Thread: lancashire newbie saying hello and help

lancashire newbie saying hello and help

Hello everybody
    I am a 51-year-old Lancashire lad “a little overweight and going grey”, hoping to get some advice And tips on the sport of 10m air pistol shooting.
    You all seem be [like me] a friendly lot, so I hope you don’t mind if pick your brains and use your experience to help me get started.
    I am running a borrowed Gamo compact at the moment, which is ok apart from nipping fingers and trapping clothes when reloading.
    I am thinking of having a spend on a pistol and is looking for a good dealer that has plenty of choice of competition standard pistols for me to look at that is located in my half of the country.
    I have bought the airgunner magazine and looked on't Tinternet but the choice seems to be mainly for rifles on not pistols.
    I am hoping to save time and petrol so any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks
    Dave

Welcome to the BBS

I also have a Gamo Compact (if you wanted to buy one, there was one in the 'Sales' section a couple of days ago - not mine I might add ).

There is a lot of choice with target pistols - do you have an approximate idea of budget? That would make it much easier to narrow down your choices and get something suitable.

Enjoy your stay

Target sports in Bolton have a terrific section on target pistols.

Contact Ian Jones I.J. on here as I believe there is a thriving 10m pistol club section atRivington Rifles.

Hope this helps.

SteveH

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by magicdog
    Welcome to the BBS

I also have a Gamo Compact (if you wanted to buy one, there was one in the 'Sales' section a couple of days ago - not mine I might add ).

There is a lot of choice with target pistols - do you have an approximate idea of budget? That would make it much easier to narrow down your choices and get something suitable.

Enjoy your stay

Hi Magicdog
    Thanks for reply, not sure on budget hoping to find a good dealer with a good choice who will give me some good advice, a good gun, at a good price
    CHEERS

Quote Originally Posted by SteveH
    Target sports in Bolton have a terrific section on target pistols.

Contact Ian Jones I.J. on here as I believe there is a thriving 10m pistol club section atRivington Rifles.

Hope this helps.

SteveH

Hi SteveH

I have had a look in Target sports and they seem ok, but would like to have a look at other dealers to compare prices and stock and i may just fall upon a nice second hand pistol if i have a good loook round.
    I have already made enquiries about rivington riflemen and i will definitely be joining [but so not to embarrass myself] i would like to be able to hit the barn door, first so will need a little practice
    Thanks Dave

Quote Originally Posted by tazmin91
    I have already made enquiries about rivington riflemen and i will definitely be joining [but so not to embarrass myself] i would like to be able to hit the barn door, first so will need a little practice
    Thanks Dave
    Dont worry about not hitting the 'barn door' (several of our members cant even see it never mind HIT it ) As long as your safe (and Im sure you are) your welcome.
    It would also be a grand opportunity to try a variety of other pistol from Styer ( ) to Tempest ( ) before making a shortlist.
    Last edited by I. J.; 02-04-2005 at 06:29 PM.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J.
    Dont worry about not hitting the 'barn door' (several of our members cant even see it never mind HIT it ) As long as your safe your welcome.
    It would also be a grand opportunity to try a variety of other pistol from Styer ( ) to Tempest ( ) before making a shortlist.
    That's some good advice - why not take along the Compact so you can compare with some others before committing yourself...

Quote Originally Posted by magicdog
    That's some good advice - why not take along the Compact so you can compare with some others before committing yourself...
    The club pistol is a Compact and has given many years of excellent service without fault. Many of our members started using this other other Compacts before going onto something more exotic and expensive. (And some of these didn't increase their scores )

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by I. J.
    The club pistol is a Compact and has given many years of excellent service without fault. Many of our members started using this other other Compacts before going onto something more exotic and expensive. (And some of these didn't increase their scores )

Hi I.J.
    I have read good revues on the compact, saying it’s a accurate pistol, but I think it’s the way its loaded that makes a pneumatic you fill with a bottle or possibly an under lever more desirable.
    If I stick with the sport will need to buy my own gun one day and there is some pistols that really look the business

I will call one Thursday at the club and say Hello
    Cheers
    Dave

Hi,Tasmin 91

You are welcome to have a go with my Steyr LP1 any Wed night and I am sure many others will probably insist you try their pride and joy.

Please bring along your Gamo , these are a good all roud gun to start with , in fact we have one as our club pistol.

Welcome on board and look forward to seeing you at the club.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by two screws
    Hi,Tasmin 91

You are welcome to have a go with my Steyr LP1 any Wed night and I am sure many others will probably insist you try their pride and joy.

Please bring along your Gamo , these are a good all roud gun to start with , in fact we have one as our club pistol.

Welcome on board and look forward to seeing you at the club.

Thank you Two screws
    if everybody in this sport who has made contact with me today, is as friendly as this "your'e my kind of people"
    Dave

Tazmin91 - Y.h.p.m. :d

Look! I keep telling you lot, that barn door keeeps moving.
    Come on down and join the lead affected pistol shooters.
    ATB
    Ray.