Thread: Importing from the States.

Importing from the States.

If you found a sub 6ftlb PCP in the States that took your fancy, would it be a do-able thing to import one to the UK via your local gun shop.

Phil*
    Calm or unflinching in face of trouble, defeat, or loss. May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. If you can read this then thank a teacher. If you can read this in English then thank a soldier!.

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    International sales are not governed by VCR so you could have it delivered direct to your home address, you may be required to argue with customs as to whether it's legal in the UK and provide documents to prove this, HMRC will also lift your leg for Duty on what they think it's worth. Just to rub salt in the wound if the US shipper uses a sevice that is completed at this end by Royal Mail they too will want a chunk of money for effectively doing sod all
    Regards,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    International sales are not governed by VCR so you could have it delivered direct to your home address, you may be required to argue with customs as to whether it's legal in the UK and provide documents to prove this, HMRC will also lift your leg for Duty on what they think it's worth. Just to rub salt in the wound if the US shipper uses a sevice that is completed at this end by Royal Mail they too will want a chunk of money for effectively doing sod all
    Regards,
    Nick

Aye, thanks for that info - very interesting.

Bought a piece of reloading equipment from the States, a couple or three years ago, price was great - until it got held at the PO HQ in Sheffield, then it cost a small fortune to retrieve it.

One of my oppo's has brought one or two thing Stateside, and they were delivered straight to him - lucky bugger.

Regards

Phil*
    Calm or unflinching in face of trouble, defeat, or loss. May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. If you can read this then thank a teacher. If you can read this in English then thank a soldier!.

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Regards,
    Nick
    Supposedly, it is the handling charge for collecting tax/duty. If there is none to pay, then RM don't charge anything.

I've had several successful transactions from USA, but its not as cheap as it first appears, though it does mean you can get hold of things not readily available in UK.

Ian

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    I have sent sub-6 air pistols to the UK. Generally prices for a given piece are lower here in the US. Also, your pound beats our dollar, so your money goes farther here in the US than in the UK.

Many US suppliers won't ship overseas. Those that do, charge more than is warranted by international postage.

I can ship pistols to you, at cost. Private sales are legal on both ends and as Nick said, they can go directly to your home.

I mark them as gifts, and low-ball the value. But if / how much you get charged for import duties, I have no idea.

UK Customs also sometimes seizes air pistols for power-level testing. You will get the pistol, but with the inevitable delay.
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

US Postage and HM Customs

US postage is often too high and cancel out any savings. Items over $50.00 will usually be intercepted by HM Customs and you will also have to pay duty. The £ agains the € makes buying in Europe more viable, postage is cheaper and as you pay the equivalent of VAT, there is no duty to pay. I have recently bought a Gamo Extreme 10 shot, pump action .22 rifle and a Gamo .22 IGT whisper. You would need a FAC to own them in the UK as the legal limit on an air rifle or pistol in Spain is 18Lb/ft so you would need to shop around to find a wepon that complies with UK law.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    I have sent sub-6 air pistols to the UK. Generally prices for a given piece are lower here in the US. Also, your pound beats our dollar, so your money goes farther here in the US than in the UK.

Many US suppliers won't ship overseas. Those that do, charge more than is warranted by international postage.

I can ship pistols to you, at cost. Private sales are legal on both ends and as Nick said, they can go directly to your home.

I mark them as gifts, and low-ball the value. But if / how much you get charged for import duties, I have no idea.

UK Customs also sometimes seizes air pistols for power-level testing. You will get the pistol, but with the inevitable delay.

Many many thanks for the kind offer, much apreciated.

Money was burning a hole in my pocket, so I visited the local Gun shop and purchased a Brocock AimX Grand Prix Pistol on Saturday.

Kind Regards

Phil*

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    I know the feeling, Phil.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone