Thread: Muff pistol help please.

Muff pistol help please.

I saw one identical to this the other day, it had a smooth bore.

http://www.gunauction.com/search/dis...temnum=8851556

From searching, it looks to be a version/copy of the Manhattan Firearms Company. “Hero”.

Is this a modern reproduction?

Would it be legal to own without a FAC in the UK?

What would it be worth?

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    It sure looks like an antique piece from the photos. If so, no FAC is required to buy or own it, unless you plan to shoot it.

I have no idea of its value. Pretty little piece, though.
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

It goes without saying that the condition is all important, as is the maker. Some very ball-park figures for an english boxlock percussion muff pistol would be £200.00 to £300.00 in reasonably good nick. A flinter would be £300.00 to £500.00. If a flinter with a spring bayones £500.00+.

Repeat there are real ballpark figures. No idea about US prices.

Licence wise it must be a genuine antique AND has to be kept as a curio only, to be held without licence. Repros' have to be on ticket.

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Am I correct in thinking that a modern replica would be required to have some sort of markings?
    I looked very closely and there are no marks whatsoever, anywhere.

From trawling the net, the ones from Manhattan Firearms Company, and later American Standard Tool Company ones had serial numbers under the grip.
    This grip is riveted on so no way to check.

The above two were all stamped “Hero” but it seems some made in Liege had no marks.

Well, I've checked my collection of books and magazines going back to the early fifties, and I can't find ANY replica of this little gun, only the real thing. You are correct in assuming that a modern replica would be marked in accordance to the gun proof laws of the country of origin, and this type of pistol was invariably made in Belgium. Look, therefore, for the letters ELG over star in an oval cartouche, another little symbol that looks like Nelson's Column called the 'Peronne' and a few numbers and letter stamped here and there. BTW, another clue is the word 'BELGIUM'.

However, it IS a percussion arm of an unknown calibre [our American friends are pretty much useless measuring anything except inches or parts thereof] and looks to be an early nickel-plated brass-framed pistol, but not as old as you think it might be.

Pretty cute little piece but way overpriced in the US of A by at least $250.

tac

Wow!I had exactly the same pistol as a boy back in the 60's it was bought brand new while on Holiday with my parents in Spain so I think it is European made and probably Spanish.I never thought I would see one again,I used to use it as a 'cap' gun!It is most certainly not an antique and was made to shoot,the grips are plastic or at least the ones on mine were.I suspect it is around 45 years old or thereabouts.It was also very cheap to buy at the time which is why I was allowed to have it. ATB
    Last edited by mrto; 14-08-2012 at 02:28 AM.

Colt Pattern Percussion Replica

I would doubt the original would have had a cast Hammer, so v def a modernish European (guess) replica. Possibly with the proof marks "worn" away.
    Should be able to verify If one were able to strip parts and inspect for machine marks.
    H

The plot thickens!
    Homer, here is an original A.S.T. from 1873 with a very similar cast hammer: http://www.manhattanfirearms.com/files/DSCN1848.JPG

For what it is worth I am not mistaken the pistol I had was identical to this one I remember it very well.If you go to the link in the original post
    There are a couple of pics of the pistol on its side and if you look closely in one of the pics you can see evidence of a plastic molded
    'grain' in the grip.It does not look to me like aged wood.Like this one mine had no marks numbers proof stamps or otherwise.I
    am sure this is just a cheap copy of a cheap original.If you are interested I can add to this by PM.ATB

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post

However, it IS a percussion arm of an unknown calibre [our American friends are pretty much useless measuring anything except inches or parts thereof]

tac
    A calibre IS a part of an inch, Tac: a 1/100 part thereof.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    Wow!I had exactly the same pistol as a boy back in the 60's it was bought brand new while on Holiday with my parents in Spain so I think it is European made and probably Spanish.I never thought I would see one again,I used to use it as a 'cap' gun!It is most certainly not an antique and was made to shoot,the grips are plastic or at least the ones on mine were.I suspect it is around 45 years old or thereabouts.It was also very cheap to buy at the time which is why I was allowed to have it. ATB
    Mrto, are you sure that what you had wasn't an antique pistol being sold as a piece of junk?

I doubt that there was much collector's interest in percussion muff pistols in the 1960's.

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    For what it is worth I am not mistaken the pistol I had was identical to this one I remember it very well.If you go to the link in the original post
    There are a couple of pics of the pistol on its side and if you look closely in one of the pics you can see evidence of a plastic molded
    'grain' in the grip.It does not look to me like aged wood.Like this one mine had no marks numbers proof stamps or otherwise.I
    am sure this is just a cheap copy of a cheap original.If you are interested I can add to this by PM.ATB
    Hi,
    Yes please do PM any more info you have on this curiosity.
    The chap who owns the one I saw is a rather cagey old trout, so I'm not sure if he wanted to sell it to me, give it to me, or just get a free valuation.
    If it is a modern replica, I will just recommend that he "loses" it.
    By the way, tried to PM you, you need to clear your inbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    Mrto, are you sure that what you had wasn't an antique pistol being sold as a piece of junk?

I doubt that there was much collector's interest in percussion muff pistols in the 1960's.
    It was definately new,in those days in Spain reproductions of muzzle loading guns were plentiful.I remember visiting a gun shop and they had racks
    of reproduction Miquelet locked pistols and rifles for sale,not tourist die cast junk,but guns that were meant to be fired plus of course percussion and regular flintlock.ATB
    Last edited by mrto; 18-08-2012 at 05:30 AM.