Thread: Bitten by the bug

Target Shooter is offline I'll give you three guesses...

Bitten by the bug

I've just been out and had a crack with a couple of BP revolvers today, and I think I'm going to be sending in a variation very soon!

I'd always seen black powder pistols (and don't tell me off here!) as the noddy alternative to "real" pistols. But I was incredibly wrong! I used a couple of .36 1851 and 1861 models, I think they were Pedersoli today and I'm straight on the web looking for more information.

I'd like the idea of a stainless one, for ease of cleaning, and I doubt I'd use real blackpowder because of all the fuss involved with its storage and such. What sort of price would I be looking at for a full setup? I've seen some nice BP pistols for around the £100 mark, which I think is pretty reasonable for a firearm of any form.

Any guidance and useful dealer links would be greatly appreciated!
    Those entrusted with arms should be persons of some substance and stake in the country - William Windham
    Member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH Club

The paperwork for Black Powder is not hard to get, and in most cases its cheaper than the other type of powder

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

Have a look for a Ruger

Ruger Old Army. Production has ceased but you can still get the and they are good quality pistols.
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

Quote Originally Posted by lilguy43uk View Post
    Ruger Old Army. Production has ceased but you can still get the and they are good quality pistols.
    The one I have my eyes on is one of them!

£150 for a second hand one in fantastic nick that's stainless steel - Fair deal?
    Those entrusted with arms should be persons of some substance and stake in the country - William Windham

More likely to be in the £300-350 mark now that they have stopped making them [April 2008].

My local dealer has seven - five new and two s/h - the price difference is not too much that you'd really notice - £400-ish.

See the post THREE BELOW THIS one for a reality check on the market for a second-hand ROA.

They were never cheap option, apart from the beautiful Hege and Feinwerkbau Remington Model of 1858 copies of £800-900
    they were never less than premium prices.

IMO a new Pietta Remington in stainless would be a good buy, as would most of the Ubertis - who, btw, never made a stainless
    steel gun, to my knowledge.

tac

Your experience more or less mirror's mine - Had a go and got hooked on the smell, smoke and flash! I knew I didn't have the cash for a Ruger so kept my eye open for a second hand Remington 1858 - and one came up on here a few weeks later.

I am now the proud owner of a stainless Pietta 1858 Remington target model - mine for the princely sum of £50. It's not immaculate and does have an obvious repair to the loading lever retaining catch, but it shoots straight and got me up and running. If you can look for some one who is giving up black powder shooting, that way you may also pick up some of the other "consumables" at the same time.

Good luck!
    Buckle
    Proud member of The YCHJCYA2PDTHFH Club

Z1 Owners Club GB Wanted: Nothing at present!

The Remington Army Model of 1858 is the usual choice of beginners and old-timers alike. It's a pleasant handful and, because it has a solid top strap like any modern revolver, can be amazingly accurate. However, if you have moderately large paws, there are other choices.

Seldom seen, but a great revolver in its own right, is the Rogers & Spencer, another handful of a BP revolver that is a slightly different from the mainstream Remington or Colt look-alike. If you find one, it's worth a look.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    The Remington Army Model of 1858 is the usual choice of beginners and old-timers alike. It's a pleasant handful and, because it has a solid top strap like any modern revolver, can be amazingly accurate. However, if you have moderately large paws, there are other choices.
    That's the one I've found in Stainless Steel but it's called a "target" version? I can't find much difference or information regarding the differences

As said above, the Rogers and Spencer has slightly larger grips so is probably a better bet for those with big hands. Iv had mine for over ten years and it still shoots better than me. Mines the Euroarms London grey model with fixed sights and i can recomend one to anyone wanting a well priced b/p revolver.
    As far as powder goes dont be put off b/p because of storage and licence issues. It really isnt a big issue, licences are free and the box is easy enough to make if you did basic woodwork at school. Let us know what you get, Tim.

ps, if youve found a ROA for £150 grab it.

Quote Originally Posted by Target Shooter View Post
    That's the one I've found in Stainless Steel but it's called a "target" version? I can't find much difference or information regarding the differences
    Standard = fixed rear sights.

'Target' = micro-adjustable rear sights.

Otherwise, they are the same, including the less-than 'target' trigger.

tac

Thanks for the clarification tacfoley

Phoned up where I found the SS 1858 Remington today and they sold it yesterday Bummer

As Tim says use black powder its much cheaper, the licence is free and the storage box is simple to make yourself
    Careful with that axe Eugene

"Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php