half tin of pellets (250). So far so good, and have never done what the manual states. I follow this oiling routine with all my SSPs and multi pumps. I find one pump gives a nice moderate crack, two pumps louder, and never use use three.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Thanks for all the feedback which I'll take on board. It's much appreciated.

I should add I've not been over generous with oiling, strictly a couple of drops so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Brittleview View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback which I'll take on board. It's much appreciated.

I should add I've not been over generous with oiling, strictly a couple of drops so far.
    I find 5ml syringes bought from the bay handy for getting oil into my ssp's, rather than putting the oil bottle over the hole and squeezing. I let two drops just drip into the syringe then apply the plunger. Might sound bit anal, but it stop guess work, and spillage around the intake hole.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Mine pops some times. Just seams to be something about how it vents the last of the charge. i have found no connection between the pop and oiling it.

I've never had any pops.
    Followed the instructions re oiling as per the manual every 1000 or so shots.
    Mines a mark 2 I think with the slot for scope and black internals

My Alecto

never popped either but it did make a nice sharp report,a fine pistolwillie